PDA

View Full Version : Lights on Z-Turn

Total.Lawn.Care
09-08-2006, 11:51 PM
I have a John Deere 727A with the 23HP Kawisaki engine and it has the ROPS bar on the back. I was wondering if anyone has installed lights on their Z-Turns to assist in mowing in the late evening and getting caught in the dark. It is getting dark right at about 7:45 to 8PM right now and after 7:30 that light fades fast. I was cutting a property a few days ago when the sun started to fall and I almost could not see where I had cut and what needed to be cut.

If installed with proper grounding and switch, would a set of Driving lights form an auto parts store create a problem with battery charging on this Mower. Any thoughts apprecaited.

captken
09-09-2006, 12:04 AM
Hello,
That used to be my dilemma. I have scene gotten older and wiser. I do not mow that late anymore.
Stay in this game long enough and you either grow or flounder.
If you grow, you will have the manpower and the equipment to finish sooner.

Mow after dark? Not a chance.

captken
09-09-2006, 12:06 AM
Hello,
That used to be my dilemma. I have scene gotten older and wiser. I do not mow that late anymore.
Stay in this game long enough and you either grow or flounder.
If you grow, you will have the manpower and the equipment to finish sooner.

Mow after dark? Not a chance.

I wondered the same thing, and yes you can put lights on the machine, but why?

Total.Lawn.Care
09-09-2006, 12:11 AM
I wondered the same thing, and yes you can put lights on the machine, but why?

Right now I am mowing part time, after work. It is critical that I get about 3 lawns done a night to keep up with what I need to get done and I am Solo. I do nto want to get caught that late again and end up missing something and haing the yard look bad.

I also mow several yard for realtors where the houses are empty and none of them have close neighbors. I could actually mow them a little later in the evening and use the daylight time to get my regular customers.

I hope to grow soon enough that I can work this lawn care full time and be able to finish long before dark and call it a day.

dcondon
09-09-2006, 12:12 AM
No way will I mow after dark. Why do you want too:confused: :confused:

Josh.S
09-09-2006, 12:18 AM
I have caterpillar waterproof/shock proof switch and lights. They are really conventient, all you have to when your mowing late evening/night is just make sure when your doing the lawn that you can see what spots you need to weedeat.. but if your laying stripes then you can forget it beause you will never see the stripes with lights .. I mostly use mine for late evening and also if you have some once a month lots and things like that it is really easy to use.

If you mount lights you can probably get car fog lights and a water proof switch, you should mount them so you can see the yard AND your deck wheels.
For mine I take the ground off the lights, hook them together and run them to the frame and screw it in. I took the positive and ran it to the switch, and then I ran a part of the switch and ran it to the battery. If you want pictures I can give some.

You can see in my forum picture where they are mounted against the gas tank.

captken
09-09-2006, 12:25 AM
No way will I mow after dark. Why do you want too:confused: :confused:

Exactly. I have used the customer's outside lights to finish. But they did not want me to imposition them that way...and told me so..[why don't you come back tomorrow and finish...] they probably thought it was stupid, or hard up for money........

Way unprofessional, bordering on Ghetto, get me some cash NOW! got to feed them kiddies...

Total.Lawn.Care
09-09-2006, 12:34 AM
Exactly. I have used the customer's outside lights to finish. But they did not want me to imposition them that way...and told me so..[why don't you come back tomorrow and finish...] they probably thought it was stupid, or hard up for money........

Way unprofessional, bordering on Ghetto, get me some cash NOW! got to feed them kiddies...

I understand all of you comments about owing after dark, but like I said, I mow in the evenings, and sometimes I cannot even start teh first yard until 5PM, I am solo and by 8PM it is Black dark here and getting darker earlier. Not all weekends are options due to National Guard Drill and you cannot always bank on a Saturday being good weather, not lately anyway. So, my customers understand that I am there in the evenings. I would not show up to a customers house to cut after dark, but I want to be able to finish in tha dark if that is what is neccessary and I do not want to inconvience them by having them turn on lights after dark.

tacoma200
09-09-2006, 12:49 AM
Nothing wrong with mowing after dark if that's what works out for you. Most mower manufacturers have light kits. I have heard of comercial jobs using outdoor lighting when the days get shorter. Of course make sure you customers are comfortable with it. This is something alot of part timers have to deal with as well as full time LCO's that may have had bad weather, breakdowns, etc. Some people do have to feed the kids. I'm one. Mowing part time is about the only way I can afford to be close to my kids without seeking employment with a job that keeps me away. I have enough skills to make alot more money but choose to be close to home.

captken
09-09-2006, 12:59 AM
I understand all of you comments about owing after dark, but like I said, I mow in the evenings, and sometimes I cannot even start teh first yard until 5PM, I am solo and by 8PM it is Black dark here and getting darker earlier. Not all weekends are options due to National Guard Drill and you cannot always bank on a Saturday being good weather, not lately anyway. So, my customers understand that I am there in the evenings. I would not show up to a customers house to cut after dark, but I want to be able to finish in tha dark if that is what is neccessary and I do not want to inconvience them by having them turn on lights after dark.

You are asking a full time guy for advise? Maybe you should have to choose what is more important to you, mowing or your present endeavour.
Want to have your cake and to eat it too?

