PDA

View Full Version : thats it i may be done.

Frontier-Lawn
09-08-2006, 10:48 AM
this make the 8th time in 1 week to run acroos this snake.
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/FL-GUIDE/Sistrur5.jpg
i dont mind black runners but this one just drives me up the wall.

lawnwizards
09-08-2006, 11:08 AM
what kind of snake is it?

hoskm01
09-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Carry a shovel with you?

Frontier-Lawn
09-08-2006, 11:11 AM
what kind of snake is it?
pigmy rattle snake

Total.Lawn.Care
09-08-2006, 02:25 PM

And it is still alive?????

craigs lawncare
09-08-2006, 02:34 PM

Can they out run a Z??

Craig

thesargent
09-08-2006, 03:23 PM
ohh man, that gives me the willies just seeing the picture. i cant stand snakes. i hit a small snake with my line trimmer once, yeah, i got snake guts across my face, i just about puked. i could hardly finish the day of work. it was NASTY!

geogunn
09-08-2006, 03:33 PM
i hit a small snake with my line trimmer once, yeah, i got snake guts across my face, i just about puked. i could hardly finish the day of work. it was NASTY!

yeah--I know the feling. I did the same thing with dog poo once.

GEO :cry:

Fantasy Lawns
09-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Are you sure .... that photo looks like a Cotton Mouth .....MUCH different snake than a little piqmy ..... the Cotton Mount is at least 2 foot up to 5 & is real FAT .... find em in swampy areas or larger retention ponds ... I've only seen 2-3 of em while working ...n that's in remote areas ....they are pissed off all the time n fast ... I go the other way

The little pigmy is at best 18 inches long n 1/2 round ...n that would be a BIG one .... most 12 inches n 1/4 round .... they can't bite into a leg or arm only the tip of a finger .... like the lady in Lowes down in Melbourn e last week in the garden deptment (cha ching$$)

Here a pigmy in my front walk way .... he's backed up against a 3/4 pipe

http://fantasylawns.com/pigmy1.jpg

caught him n threw him in the refugee behind me ... they do get all pissed off .... kinda cute .... they run in front of the mower .... stick their head up n run

Fantasy Lawns
09-08-2006, 03:49 PM
http://fantasylawns.com/pphung.jpg

Here's a dead one ... beautiful snake thou

geogunn
09-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Here a pigmy in my front walk way ....

doesn't a pigmy "rattlesnake" have rattles?

GEO :confused:

Fantasy Lawns
09-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Ya ... but they're real small .... they act like a larger one .... get all curled up ....pissy.... strike ... real aggressive snake .....but the rattles don't really come up like on a cotton mouth ... THOSE you can hear .... can't hear a pigmy n they don't shake the tail .... .real aggressive like snake ....gotta wear gloves when working in mulch bed areas (more so fore the black widows")

Nosmo
09-08-2006, 05:32 PM
I cut 'em up with weedeaters , riding mowers and sling blades to name a few methods to get rid of them.

I don't like them at all . A few months back there was a guy who was going to auction a 2-headed one off on E-Bay for around 100,000.00 or more. I wouldn't give 2 cents for the thing and I said if that damned thing was to get close to me it would not be long until it had no heads. :-)

Nosmo

olderthandirt
09-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Here's a dead one ... beautiful snake thou

Yes dead is beautiful :clapping:

rodfather
09-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Are cottonmouths that aggressive as some people have mentioned before?

grass_cuttin_fool
09-08-2006, 06:55 PM
We have the copper head mocason here and it doesnt take much to get them angry, seems they would rather fight anything of any size then to run from it

wayne

ProStreetCamaro
09-08-2006, 07:12 PM
I hate snakes to but as long as I dont get to close to them I am ok with them. One time while trimming along a house I happened to look up and along the wall was a copper head coiled up and hissing at me. It was ready to strike and no way could I get away fast enough so I just froze dead still. My dad happened to see me standing still frozen and he walked up about 10 feet behind me and I said snake. He backed up and got a huge rock and came around behind the copper head and smashed it. Thats the closest i have come to getting bit by a snake.

ed2150
09-08-2006, 07:37 PM
That definately a rattlesnake of some kind, the rattles are clearly visible on it's tail.

Cottonmouths don't have rattles......but they do vibrate their tails at high speed and in dry material like leaves or against something hard they make a VERY noticeable buzzing or rattling sound.

