PDA

View Full Version : Flex Forks Getting Weak

puppypaws
09-08-2006, 03:10 PM
http://www.drivetrain.com/velvetride.html
Here is a site you can look at to see how the concept of the Flex Forks work. My Flex Forks have gotten weaker and I am starting to see the crop circles and differences in cutting heights you boy's have been talking about. I call a friend of mine that loved the Flex Forks and cuts for a living and he said his had gotten so much weaker that he was going to put the original forks back on to keep from screwing up peoples grass. He said man I hate that because those things made the mower ride so much better and I said the concept is wonderful and it can be made to work because you saw how good they worked when they were new. I talked with Lonnie today and he was concerned enough that he wants my dealer to replace mine with new ones and sent the old ones back to Hustler for extensive testing, you boy's need to pay close attention to any changes you see with the Flex Forks and make it known to your dealer because customer feedback is the only way a company has to made aware of a problem and this is a wonderful accessory that can be made to work.

TheKingNJ
09-08-2006, 03:34 PM
What the heck are flex forks?

Eddie B
09-08-2006, 03:48 PM
the link is for hopper stoppers

Idealtim
09-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Flex forks are an option for hustler mowers. The frount casters are spring loaded and they offer a suspention-like ride for the frount end.

Ron's Lawncare
09-08-2006, 06:38 PM
let's see if Hustler will step up to the plate and fix the problem or deny there is a problem.

lawnmaniac883
09-08-2006, 07:42 PM
the link is for hopper stoppers

The link shows how the flex forks work. They use the same principal as hopper stoppers, rubber torsion springs.

kc2006
09-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Oh I'm sure hustler will get on this, they're normally very fast about problems. (I dont own a hustler and i'm saying this)

It just shows that these companies aren't putting far enough R&D into these new concepts, they want to hurry and get the newest thing out without fully testing.

tacoma200
09-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Oh I'm sure hustler will get on this, they're normally very fast about problems. (I dont own a hustler and i'm saying this)

It just shows that these companies aren't putting far enough R&D into these new concepts, they want to hurry and get the newest thing out without fully testing.
I have the Exmark Triton DVD to prove they did all their research. Ha

gene gls
09-08-2006, 09:44 PM
http://www.drivetrain.com/velvetride.html
Here is a site you can look at to see how the concept of the Flex Forks work. My Flex Forks have gotten weaker and I am starting to see the crop circles and differences in cutting heights you boy's have been talking about. I call a friend of mine that loved the Flex Forks and cuts for a living and he said his had gotten so much weaker that he was going to put the original forks back on to keep from screwing up peoples grass. He said man I hate that because those things made the mower ride so much better and I said the concept is wonderful and it can be made to work because you saw how good they worked when they were new. I talked with Lonnie today and he was concerned enough that he wants my dealer to replace mine with new ones and sent the old ones back to Hustler for extensive testing, you boy's need to pay close attention to any changes you see with the Flex Forks and make it known to your dealer because customer feedback is the only way a company has to made aware of a problem and this is a wonderful accessory that can be made to work.
So, how many hours do you have on your Flex Forks?

tacoma200
09-08-2006, 09:52 PM
I don't think there is enough evidence to suggest this is a major problem yet. Shouldn't they fall under the warranty if they fail even though they are an option?

puppypaws
09-08-2006, 10:07 PM
I don't think there is enough evidence to suggest this is a major problem yet. Shouldn't they fall under the warranty if they fail even though they are an option?I have 137 hrs. on the Flex Forks to answer the first question and yes they would be covered under warranty but I had been wondering why people were complaining about them with some people already taking them off and selling them. I can tell without doubt they have gotten weaker because you even notice more up and down movement than when they were new. I am telling Hustler what I am seeing so they can check them out and see if improvement can be made, what I cut is my own property so it does not bother me that much but people that cut commercially will like the ride but not the cut quality on better maintained smaller properties.

tacoma200
09-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Yea, no sweat Puppypaws, I don't blame you for saying somthing. You know me, I tell the good and bad on both of my mowers for the same reason. To let other's know. Like I wished someone had said something about the cut on Northern grasses with the XR7 before I went shopping. I think Shady Brook, TLS, myself and a few others brought it to Huslters attention and they seem to always want to improve the product. I just wonder what percentage of flex forks sold would this be a problem. Say if it's less than 5% or less I don't see it as a big deal but if lots of complaints come in then that would require more imediate attention. I've never put mine back on since I was testing the cut. Rides pretty good without them (compared to Exmark, Scag).

