PDA

View Full Version : check engine light with code. HELP

mike lane lawn care
09-08-2006, 09:56 PM
my check engine light came on, so i pluged my code reader into it and i got a po442 code, which means a small leak has been dectected in the evaporitive emmisoions control system. i replaced the gas cap as recomended, and reset the codes. but i believe this to be something other than the gas cap, as there was no damage to the cap. i will know in a few days. what else could it be? how much to fix? i'm thinking hoses, or that charcoal filled can.

it is a 2000 RWD chevy astro. any thougth are well apreciated.

thanks

Keith
09-08-2006, 10:47 PM
I'd be looking for the easy stuff first. Maybe something as simple as a hose pulling out of the EVAP canister or a leak in one of the vent lines, fittings, tees, etc. You ever catch a whiff of stong raw fuel vapor?

jim dailey
09-09-2006, 08:30 AM
My wife has a 1999 Monte Carlo. Had the same code. It was the filler neck tube. It had a small hole in it, due to rust. Replaced the whole assembly, cleared the code, and it is working just fine. At first, I thought it was the gas cap, but upon further observation, the filler tube was the culprit.

mike lane lawn care
09-09-2006, 09:51 AM
My wife has a 1999 Monte Carlo. Had the same code. It was the filler neck tube. It had a small hole in it, due to rust. Replaced the whole assembly, cleared the code, and it is working just fine. At first, I thought it was the gas cap, but upon further observation, the filler tube was the culprit.
interesting, i know mine has a bit of rust on it, i'll have to take a close look at it. i have afriend who is a mechanic, he should be able to know for sure.

thanks!