Rodfather, cottonmouths are notorious for being agressive, they might run away but they're just as likely to stand their ground or even approach something they see as a threat, and their venom is pretty potent. Give 'em plenty of room. (I see you're in NJ, at least you don't have to deal with them. None here in my part of Tennesse either, but I've seen plenty when I've spent time in SC and FL.)

MountainMow
09-09-2006, 11:28 PM
it looks like a pygmy to me

Mickhippy
09-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Dont get bitten, its the devil!

tacoma200
09-09-2006, 11:49 PM
I grab them by the back of the head then look them in the eye. If the pupil is round its not poisonous, if the pupil is slit up and down its poisonous. Good eating those rattle snakes.

tacoma200
09-09-2006, 11:57 PM
That definately a rattlesnake of some kind, the rattles are clearly visible on it's tail.

Cottonmouths don't have rattles......but they do vibrate their tails at high speed and in dry material like leaves or against something hard they make a VERY noticeable buzzing or rattling sound.

Rodfather, cottonmouths are notorious for being agressive, they might run away but they're just as likely to stand their ground or even approach something they see as a threat, and their venom is pretty potent. Give 'em plenty of room. (I see you're in NJ, at least you don't have to deal with them. None here in my part of Tennesse either, but I've seen plenty when I've spent time in SC and FL.)
Go to Reelfoot Lake on the Kentucky/Tennesee border. Plenty of them (cotton mouths)in that part of Tennesee. You see them on cypress trees and other bushes near the water. I have never seen an agressive one but I didn't bother them.

METRO 36
09-10-2006, 12:16 AM
usally a copper head wont bother you if you see it long before your in its range. but if you get close and it feels threatened or cornered you better be looking for bigger countrty.

if had them chase a couple of yards on lots of occasions and jump at my boat

Dunn's
09-10-2006, 12:39 AM
This brings up something I have mentioned a few times on this site. You guys need to lose some weight. you know there aren't many snakes on the planet that can keep up with a human,well atleast not an in shape human.

DuraCutter
09-10-2006, 12:58 AM
This brings up something I have mentioned a few times on this site. You guys need to lose some weight. you know there aren't many snakes on the planet that can keep up with a human,well atleast not an in shape human.

Yeah, but have you seen Snakes on a plane... :laugh:

They sure move awful fast :laugh:

burns60
09-10-2006, 01:00 AM
Only three kinds of snakes....(and I hate all three.) Dead snake, live snake and stick that looks like a snake.

indy2tall
09-10-2006, 10:58 AM

We almost never come across snakes of any size mowing around here so this may be a stoooopid question but why don't you just run over it? It would seem that sharpened steel rotating at 19,000 fps would take care of any snake.

ChadsLawn
09-10-2006, 11:21 AM
A good running trimmer at full throttle will put a serious hurtin on a snake.. Ive hit plenty of them. every chance I get I'll hit em.

topsites
09-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Only three kinds of snakes....(and I hate all three.) Dead snake, live snake and stick that looks like a snake.

Oh man you forgot the imitation rubber snake lol, I hate those the worst, more so because of the thoughts that cross my mind once I realize it's just a rubber snake.

But as for real ones, I watch them closely, and whichever way they finally decide to end up going, I always go the opposite way.

lugnut#6
09-10-2006, 12:37 PM
tons of cotton mouths down here.as a teenager i used to catch em.

the stupid things i used to do:hammerhead:

Ive caught and handled just about every type of snake we have here both poisonous and non poisonous.

only been bitten once and that was by a black racer.

water moccasins here are usually very dark in color almost black or very dark brown.

the diamond pattern on that snake is very visible so i would think its some sort of rattler

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
09-10-2006, 11:21 PM
We have the copper head mocason here and it doesnt take much to get them angry, seems they would rather fight anything of any size then to run from it

wayne

QUESTION, WHAT IS A "COPPER HEAD MOCASON"? DO YOU MEAN A COPPER HEAD SNAKE OR A WATER MOCASON? JUST CURIOUS. OH IF YOU ARE UNSURE, CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL DNR OFFICE AND THEY SHOULD HAVE A FREE HAND OUT WITH DESCRIPTIONS OF ALL THE POISONOUS/NON-POISONOUS SNAKES IN YOUR STATE.

