PDA

View Full Version : My Entire Setup Stolen !!!

gcx1
09-08-2006, 10:28 PM
Just wanted to warn you guys not to put much faith in tongue locks ! My brand new mini z and all my gear was taken from my house in broad daylight today. I can only assume the POS's responsible must have wrapped the safety chains to steal it because there is no way they had time or privacy enough to mess with the shielded lock. Nothing left to do now but argue with the insurance company.....:hammerhead:

nobagger
09-08-2006, 10:31 PM
I would be ill! I have one of those tongue locks also but usually my wife is home. I need to talk to my insurance agent about such an event. If you were closer I would let you have some of our back up stuff.

Jason Rose
09-08-2006, 10:47 PM
Man that's terrible to hear! Been a lot of posts on here this summer about small stuff getting swiped but not any whole rigs that I remember, this summer at least.

That's been my thoughts on a tounge lock too, unless it's a super heavy trailer it's really not stoping anyone from using your chains to drag it to a more secluded location to get the lock cut. I know this was in daylight, which is more nuts... I have a small trailer I use for odds and ends I keep next to my garage. I keep it cabled to the chain link fence. The cable is really hard to cut and the lock is not one with a shank on it. if they want the trailer they get the fence too!

ChadsLawn
09-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Sorry to hear that... My stuff stays in the garage until its time for work.

ACutAbovesiny
09-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Just wanted to warn you guys not to put much faith in tongue locks ! My brand new mini z and all my gear was taken from my house in broad daylight today. I can only assume the POS's responsible must have wrapped the safety chains to steal it because there is no way they had time or privacy enough to mess with the shielded lock. Nothing left to do now but argue with the insurance company.....:hammerhead:

I wouldn't know what to do. What would you do if you saw someone using your equipment? It's really a shame people are out there like that.

Idealtim
09-08-2006, 11:38 PM
Holy ****!!! I have never heard of that much getting stolen at one time.

DBL
09-08-2006, 11:42 PM
that sucks man sorry the mowing crew complains all the time why they have to put the stuff in the shop at the end of the day instead of leaving it on the truck and trailer and this is why

Uranus
09-08-2006, 11:47 PM
A buddy of mine had just his trailer stolen one night. Now he puts a chain trough the rims

DBL
09-08-2006, 11:49 PM
A buddy of mine had just his trailer stolen one night. Now he puts a chain trough the rims

i saw that for the first time like a week ago looks like a good idea but i dont think the guys would look at that try to take off and mess up the rims and axle

6'7 330
09-08-2006, 11:50 PM
Very sorry to hear of you're misfortune. That is tough, I hope all is expedited quickly with you're insurance company.

J&R Landscaping
09-08-2006, 11:51 PM
It makes me sick to hear news like that! Best of luck with your insurance company and getting your equipment back or replaced!

newz7151
09-08-2006, 11:55 PM
Pretty bad that people are going to have to start taking triple measures. Tounge lock, get a boot for the wheel, and something else to help.

geogunn
09-09-2006, 12:19 AM
I can only assume the POS's responsible must have wrapped the safety chains to steal it because there is no way they had time or privacy enough to mess with the shielded lock.

SIR--I am sorry for your loss.

but if it will help you feel better...I am no pro but I can be done with one of those locks in 45 seconds...max. and I don't mean using a torch, either.

cutting the lock unseen and unheard is easy.

I just dunno how the backed in and hauled it off so easy.

what I do is I block my trailer with a truck. ya gotta steal my truck to steal my trailer...and that so far had discouraged theft.

GEO :)

WildWest
09-09-2006, 12:27 AM
All, I can say is, I wish that the Ba$tar& get his gut blown out the next time he does something like this!

I HAVE NO REMORSE for brutally killed thieves. My heart wouldn't ache a bit.... some son of a BIT*CH has the balls to try and take my hard earned IRON.... then they can taste the lead if I catch them. I;d sleep peaceful at night knowing that a predator is gone!

Sorry to hear about this! Tell your ins. Co. PAY UP or talk to MY lawyer!

Robbing a man of his means to provide a living means WAR to me! I'll bust a CAP IN the ass of ANYONE who's trying to steal my $hizzle!

Always remember....dead men don't testify!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Liquidfast
09-09-2006, 01:29 AM
See, here is the thing. I for one find it incredibly hard to believe that it happened.
Now, I am not saying it didn't happen, just that I find it INCREDIBLY hard to believe.

