PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of selling identity?!

drsogr
09-08-2006, 03:18 PM
I have decided to shut the doors to my business. I plan on doing a few smaller jobs this fall and then officially shutting down business. I have many reasons for doing this. Including being offered a job comparable to what I was doing when I went full-time and the desire to go back to college.

Anyway, I really have nothing to sell as far as the business is concerned. I did strictly landscaping. I didn't re-enroll in the phone books, and I have no steady customers as I did strictly landscaping. I plan on keeping almost all of the tools I bought as they were all paid for with cash. But I do think I have something that is worth selling. My business identity. I spent a large amount of money and time working on a business image. Including working folders, estimate sheets, logo, web page, marketing tools, business cards, yard signs...so on and so forth. Has anyone tried selling just their business identity?

My website is www.sodmyyard.com or www.timbercreeklandscape.com. If anyone is curious. It has my logo on there. Everything I designed was done for a professional look. And everything could easily be converted to someone else. I feel alot of the things that I have done would give someone a great start on running a business.

drsogr
09-08-2006, 03:25 PM
Here is my business card.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=128105&highlight=logo

Link to Logo Design

http://www.designoutpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6898

Postcard Design

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=128893&highlight=postcard

I also have numerous other things that would be valuable to a company such as quickbooks, and a filing systems, different forms of advertising I have used, customer folders, massive plant catalogs that I have put together, estimating binder, yard signs.

Az Gardener
09-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Just thinking out loud, would'nt it be possible to hire someone to do the work and continue to sell jobs and inspect as a side business while going to school.

You probably won't get much for the name. It's a shame to have all the groundwork go to waste.

drsogr
09-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Just thinking out loud, would'nt it be possible to hire someone to do the work and continue to sell jobs and inspect as a side business while going to school.

You probably won't get much for the name. It's a shame to have all the groundwork go to waste.

I have thought about that....but that is one of the reasons I am going out of business. I had one hell of a time finding good employees that could put out the work that I would be proud selling. Let enough someone that could work alone. Great employees are hard to find...

Az Gardener
09-09-2006, 02:38 PM
You are right good employees are hard to find. But if it were easy everyone would do it.

This time around you wouldn't be looking for an employee. I would advertise for a partner. Someone you could mentor that has the field skills but is intimidated by the thought of going into business for themselves. Try different things, advertising in the paper is a lazy mans game. Like throwing money at a problem and hoping it goes away. Try a resume search and use key words you may find someone who was in the business but didn't have the office skills or know how to bid. with your leadership they may be a perfect fit.

The last thing is don't be greedy. I wouldn't look at this as a primary income source 10 % of something is better than 100% of nothing. Give the new partner an opportunity to make a good living and you may be surprised what turns up. The bottom line is you need to put on that salesman hat and sell someone on your business.

Your target would be a young guy that is married. He is working in the industry already and is not going to get that next raise because he will be too expensive. He is probably ready to go out on his own but his wife is concerned about that weekly paycheck. Your offer will be the safety net he needs to make the leap.

Finally Karma is a funny thing. If you set out to help someone else good things happen. If you only objective is to make a buck and move on well what does that do for you cosmic bank account? Kill two birds with one stone help someone else out keep you business alive and keep a hand in the game. Just get the agreement down on paper.

Good luck!

rodfather
09-09-2006, 05:27 PM
You are right good employees are hard to find. But if it were easy everyone would do it.

This time around you wouldn't be looking for an employee. I would advertise for a partner. Someone you could mentor that has the field skills but is intimidated by the thought of going into business for themselves. Try different things, advertising in the paper is a lazy mans game. Like throwing money at a problem and hoping it goes away. Try a resume search and use key words you may find someone who was in the business but didn't have the office skills or know how to bid. with your leadership they may be a perfect fit.

The last thing is don't be greedy. I wouldn't look at this as a primary income source 10 % of something is better than 100% of nothing. Give the new partner an opportunity to make a good living and you may be surprised what turns up. The bottom line is you need to put on that salesman hat and sell someone on your business.

Your target would be a young guy that is married. He is working in the industry already and is not going to get that next raise because he will be too expensive. He is probably ready to go out on his own but his wife is concerned about that weekly paycheck. Your offer will be the safety net he needs to make the leap.

Finally Karma is a funny thing. If you set out to help someone else good things happen. If you only objective is to make a buck and move on well what does that do for you cosmic bank account? Kill two birds with one stone help someone else out keep you business alive and keep a hand in the game. Just get the agreement down on paper.

Good luck!

Great advice Dave about finding someone young and married...and the particulars down on paper too btw.