PDA

View Full Version : picking up / vaccing Newengland grass

LawnMower
09-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Only guys mowing New england grass could know the answer to my question. The grass in my area is dense and thick.

I have a protero bagger for my BobCat. It works good as long as its dry and the grass isn't to high. Make the grass wet and it clogs. Make it a little higher then normal and it clogs. Im looking for a bagger that doesn't clog under those conditions. Iv talked to guys with Exmarks and a lot of them say there great in most conditions. Only one guy said the exmarks clog in wet turf.

What bagger have you guys had the most luck with cutting NewEngland grass? Even an opinion from the walker guys would be nice.

Any one With Pecos, or track vacs?

Hartnett Lawn Care
09-08-2006, 09:58 PM
Hey John,

I mow in SK and NK and Narr area....I use a steel grass catcher on my scag 48" walk behind...belt driven and have not had a problem with clogging...for what it's worth.

take care...Greg Hartnett

gene gls
09-08-2006, 11:09 PM
Only guys mowing New england grass could know the answer to my question. The grass in my area is dense and thick.

I have a protero bagger for my BobCat. It works good as long as its dry and the grass isn't to high. Make the grass wet and it clogs. Make it a little higher then normal and it clogs. Im looking for a bagger that doesn't clog under those conditions. Iv talked to guys with Exmarks and a lot of them say there great in most conditions. Only one guy said the exmarks clog in wet turf.

What bagger have you guys had the most luck with cutting NewEngland grass? Even an opinion from the walker guys would be nice.

Any one With Pecos, or track vacs?

We collect 90% of the time, Hustler Super 60" and Bac-Vac for open areas and a Walker 48" GHS unit for small areas. The wetter the grass the slower you have to go. The longer the grass the slower you have to go. Wet grass just does not move well. And for long grass, a vac unit can only handle just so much volume. Some times when I use the Hustler in real tall growth I will side discharage the first cut at 1/2" higher than I want it and go back for a second cut at my normal higth.

HenryB
09-09-2006, 12:15 AM
I've owned or tried almost every vac out there and found the Ultra Vac the best. Most suction and least clogging and even packs tha bags very tight.

LawnMower
09-09-2006, 08:56 AM
I've owned or tried almost every vac out there and found the Ultra Vac the best. Most suction and least clogging and even packs tha bags very tight.

A lot of guys in the Newport area use Ultra Vacs on the Exmarks. Im wondering if they can be made to fit on a Bob Cat.

LawnMower
09-09-2006, 07:10 PM
I was just looking at the Bob Cat collection system that there offering now. It looks great. I'm wondering if any one has one yet.

lawncare18
09-09-2006, 08:07 PM
lawnmower... havent seen you on here in a while... hope your season is going good... You keeping busy and keeping up with the grass growing so fast in the northeast this year??

lawncare18
09-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Also.. got any recent pics of your sweet red dully??? Thanks in advance

corey1977
09-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Lawn mower do you have a grass blower on the end of your deck and to push the grass in the bagger?

corey1977
09-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Lawn mower do you have a grass blower on the end of your deck and to push the grass in the bagger?

toro time cutter z 16/42
bolens 22 inch 3.5 horse
murray 20 mulching mower
12x 8 home made trailer
1997 geo tracker
sthil trimmer
troy bilt trimmer
echo blower
home lite back pack blower
and suzuki eiger for spare time

LawnMower
09-10-2006, 10:22 AM
I have the Protero Grass Catcher. It has a fan the Mount's on the end of the deck and it runs off a blade pulley. It blows the grass up into the hopper.

corey1977
09-10-2006, 10:00 PM
I have never seen a bagger yet that dont plug up that is why im waiting 5 more weeks to put mine on to pick up leaves I mulch in the summer

ftgulal
09-14-2006, 09:40 PM
My dixie chopper bagging system does not clog, unlike the protero, and besides the protero only lasted 20 hours and the casing needed replacing. I guess anything is better than protero!

LawnMower
10-09-2006, 11:16 AM
The only problem iv had with my Protero is the clogging. I actually ran the blower with out bagger attached to see if it would clog then, and it didn't. the blower blue grass way up in the air, but I was able to mow at normal speed. So I'm wondering if the bagger isn't allowing the air to flow.

I'm considering the bigger bagger that Protero has. If it doesn't clog and it holds 14 bushels of grass, then il be a happy camper.

Lynden-Jeff
10-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Hey,

JUST got a bagger for my bobcat ZTR. Around here they are all GIANTvac fast vacs. I will get some pics today.

Cheers
Jeff

rodfather
10-09-2006, 06:48 PM
We have 6 Trac Vacs and 3 Pecos (clamshell type). Been in this business way too long to know that if the conditions are terrible/wet, it doesn't matter what kind of collection system ya have...it is gonna clog up, period.

LawnMower
10-10-2006, 11:05 AM
My Protero clog's even in slightly damp conditions as well as slightly high grass. I have to go at a snails pace.

I just talked to local landscaper and he has the giant vac on his Bob cat. It hardly ever clog's he said. It takes really high grass or really wet conditions to clog it.

I notice on the Giant Vac, that the grass exits the blower on the bottom of the unit. The grass exits on the top of the Protero unit. This means the grass has to travel around with the fan and then out the top. On the giant vac or any other vac for that matter, the fan just moves the grass along the bottom and out quick. It seems more efficient.