PDA

View Full Version : Double Blades question

K c m
09-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Hello guys. I normally don't run doubles on my walks because i prefer the double cut (when its a little high). Would I be able to put 2 blades on the shoot side while leaving one blade on the other 2 spindles? (48") Would that be harder on the mower then running all doubles? Or would it offset the balence and weight distribution?

Pretty much just asking would this do me any justice hence not wearing out the motor running all doubles?

Rob.

Grn Mtn
09-08-2006, 02:43 PM
no expert here but I think you would want to keep it the same on all spindles. This year I went with standard high lift on bottom and mulching gators on top with my 48" Toro WB -it has the 14HP Kawi (I think its 14). Talk about pulverizing the blades of grass into nothing. Its a lot louder now with the double blades but the engine doesn't seem to mind and its 5 years old.

Eddie B
09-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Wouldn't the spindle with the doubles cut slightly lower than the other 2 spindles with the singles?

John Gamba
09-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Wouldn't the spindle with the doubles cut slightly lower than the other 2 spindles with the singles?

You put a washer on the other two spindles to keep everything level.

Eddie B
09-08-2006, 03:50 PM
You put a washer on the other two spindles to keep everything level.

didn't think of that

John Gamba
09-08-2006, 04:06 PM
didn't think of that

I kept it short i had a phone call-----Get two washers the thickness of the blades, then take the washers and put them on top of the two blades then tighten the bolts.

I'm not saying to do this but its what i have done.

stumper1620
09-08-2006, 04:17 PM
I'll stick to doubles on all spindles. I don't think I would like the results of just one spindle doubled.

noseha
09-08-2006, 04:18 PM
It Will Take More To Turn The Spindle And Will Be Slower Than The Other Two Blades / Spindle You Would Cut More Grass With The 2 X Blade Your Belt Is Where You Would See The Wear . I Don't Think You Would Hurt The Spindle You Would Have To Use A Washer On Top Of Your Blade. Why Do You Want To Do That?

stumper1620
09-08-2006, 04:23 PM
It Will Take More To Turn The Spindle And Will Be Slower Than The Other Two Blades / Spindle You Would Cut More Grass With The 2 X Blade Your Belt Is Where You Would See The Wear . I Don't Think You Would Hurt The Spindle You Would Have To Use A Washer On Top Of Your Blade. Why Do You Want To Do That?
That was my thoughts also.

John Gamba
09-08-2006, 04:44 PM

people have been doing it to bag for years. Thats side bagging.

noseha
09-09-2006, 06:19 AM
I Don't Seen The Advantage Of Running One Side Stacked! Why Not Run All The Blades Stacked? Are You Trying To Cut Down The Size Of Your Clippings?

John Gamba
09-09-2006, 06:35 AM
I Don't Seen The Advantage Of Running One Side Stacked! Why Not Run All The Blades Stacked? Are You Trying To Cut Down The Size Of Your Clippings?

It takes less power and you will have more air flow going into the bagger and smaller clippings.

jkingrph
09-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Don't see how a spindle with doubles would run slower than spindle with single blade, unless belt is slipping they would all turn at same speed.

dcondon
09-09-2006, 11:26 AM
Don't see how a spindle with doubles would run slower than spindle with single blade, unless belt is slipping they would all turn at same speed.

Because some motors will run slower RPM's. We run doubles year around and like the results. :cool2:

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-09-2006, 11:30 AM
I have been running singles on the left and middle and doubles on the right this whole season. Doesn't suck down the RPMs like all doubles does, but still shreds the clippings and creates further discharge..... no problems.....

I am getting ready to put on the Meg-mos for leaf season.....

D

K c m
09-09-2006, 12:33 PM
hay guys thanks for the comments. last yr i had 2 sets of blades i ran until i hit a proped up sewer head and broke 1. I ran for leaf season double single double and it was good. Didn't hinder the bts. I was just wondering if the stacked shoot would be easier on the mower then running doubles.

for that washer comment. Uh... i had a woman come out to me yesterday (in her night gown and asked about my other job (electrician) and i said it was going well. So she said lets test your knowledge and asked me to screw in a light bulb :laugh: i said "are you joking." that comment is on the same lever. :laugh:

jkingrph
09-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Because some motors will run slower RPM's. We run doubles year around and like the results. :cool2:

Should have quoted Noseha's post. I understood one spindle with two blades and two spindles with one blade each. I can understand extra load slowing everything down, but not just the one spindle. They all would turn at same speed.

noseha
09-09-2006, 02:41 PM
What Side Is The Belt Driving First!

jkingrph
09-09-2006, 08:38 PM
What Side Is The Belt Driving First!
Does not matter. They will all run same speed unless belt is slippin on one!!

noseha
09-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Your Belt Drives X,v,so You Have A Belt Off Your V Spindle And drives Y Is Your double Blade X,v, Are Spining At 3400 Rpm With Y Dragging You Down To 3100 Rpm What Is The Weight Of Your Blades On X,v, And The Weight Of Y :dizzy: . Why Is The double blade On One Spindle Reducing Your Cut. Why Not Run All 3-2x Blades Your Deck Should Be Throwing Your Discharge To The Front Of The Deck And Out Not Going Throw Your Last Blade !

Precision
09-09-2006, 11:32 PM
If you are worried about excess drag from running doubles, then run your normal blade on the bottom and run sand blades on top (flat blades).

You still get the extra chopping and a fair amount of extra throw, but very little extra lift drag to bog the motor.

Dunn's
09-10-2006, 12:27 AM
sorry guys don't mean to be an idiot. But I have never heard of anyone using 2 blades. So this is new to me. How do you go about doing this. Wouldn't they slip or something.

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-10-2006, 06:45 AM
If you are worried about excess drag from running doubles, then run your normal blade on the bottom and run sand blades on top (flat blades).

You still get the extra chopping and a fair amount of extra throw, but very little extra lift drag to bog the motor.

I started this season like this and really was not impressed. I don't remember exactly what my issue with it was........

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-10-2006, 06:48 AM
To maintain the current cutting height, remove 1 washer from each spindle, put 2 blades on in the + position.....and tighten, they will only move (look like this---> X ) if you hit something.......

D

K c m
09-10-2006, 10:04 AM
sorry guys don't mean to be an idiot. But I have never heard of anyone using 2 blades. So this is new to me. How do you go about doing this. Wouldn't they slip or something.

yep make them an x on the spindels and hand tight is good enough. chops up clippings very well.

Elite Lawn Care
09-11-2006, 03:05 PM
WOW! I did the doubles this week, I am surprised that I have not thought of it before. The discharge was wonderful, the clippings that came out where hardly a quarter of and inch and it sprayed out! the lift that was created under the deck made the grass even though extreemly wet stand up and cut. Usually I need to double cut and reverse the pattern to get some grass to stand up when this wet. yeah the baldes where louder and they seemed to slow down a bit more in thicker grass, but it was worth it.
I ran a Gater high lift on the bottom blade and a Gator mulcher on the top. there was no clumping at all in 6 inch tall Kent. Blue cutting it down to 3 inch in a heavy rain.
I was running this on a 17 Kawi equiped 48 inch WB.