First off....myself and oh, I don't know, maybe the 25 other landscapers in and on my block NEVER leave an unattended trailer at home with all our gear on it. In fact, I don't recall EVER seeing a trailer all by its lonesome fully loaded. Anyway, I wish you good luck and a speedy return....question though....are you planning on returning to work as a LCO AFTER insurance pays you?

AdamChrap
09-09-2006, 01:45 AM
See, here is the thing. I for one find it incredibly hard to believe that it happened.
Now, I am not saying it didn't happen, just that I find it INCREDIBLY hard to believe.

First off....myself and oh, I don't know, maybe the 25 other landscapers in and on my block NEVER leave an unattended trailer at home with all our gear on it. In fact, I don't recall EVER seeing a trailer all by its lonesome fully loaded. Anyway, I wish you good luck and a speedy return....question though....are you planning on returning to work as a LCO AFTER insurance pays you?

Wow I can't believe any of this. I have left my trailer with 2 ztrs, walk behind, Blower and trimmers, about 35k-40k sitting in Wal-Mart parking lot before just so I didn't have to pull it the 15 miles I was running for a part! I am so glad we don't have the problem here. I don't have one lock or safety precaution of any sort. We run 2-3 crews and been doing this 10 years. Never had so much as a gas can stolen.

topsites
09-09-2006, 01:52 AM
It dawned on me recently that tongue locks do little when a thief can simply unclip the entire receiver...
So I need to get a locking pin for the receiver myself.

Sorry to hear that... My stuff stays in the garage until its time for work.

I have been practicing a safety tip I heard on here myself, which is to always back my trailer right up to a tree. Not only is the gate secure but it would be a royal pita to try and squeeze the trailer out from between the tree and the truck.

Still, that's just hardcore to unclip a receiver then MOVE by hand a loaded trailer, man...
Reminds me of about a month ago when one of my trailer tires went flat, I felt REAL nervous leaving the trailer behind while I went to get stuff to fix it.

Tharrell
09-09-2006, 06:22 AM
I feel your pain. I had a ton of stuff stolen off my trailer, in my carport at 9:30 am last year. I feel like it was someone who knew me. May be the case with you. Stealing something like that in broad daylight is not the same as breaking into your house. They KNEW when to strike.

Grimmy
09-09-2006, 07:09 AM
Browse e-bay.
Hope all goes well with your insurance company.

noseha
09-09-2006, 07:28 AM
Where In Mi Do You Live?

parkeeee
09-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Boy would that suck. Another post reminding us to be careful.

stumper1620
09-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Where In Mi Do You Live?
I'll second this Question.
By the way, the easiest time for a thief IS in Broad daylight. for some reason people don't pay attention to whats going on around them during day like they do at night.

noseha
09-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Stumper You Do Meijers In Cad ?

Splicer
09-09-2006, 11:08 AM
I'll second this Question.
By the way, the easiest time for a thief IS in Broad daylight. for some reason people don't pay attention to whats going on around them during day like they do at night.
Y'all never heard of the old adage 'You can't see the forest for the trees' have you...:usflag:

Brendan Smith
09-09-2006, 11:11 AM
that happened to my buddy last year. i feel for you.

Pietro
09-09-2006, 12:01 PM
We lock all of our stuff. If its sitting overnite its covered with tarps...so people cant see what it is while driving by. I also engrave my initials in my equipement in a special spot.......this way if i DO ever find someone using it, I will know if its mine or not.

stumper1620
09-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Stumper You Do Meijers In Cad ?
Nope. I don't care for meijers bidding process (auctions).

Liquidfast
09-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Y'all never heard of the old adage 'You can't see the forest for the trees' have you...:usflag:

Verb
see the forest for the trees

(idiomatic) To discern an overall pattern from a mass of detail; to see the bigger picture, or the broader, more general situation. Generally used in the negative.
Smith is good at detail, but can't see the forest for the trees

I'm just tryin to tie in your comment with the response given is all.....

gcx1
09-09-2006, 02:05 PM
I really appreciate all of the wonderful comments and support. This happened in the suburbs of Ann Arbor, MI in an area where this sort of thing doesn't often happen. I think I am the only one on this rural street that actually locks anything !

