PDA

View Full Version : Gator Blade Trouble

CELawn
09-08-2006, 09:06 PM
I put a set of Gator Mulch Blades on my Scag Tiger Cub today and they bog my engine down. It usually bogs a little when I engage the blades then recovers in a second or two, but with the Gator blades it takes 10-15 seconds to recover and it bogs down and will not recover when I try to actually cut grass. The blades seemed a little heavier than my Scag mulch blades when I was putting them on but I didn't think it would make this much difference. Any thoughts?

FinalCut05
09-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Because of the teeth on the back of the blade, they cause more air turbulence than regular high lifts. So they take more engine power to make them spin like high lifts because of this.

Tharrell
09-08-2006, 09:15 PM
I wish I could help but I don't have any expertise with your problem. However, you may get some good info in the mechanic forum.

CELawn
09-08-2006, 09:18 PM
The Scag mulch blades I have been using also have teeth and I haven't had any problem with them, even in thick grass. I was wondering if it was a weight issue?

tacoma200
09-08-2006, 09:54 PM
All the gators I ever used on the Lazer took less power than the notched high lifts. But I guess the Scag comes with medium lifts.

CELawn
09-08-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm a moron. Whenever I change blades I disconnect the spark plugs and I only reconnected one of the two. It just hit me so I walked down to my shop, reconnected the plug and the blades engaged just fine. I even cut a little grass in the dark just to be sure everything was OK. Sorry for the folks who took time to read and respond to this post.

PowerEquipmentWarehouse
09-08-2006, 10:23 PM
A great solution to the problem. Be glad that it was not something that would have driven you crazy for days!! I admit until I read the last post I was stumped.....Mike

ed2hess
09-08-2006, 10:26 PM
I tried some high lift blades on our Tiger that we was mulching with and they won't work at all. I was looking for something to pull up the grass better, but had to go back to the Scag mulch blades.

CELawn
09-08-2006, 10:41 PM
A great solution to the problem. Be glad that it was not something that would have driven you crazy for days!! I admit until I read the last post I was stumped.....Mike

Fortunately it only drove me crazy for a couple of hours and I didn't lose any sleep over it!

Elite Lawn Care
09-08-2006, 11:24 PM
I've been using the Gator's now for two seasons and I Love Them! I have been extreemly busy this year and not posted much here sorry guys. however I have been playing with my blades allot. (not with them running though) with my Gators I put an edge on the outer teeth on the leading edge of the blade, it was a noticable difference in how they worked! with heavy ken. blue they hardly slowed down and the noticable discharge was not as noticable. I put an edge on all the teeth on one set, that almost eliminated all discharge however it did not seem like it was worth the time. it only take a couple of seconds to do the one when you are sharpining (the initial takes a bit longer) I also have been using an enamal paint on the cutting edge and that has extended the edge life from 3 acres to about 5 when I change blades. I change them regularly before they get too dull, I like knife edges.

geogunn
09-09-2006, 12:10 AM
Because of the teeth on the back of the blade, they cause more air turbulence than regular high lifts. So they take more engine power to make them spin like high lifts because of this.

this is a ludicrous statement. no basis in fact or reality.

if engaging gators causes such a horrendous turbulence then it would seem to me engaging DOUBLES...A HIGH LIFT AND A GATOR...that the mower would snap belts, the engine throw a rod and spewing molten metal would kill the operator instantly from all the strain....:dizzy:

but as of yet...I have heard of not a single such incident.

GEO :dizzy: