PDA

View Full Version : Duct tape for mulch plug?

kylawnguy
09-08-2006, 02:13 PM
I need to mulch but don't want to buy a mulching kit since I already have gator blades. I was on the duct tape site and a guy suggested using duct tape as his plug. I am gonna try it. Has anyone else?

martinfan06
09-08-2006, 02:29 PM
I need to mulch but don't want to buy a mulching kit since I already have gator blades. I was on the duct tape site and a guy suggested using duct tape as his plug. I am gonna try it. Has anyone else?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: now thats funny

thesargent
09-08-2006, 03:26 PM
are you serious? sometimes i just cant tell if someone is pulling my leg or not. hey man give it a try. if it works, great, if not oh well, its not like your out a ton of money.

jkingrph
09-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Don't think it would last very long!!

kylawnguy
09-08-2006, 03:28 PM
are you serious? sometimes i just cant tell if someone is pulling my leg or not. hey man give it a try. if it works, great, if not oh well, its not like your out a ton of money.

Yes I am serious!

I am from Kentucky afterall!:usflag:

kylawnguy
09-08-2006, 03:31 PM
"I use Duck(r) Tape when I mulch leaves and or grass. Place Duck(r) Tape over the discharge nozzle of the mower and mow or run over the leaves. Fooling with nuts, belts, and wrenches is a thing of the past. Naturally, when you do not want to mulch, you merely remove the Duck(r) Tape."
Robert H. Nashville, TN

thesargent
09-08-2006, 03:38 PM
fair enough.

TJLC
09-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Hey, like they say "you can fix anything with duck tape!

lawnwizards
09-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Yes I am serious!

I am from Kentucky afterall!:usflag:
what part of kentucky you from?

tank
09-08-2006, 06:54 PM
Somebody must watch the red green show to much!

Idealtim
09-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Just make a heavy wood plate with screws and clamp it on with 2 mini c clamps. Cut a 2x4 in to 3 12'' long pieces and two 6'' pieces and screw them together, so one side is completely flat. I made one and it works just as good as anything else. The best part is it only costs around 5 bucks.

kmann
09-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Just make a heavy wood plate with screws and clamp it on with 2 mini c clamps. Cut a 2x4 in to 3 12'' long pieces and two 6'' pieces and screw them together, so one side is completely flat. I made one and it works just as good as anything else. The best part is it only costs around 5 bucks.
Could'nt you just get a thin piece of sheet metal and clamp it on, or bolt it thru the side of the deck.

kc2006
09-08-2006, 08:56 PM
You cant just put a plate to block the discharge, it's going to clump. Thats why the actual mulch kits have baffles to enclose every blade to make 3 seperate chambers so it recycles the grass and mulches it. I made a blocker plate for my bobcat last year (bobcat actually sells one for about 40 bucks) and it didnt work that great, if the grass was dry and didnt hardly grow it was ok but other then that it wouldnt work.

A mulch kit is like 160 bucks or 180 bucks for my lazer, if you can't afford that...somethings wrong.

parkeeee
09-08-2006, 09:03 PM
I used to use a piece of hardware cloth bolted to the discharge, worked great for mulching leaves.

lawnwizards
09-08-2006, 10:35 PM
You cant just put a plate to block the discharge, it's going to clump. Thats why the actual mulch kits have baffles to enclose every blade to make 3 seperate chambers so it recycles the grass and mulches it. I made a blocker plate for my bobcat last year (bobcat actually sells one for about 40 bucks) and it didnt work that great, if the grass was dry and didnt hardly grow it was ok but other then that it wouldnt work.

A mulch kit is like 160 bucks or 180 bucks for my lazer, if you can't afford that...somethings wrong.
thats the problem. its 3 little pieces of metal for 180 bucks. in my case it was gonna cost me 300. can't bring myself to pay that much for three little pieces of metal. its a farce if you ask me.

kc2006
09-10-2006, 03:26 AM
I know that alot of times its hard to justify paying the stupid high prices companies are getting. But it's the right way to go, it's going to do the job far better then duct tape for sure or most other rigged ways.

I know what you mean though, if i can make something rather then buy it, I will. In this case, I'll buy it.

indy2tall
09-10-2006, 10:44 AM

You might try this since it works for me. I strap one of my girlfriends bra to the opening and that blocks most of the grass and seems to work OK. If I need to bag I get a bra from her sister who is a "DD". :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Also this duct tape site sounds interesting. Is that something like www.ducttape.com? Do they have forums where you can discuss duct tape colors and uses? :laugh: :laugh:

I had to laugh when I previewed this post since I clicked on the link and there actually is a duct tape website! :laugh: There must be a website for everything.

Oldtimer
09-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Use chrome duct tape to show more class.

Oldtimer

MDLawnman
09-10-2006, 09:58 PM
This thread reminds me of a Jeff Foxworthy bit!

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
09-10-2006, 10:47 PM
yeah, i wanted to make my mower look like i had dubs on it, so i took some of that duct tape that you use on air conditioning ducts and taped up my wheels. i am thinking about taking some of my grandma's ole pie pans and cutting them in funky designs and making spinners out of them. i should have the dopest looking mower in the town. It is just so hard keeping those tires juiced in between jobs.

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

TriCountyLawn
09-10-2006, 11:30 PM
If you cant duct it **** it!

Raven386
09-10-2006, 11:56 PM
yeah, i wanted to make my mower look like i had dubs on it, so i took some of that duct tape that you use on air conditioning ducts and taped up my wheels. i am thinking about taking some of my grandma's ole pie pans and cutting them in funky designs and making spinners out of them. i should have the dopest looking mower in the town. It is just so hard keeping those tires juiced in between jobs.

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

could you send me your spinner design please? ive been trying to fabricate some but its not going well...the alum. foil keeps tearing! and the Tire shine keeps wearing off after the first lawn!