PDA

View Full Version : cub cadet tank

gandk06
09-08-2006, 03:32 PM
I'm new here. Just found this site and love it. You guys have great info to share. Just started a small cutting business this summer. I am a teacher and was looking to add some income. I purchased a new cub cadet 50" tank at the beginning of the summer and have now put about 120 hours on with 2 more months of cutting ahead of me. The machine worked great this summer and I am still very happy with it. I know this is not the machine the hard core cutting company would purchase but for what I could afford starting out it works well. Just wondering if others out there have this machine and how many hours they have put on it. I know I will never get the 3000+ that the top of the line machines will get but wondered what I could expect out of this mower?

Thanks!

tacoma200
09-08-2006, 03:42 PM
You never know. Routine maintenance and taking good care and any piece of equipment can last a long time. Alright ProStreet Camaro here's your chance. He (ProStreetCamaro) runs Cubs and can tell you alot. I think Envy also could chime in here. What is the model and engine?

ProStreetCamaro
09-08-2006, 04:05 PM
You got the 50"? If so it has a stamped deck correct? Well you got the bottom of the line machine to be honest. Weaker deck, weaker hydros and various other things. You would have been better off with the M48 or M54. All I can say is maintain it properly and dont beat it up and it should last you many years since you are the sole operator of the machine.

Here we go.

Your M50 is 810 pounds. My M48 is 1040 pounds.
M50 top speed is 8.5 and my M48 is 12
M50 has Integrated dual Hydro-Gear™ ZT 2800 w/oil reservoir and my M48 has Hydro-Gear™ BDP-12A pumps & Parker® wheel motors
M50 has stamped deck and my M48 has Fabricated steel deck and your deck is only 13ga which is pretty thin. DONT HIT ANYTHING HARD WITH IT!!!!!!!!
M50 has small tires compared to the M48

gandk06
09-08-2006, 09:12 PM
The model is the khs50 tank with a 23hp kohler.

thanks for the input.

ProStreetCamaro
09-08-2006, 09:30 PM
The model is the khs50 tank with a 23hp kohler.

thanks for the input.

Your welcome and trust me if you take care of it even thought it isnt as heavy duty it will still last you a long time.

OMG
09-08-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm new here. Just found this site and love it. You guys have great info to share. Just started a small cutting business this summer. I am a teacher and was looking to add some income. I purchased a new cub cadet 50" tank at the beginning of the summer and have now put about 120 hours on with 2 more months of cutting ahead of me. The machine worked great this summer and I am still very happy with it. I know this is not the machine the hard core cutting company would purchase but for what I could afford starting out it works well. Just wondering if others out there have this machine and how many hours they have put on it. I know I will never get the 3000+ that the top of the line machines will get but wondered what I could expect out of this mower?

Thanks!

We run nothing but Cub M60's.....

They call them tanks and they are.......

Your engine will go long before the rest will.

FWIW, the engines on a Cub are the exact same engines on alot of other mowers.

Happy mowing.

P.S. You need to get a fabricated deck, instead of the deck that Cub stamps out for themselves and others.

JMO

gandk06
09-08-2006, 09:56 PM
where i do go to get a fabricated deck and what does that run? That is why I asked the question. I didn't know if it would be best to run it one more year, sell it and go with a tank 54". I just didn't know what I could get for my mower.

Thanks

ProStreetCamaro
09-08-2006, 11:21 PM
where i do go to get a fabricated deck and what does that run? That is why I asked the question. I didn't know if it would be best to run it one more year, sell it and go with a tank 54". I just didn't know what I could get for my mower.

Thanks

Well you can get the deck at Lesco for $450 I think it is. I think it will bolt right up and use your existing spindles and stuff but I may be wrong. Envy would be the person to talk to about changing the deck. You might be better of not putting money in that machine and letting it make you money for another 2 years then sell and move on to a bigger better machine.

Envy Lawn Service
09-09-2006, 02:37 AM
Well you can get the deck at Lesco for $450 I think it is. I think it will bolt right up and use your existing spindles and stuff but I may be wrong. Envy would be the person to talk to about changing the deck. You might be better of not putting money in that machine and letting it make you money for another 2 years then sell and move on to a bigger better machine.

Well, I was not able to get the information to pull up.
Lesco's website is not near what it once was unfortunately.
Not as easy to navigate or search, and everything that's supposed to be in there is not.

My advice would be to call a Lesco and give them the task of figuring it out.

If it were me personally though, if you are happy with the cut, just keep it. If you tear it up bad later on, then evaluate rather or not you want to replace it with a fab deck.

My guess is you are happy with it. So keep it, take extra good care of it and either drive it into the ground or run it a while and set a goal to upgrade at some point.

jkingrph
09-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Not a pro at this, just a homeowner with about 2 acres. Used a Craftsman with 11 hp splash lubed B&S engine. I used it 11 years and engine was still going strong due to frequent in season oil changes. Spindles were another story. Bearings too small ect. I even installed grease fittings and they helped a lot, probably kept things cooler, still had to replace them every couple of years. Bottom line is no matter what you have, the better you care for it, the better it will serve you.

Jeff

tacoma200
09-09-2006, 07:10 PM

Thanks
As a home owner I doubt you will have any problems with the deck. I wouldn't sweat it unless you just want a commercial mower. I did run a Murry for 11 years from Walmart. That's back when I hated mowing. Now I like it. Something about riding around on a fine piece of machinery and getting paid for it.