Liquifast, if I took your post the wrong way then I apologize for the following comments. My post was designed to be a warning to others not to let your guard down, a tongue lock DOES NOT protect you from theft. Nothing more, nothing less. You do not know what kind of man I am, therefore, you have NO right to question my integrity. Nor do you have right to accuse me of fraud ! These types of personal attacks on my character would cause you to go home with fewer teeth if said in person. Take your detective work and pessimistic attitude to another thread because I will not entertain your ignorance on this one.

For everyone else, I hope this post serves as a reminder to all that these are just deterrent devices and not protection. I really appreciate the overwhelming concern, but no worries here. I will go see the dealer Monday and buy it again. Seeing as how I just bought new stuff recently, he may give me a deal that would help offset what insurance don't pay and deductibles will eat up.

Honestly, its not about the equipment, its about someone taking something from me because they are too lazy to work and earn it. A mans tools of the trade, that is a cardinal sin in my book and if caught in the act would bear the death penalty. Furthermore, my wife is now paranoid about every noise within 500 yards of our home and that is disheartening. This is our home and my family should not feel vulnerable here.

Liquidfast
09-09-2006, 02:10 PM
I really appreciate all of the wonderful comments and support. This happened in the suburbs of Ann Arbor, MI in an area where this sort of thing doesn't often happen. I think I am the only one on this rural street that actually locks anything !

Liquifast, if I took your post the wrong way then I apologize for the following comments. My post was designed to be a warning to others not to let your guard down, a tongue lock DOES NOT protect you from theft. Nothing more, nothing less. You do not know what kind of man I am, therefore, you have NO right to question my integrity. Nor do you have right to accuse me of fraud ! These types of personal attacks on my character would cause you to go home with fewer teeth if said in person. Take your detective work and pessimistic attitude to another thread because I will not entertain your ignorance on this one.

For everyone else, I hope this post serves as a reminder to all that these are just deterrent devices and not protection. I really appreciate the overwhelming concern, but no worries here. I will go see the dealer Monday and buy it again. Seeing as how I just bought new stuff recently, he may give me a deal that would help offset what insurance don't pay and deductibles will eat up.

Honestly, its not about the equipment, its about someone taking something from me because they are too lazy to work and earn it. A mans tools of the trade, that is a cardinal sin in my book and if caught in the act would bear the death penalty. Furthermore, my wife is now paranoid about every noise within 500 yards of our home and that is disheartening. This is our home and my family should not feel vulnerable here.

I certainly wouldn't take your comment or anyone elses for that matter on the internet as offensive, but thank you. I was playing devils advocate which you will encounter with your insurance co. Believe me, you are in for a treat when you lay claim with em. As far as the comment about having fewer teeth, sure, I may leave with fewer teeth and you may leave in a body bag but seeing as though it would certainly never happen (our encounter with each other) I'll just take it at face value. Good luck to you. It took me 8 months to receive a payout when my gear was snuffed so sit back, find your receipts and don't let em talk you into some small rinky dinky payout.

Once again though.....r u planning on continuing your bizzz???

gcx1
09-09-2006, 02:31 PM
That being said, I will take it at face value as well. Yes, I have obligations to my customers and I will at minimum fill my obligations to the seasons end. I paid cash for all of my equipment, therefore, I have no need to settle on a lesser amount from the insurance company to keep my head above water. It was less than 3 months old, and all reciepts are accounted for with the exception of the trailer that was bought second hand and refurbished. I do however have pictures of my trailer and prices from comparable trailers for basis of comparison. Futhermore, I did not pay retail price on any of the equipment, in fact I saved about 20% because the mower had .6 hours of demo on the clock. If the insurance company repays receipt value it will have saved them alot of money over replacement value. Shouldnt be too difficult to get payed. I may have a hard time getting the same deals I received on the last purchase but we will have to see.

traman
09-09-2006, 05:12 PM
sorry for your loss,2yrs ago people were getting hit at home depot,go inside for what ever, come out trailer would be gone. i had a trimmer and edger stolen out of my enclosed trailer i was only 30 ft away

AdamChrap
09-10-2006, 02:35 AM
sorry for your loss,2yrs ago people were getting hit at home depot,go inside for what ever, come out trailer would be gone. i had a trimmer and edger stolen out of my enclosed trailer i was only 30 ft away

30ft? You didn't jump them!?

indy2tall
09-10-2006, 10:23 AM

Liquidfast, your comment is uncalled for. Perhaps he didn't have a garage to put the trailer in and since his wife was home he thought it would be ok. To just come out and call him a liar and a criminal when you don't know him makes you look like an ass.