puppypaws
09-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Yea, no sweat Puppypaws, I don't blame you for saying somthing. You know me, I tell the good and bad on both of my mowers for the same reason. To let other's know. Like I wished someone had said something about the cut on Northern grasses with the XR7 before I went shopping. I think Shady Brook, TLS, myself and a few others brought it to Huslters attention and they seem to always want to improve the product. I just wonder what percentage of flex forks sold would this be a problem. Say if it's less than 5% or less I don't see it as a big deal but if lots of complaints come in then that would require more imediate attention. I've never put mine back on since I was testing the cut. Rides pretty good without them (compared to Exmark, Scag).How many hours do you have on your mower now? I got a disc in my 57 year old back that needs all the help it can get when it comes to a better ride because if it bulges and gets on the sciatic nerve I am about finished and bouncing on as much equipment as I have for 40+ years I need all the help I can get. If everybody keeps quiet about the problems they see with equipment the manufacture will never no what needs to be changed and the next thing that happens is no one is buying their product any longer and they have no idea why they went bankrupt. I like your attitude of pointing out problems so they can be resolved, some people never say anything and then wonder why nothing ever changes to make a product better.

brucec32
09-09-2006, 11:02 PM
I'd suggest spending your money on a better suspension type seat instead. You move up and down on that instead of the deck bouncing up and down on the turf.

tacoma200
09-10-2006, 12:37 AM
I'd suggest spending your money on a better suspension type seat instead. You move up and down on that instead of the deck bouncing up and down on the turf.
Actually the Super Z's come with the top of the line suspension seat (Michigan). I don't have a bad back so it's not that big of an issue for me but I don't blame Puppypaws for bringing it up. Amazing, for months I studied these post and not one negative post about Hustler till I buy one. What's next?

John Gamba
09-10-2006, 06:28 AM
Dixie chopper had this problem years ago with the flex forks. they seem to have something allot better now. go to there web site under accessory's.

kc2006
09-10-2006, 12:06 PM
I have the Exmark Triton DVD to prove they did all their research. Ha

lol thats good stuff right there!

I should of listened to my father, he always used to preach how he bought one brand new car in his life and it was garbage, always had problems with it and he ended up trading it in 9 months after he bought it for a 3 year old car. I have to learn it's not always the best to be the first with a new product.

tacoma200
09-10-2006, 01:55 PM
lol thats good stuff right there!

I should of listened to my father, he always used to preach how he bought one brand new car in his life and it was garbage, always had problems with it and he ended up trading it in 9 months after he bought it for a 3 year old car. I have to learn it's not always the best to be the first with a new product.
I know what your saying, and after all the rave reviews of the XR7 deck I bought one the first year (something I previously said was a bad idea) so I went against my own advice and have had to work hard to correct the mistake. If it had been any other company than Hustler I would have probably had to live with my mistake but they have really surprised me by taking our complaints seriously and working with us to find a solution. My hats off to them. It still doesn't cut as crisp as the Lazer but given the chance I'll always hop on the Huster. Such a smooth, comfortable, machine. Mowing at my average speeds the 27 hp has been plenty in most circumstances. Rarely ever bogs down. Now if I pushed the sticks fully forward in heavy grass it would, but at 6-7 mph is about as fast as I cut on the thick stuff here. I was just teasing you KC2006, did you watch the video before you first got the Triton? I hope the Ultra cut is working out well for you. There was a big difference in the way you were treated with the cut problem and the way Hustler handled it. Funny that the videos show cutting mostly low or previously cut grass. I would like the film crews to follow me on some of my accounts. I have looked at the Triton deck and have yet to figure out where the problem is exept maybe to narrow of a discharge?

kc2006
09-10-2006, 03:29 PM
No I didnt watch the video first. My dealer didnt have any real literature on it. I just read about it online and went from there, I thought "It's a new deck, it's gotta be better then the last" because no one makes reverse progress.

The ultracut is great, as I knew it would be, no problems with it. I'm still not sure where I'm going next year, I'll be picking up a 72" probably with a diesel and not sure if it will be yellow or red. I'm going to have to have a triton for ATLEAST a week to see if I even want to buy it, I won't even consider it unless I can use it for a whole week. So we'll see.