Jusmowin
09-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Yea,Grass cuttin fool I know what ya mean about those water mocs. I have a few water front (lynhaven inlet coves)properties and have run accross and over :rolleyes: a few snakes last week. That big rain we had the week before must of pushed them up in the yards. I just dont like snakes at all!

eshreve1234
09-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Just to split hairs most snakes are venomous, not poisonous...

In medicine (particularly veterinary) and in zoology, a poison is often distinguished from a venom. Venoms are usually defined as biologic toxins that are injected to cause their effect, while poisons are generally defined as substances which are absorbed through epithelial linings such as the skin or gut.

Rhett
09-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Seems like we are covered up with pigmys this year. Last week one was actually trying to bight the front tire on the exmark. Not only does the viking leave a nice cut on turf but mulches snakes well.

nmurph
09-11-2006, 03:15 PM
pygmies aren't much of a threat to a human. they can't bite through demin pants but they do have a really nasty attitude. cottonmouth's nastiness is overrated. i know you will have people that will say that they have been chased by cottonmouths for miles. yes, they will strike if cornered, like most snakes, even the non-venomous, but most individuals of the species are relatively docile. they are like people, there are some that are just born with a nasty disposition. it's a good thing that pigmy rattlers aren't the size of a cottonmouth. they act like they just want to pimp-slap everyone.
as for the person that said they can tell if a snake is venomous by looking at the shape of the eye, while this works for most snakes, the coral snake has a round pupil and a slender head, unlike most venomous snakes which typically have a head that is wider where it attaches to the neck, like the shape of a spade.

Frontier-Lawn
09-11-2006, 04:22 PM
they act like they just want to pimp-slap everyone

so do the black racers

kmann
09-11-2006, 06:23 PM
pigmy rattle snake
That looks too big to be a Pigmy. But it does'nt look like a Cottonmouth. The Pigmys I seen have been pretty small. Had a lady come running out of her house screaming "snake" I asked what it looked like and she said "if I did'nt know better I'd think it was a baby Rattlesnake". I dispatched it with a Rake.

SamTheLawnMan
09-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Ya'll are all wrong....That is a "Rattlemouth-cottonmocacine-waterviper"....:laugh:

South Florida Lawns
09-12-2006, 04:19 PM
That ain't no Pygmy, way too big. Cotton mouth is more like it.

Its Florida, c'mon what do you expect, everything stings, bites and is poisonous.

Envy Lawn Service
09-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Yep...

It's a rattlesnake... it has rattles...

Yep...

It's a pygmy... a Dusky Pygmy Rattlesnake to be exact.

It's the only one to carry those markings.
They are small... but not that small.
Most mature ones are 1-2 ft... and max at about 2.5 ft (most under 2 ft)

The 'watersnakes' have no rattles. They will sometimes flick their tails... and Copperheads do the same. The key word is sometimes.

kmann
09-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Yep...

It's a rattlesnake... it has rattles...

Yep...

It's a pygmy... a Dusky Pygmy Rattlesnake to be exact.

It's the only one to carry those markings.
They are small... but not that small.
Most mature ones are 1-2 ft... and max at about 2.5 ft (most under 2 ft)

The 'watersnakes' have no rattles. They will sometimes flick their tails... and Copperheads do the same. The key word is sometimes.
I smell a rat. The picture he posted is the EXACT SAME PICTURE as in the U of F snake book. The picture was downloaded from there. And yes it is a Dusky Pigmy.

Envy Lawn Service
09-12-2006, 10:33 PM
I smell a rat. The picture he posted is the EXACT SAME PICTURE as in the U of F snake book. The picture was downloaded from there. And yes it is a Dusky Pigmy.

Well maybe he keeps seeing this one snake and doesn't have a camera with him, and maybe he knew what kind of snake it was, and being from Florida, went on there to get a picture to use.

corey4671
09-12-2006, 10:52 PM
I grab them by the back of the head then look them in the eye. If the pupil is round its not poisonous, if the pupil is slit up and down its poisonous. Good eating those rattle snakes.

if the pupil is slit up and dwon you are D E A D..:)

corey4671
09-12-2006, 10:55 PM
I could care less what kind of snake it is! If I am on the mower, it's a DEAD snake!

kmann
09-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Well maybe he keeps seeing this one snake and doesn't have a camera with him, and maybe he knew what kind of snake it was, and being from Florida, went on there to get a picture to use.
Yea , you may be right. He did say it was a Pigmy, but not which kind. The place he got the picture from says Dusky Pigmy, which is different from the other Pigmy which is really small.