PDA

View Full Version : Discharge Shute Enlargement

Total.Lawn.Care
09-08-2006, 11:25 PM
I have an Exmark 36" Belt Drive WB and a John Deere 727 54" Ztr. I have almost no clumpign problems with my Deere due to the design of the 7 Iron II Deck and the LARGE discharge Shute. I was wondering if anyone has cut their deck to enlarge to discharge shute and allow thick, overgrown grass to escape the deck with greater ease and not clump up and cause the mower to bog down.

I have thought about using a plasma cutter to open up the rear of the discharge opening and flattening the back side of the discharge schroud to emulte the opening and scroud design on my Deere but I wanted some feedback first. Do not want to cut it out and have to weld it back later...

Idealtim
09-08-2006, 11:41 PM
Your on the right track but think of how much more grass comes out of the larger deck. And cutting it would prolly comprimise strengh, to.

HenryB
09-08-2006, 11:48 PM
I did exactly what you describe on an Exmark Metro several years ago and yes less clumping and did not effect the cut. Everyone told me I can't just cut a deck; I did and it improved the machine. Start by just shaving off an inch and go from there.

Total.Lawn.Care
09-08-2006, 11:53 PM
I did exactly what you describe on an Exmark Metro several years ago and yes less clumping and did not effect the cut. Everyone told me I can't just cut a deck; I did and it improved the machine. Start by just shaving off an inch and go from there.

I thought about basically knocking out the side of the deck rear of the opening to the first bend at the back of the deck so that the grass cannot get caught and start to clump in that back corner.

Henry -- How much of your deck did you end up cutting out???

HenryB
09-09-2006, 12:02 AM
An inch or two at most for me. You could cut even more if you like.

jkingrph
09-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Hope you welded on some type of "frame" or enlarged discharge chute extension so blades are properly covered. I would hate to think of liability if end of blade extended beyond discharge chute.

Total.Lawn.Care
09-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Hope you welded on some type of "frame" or enlarged discharge chute extension so blades are properly covered. I would hate to think of liability if end of blade extended beyond discharge chute.

THe chute on this mower is boxed around the front and back. I plannes on taking the back side a flattening it out similar to the chute on the JD, It shields the front and the top, but is open on the back to facilitate the throw pattern. Do not fear. I plan on keeping the safety in mind.

Godfather
09-22-2006, 06:23 PM
i open my discharge shoot to mow

gl1200a
09-22-2006, 07:00 PM
You know, I have the same 727A with the 54" deck, but I never thought about cutting or disfiguring anything I owned that was designed by a bunch of engineers way smarter than me. As was mentioned earlier in this thread... forget about less clumping and think about more safety.

HenryB
09-22-2006, 07:28 PM
gl1200A,
Those guys are no smarter than you, many of them never cut a lawn.There are a lot of things that can easily be improved.

Total.Lawn.Care
09-22-2006, 10:52 PM
You know, I have the same 727A with the 54" deck, but I never thought about cutting or disfiguring anything I owned that was designed by a bunch of engineers way smarter than me. As was mentioned earlier in this thread... forget about less clumping and think about more safety.

Just so that you know I amnot an idiot, I am not talking of widening the discharge chute on the 727, I want to open up the chute opening on the Exmark (like the 727 is)...

Richard Martin
09-23-2006, 05:53 AM
gl1200A,
Those guys are no smarter than you, many of them never cut a lawn.There are a lot of things that can easily be improved.

Ain't that the truth. I've modified more than one deck in my time. If you want to see some of my handywork just look at the Gravely 48" deck. Gravely obtained pics of my highly modified 50" deck before final designs were done on the new 48" and some of my stuff is in there.

In any case, I would add a triangle piece of steel to the rear of the discharge to reduce that clump that falls off of the back of the discharge before I removed anything. The triangle steel will not allow grass to accumulate at that point.

David Haggerty
09-23-2006, 05:25 PM
I'm not familiar with the WB you have, but I'd suggest opening up the front of the discharge opening. The sooner the clippings exit the less likely they are to ball up.

I had a 36" Bunton "mulching" WB which had no discharge chute at all. I cut the side out of it right up next to the front right corner. I had to weld a little brace across the top of the deck over the new opening to reinforce the deck. It worked great for years.
That mower had a square deck. The left front corner was always catching on a fence post or something raming a handlebar into my gut! It didn't take me long to hack that corner off and round it off so it would trim without getting hung up.
If you do a decent job and use color matched paint nobody will know it's been modified.

MDLawnman
09-23-2006, 08:14 PM
I've always wondered why mower decks don't have the ability to discharge on both sides at the same time? A manual or electric mulch plate mounted on both sides would stop spraying into gardens etc. when necessary. Isn't the idea to get the grass out of the deck before it can clump?

YardPro
09-23-2006, 08:22 PM
you are an injury lawyer's dream.....

think of the liability of what you are doing....

the discharge openings are designed to keep debris from flying out and up, where a rock, etc, could kill someone.

Envy Lawn Service
09-23-2006, 11:17 PM
I think he is talking about modifying the chute deflector shield, not the actual opening.

The eXmark shields suck... worthless.
Just remove it. No worse liability wise than hacking it.
The best thing to do would be to fit a Toro rubber shield if you are that worried about it.

Envy Lawn Service
09-23-2006, 11:19 PM
Ain't that the truth. I've modified more than one deck in my time. If you want to see some of my handywork just look at the Gravely 48" deck. Gravely obtained pics of my highly modified 50" deck before final designs were done on the new 48" and some of my stuff is in there.

In any case, I would add a triangle piece of steel to the rear of the discharge to reduce that clump that falls off of the back of the discharge before I removed anything. The triangle steel will not allow grass to accumulate at that point.

Hey... you can't just leave me hanging here on that...
Inquiring minds want to know more about that triangle steel.

topsites
09-23-2006, 11:26 PM
Just so that you know I amnot an idiot, I am not talking of widening the discharge chute on the 727, I want to open up the chute opening on the Exmark (like the 727 is)...

I am not sure if they're the same machine but I have a 48" Toro fixed deck and what I did is way simpler than cutting steel...
Now the Metro and the Viking models are very similar to the Toro, but again I don't know, anyway...

By the way: DO realize before you do this that this presents a potential safety hazard as objects caught by the blade can and will be flung considerable distances. Strategic mowing direction helps prevent these hazards from striking windows et.al, but you really need to know what you're doing before you open the chute or you may face liability issues.

Specifically, I removed the spring that holds the stupid rubber chute down, then I cut a piece of steel tube to size and slid that over the bolt (you need to do this, slip something sturdy on the bolt between the two deck holders / support pieces or they will bend inwards over time). Anyway, it does flop a little but now I got it where anytime I want to discharge good, I simply flip the chute on top of the deck cover and most of the time it stays there.

Same thing goes between beds, I put the rubber chute down so it rows the clippings and doesn't shoot them as far, but most of the time the stupid chute stays in the Up position.

Let me know if you need pictures ...