Total.Lawn.Care
09-09-2006, 01:09 AM
You are asking a full time guy for advise? Maybe you should have to choose what is more important to you, mowing or your present endeavour.

You know, some people have to walk before you can crawl. With a family and bilsl to pay, you can't just walk out of a steady paycheck to run a business that has no customers and no source of income. If you read my D#MN post you would have seen that I fully intent to make this my full time job, but I can't afford to give up the regular paycheck yet..... so I do what I have to do to satisfy my customers, my job and still make ends meet and work on growing my company....

Josh.S
09-09-2006, 01:13 AM
You know, some people have to walk before you can crawl. With a family and bilsl to pay, you can't just walk out of a steady paycheck to run a business that has no customers and no source of income. If you read my D#MN post you would have seen that I fully intent to make this my full time job, but I can't afford to give up the regular paycheck yet..... so I do what I have to do to satisfy my customers, my job and still make ends meet and work on growing my company....

I completely agree with you and what you are doing... I am lucky since I am only 17 that I have the opportunity to do what I am doing because as of this year, I probably couldn't even support myself if I didn't live with my parents, but my father has some medical problems that could leave me supporting the family within less than a year. So atleast if anything like that happens I can keep the family running with the income I will recieve from the business.

tacoma200
09-09-2006, 01:30 AM
Not trying to start a fight but so far reading the post Total.Lawn.Care seems to have a good attitude and no offense but I would probably hire him before you because of the attitude that flows from your post. Such as the ghetto comment and suggesting he should choose one job or another, but not both. He's just getting started in the business and he could use help and information instead of some of the remarks. I think there are alot of part time guys on Lawnsite. Nothing personal but you just seem to be mad at someone or something. Maybe you don't think a person should start part time, I'm not sure. Is using the stereotypical ghetto remark really professional. Don't get mad at me I'm just giving an honest response and have nothing against you personally.

Josh.S
09-09-2006, 01:33 AM
Not trying to start a fight but so far reading the post Total.Lawn.Care seems to have a good attitude and no offense but I would probably hire him before you because of the attitude that flows from your post. Such as the ghetto comment and suggesting he should choose one job or another, but not both. He's just getting started in the business and he could use help and information instead of some of the remarks. I think there are alot of part time guys on Lawnsite. Nothing personal but you just seem to be mad at someone or something. Maybe you don't think a person should start part time, I'm not sure. Is using the stereotypical ghetto remark really professional. Don't get mad at me I'm just giving an honest response and have nothing against you personally.

*trucewhiteflag* ^^^ Agree

DLCS
09-09-2006, 01:34 AM
Total,

You can easily add lights to your z turn. Get a pair of driving lights from an auto parts store, but make sure you add a relay. I often thought about doing this and I'm a full time guy. In the fall I always end up finishing in the dark. Ignore Capken, if I remember correctly he retired from working on the tugboats, big difference from alot of guys here, either fulltime or part-time.

Total.Lawn.Care
09-09-2006, 02:01 AM
Total,

You can easily add lights to your z turn. Get a pair of driving lights from an auto parts store, but make sure you add a relay. I often thought about doing this and I'm a full time guy. In the fall I always end up finishing in the dark. Ignore Capken, if I remember correctly he retired from working on the tugboats, big difference from alot of guys here, either fulltime or part-time.

Thanks... Why the relay? And where do I put it? I have a set od driving lights on my truck that have a relay. The relay wires into the parking lights so that it completes the circuit so that when you turn off the lights, they go off as well. I assume you would want to add the relay on the ignition switch for the same reason without actually wiring the full voltage power through the ignition switch. Am I correct? If not, please correct me. I do not want to damamge anything on the Z by wiring incorrectly. I am just not all that familiar with Relays... Otherwise, this is like a 30 minute install start to finish and testing...

DLCS
09-09-2006, 03:08 AM
Thanks... Why the relay? And where do I put it? I have a set od driving lights on my truck that have a relay. The relay wires into the parking lights so that it completes the circuit so that when you turn off the lights, they go off as well. I assume you would want to add the relay on the ignition switch for the same reason without actually wiring the full voltage power through the ignition switch. Am I correct? If not, please correct me. I do not want to damamge anything on the Z by wiring incorrectly. I am just not all that familiar with Relays... Otherwise, this is like a 30 minute install start to finish and testing...

Right, you should use a relay so the load doesn't pass through the switch. Also, use a fuse too.

jkingrph
09-09-2006, 12:06 PM
I am homeowner with full time job in a hospital, Air conditioned. In our extreme Texas heat I prefer to mow my 2 acres late, after sun has tipped over behind trees so I am at least in shade My mowers have lights so I can start late and finish. I usually chase the shade, or in early spring or later in fall will mow around trees,ect leaving open areas to mow as it gets darker. I would not have a mower without the lights.

pugs
09-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Its ok to not use a relay if your switch is rated to handle the load you are switching. But you should have a fuse in there.

You should also check and see how many amps the charging system on your engine is designed to put out. Make sure your your light load along with your electric clutch are not going to draw more than the charging system can put out otherwise you will be draining the battery.

Runner
09-09-2006, 03:34 PM
I am a full timer and I run a light on mine. When I first installed it, we were doing some industrial type sites with fields and when the days grew short, it extended my day greatly. Below is a link to a recent thread that I explained how I did it, and in that there is yet another link that has a icture of the setup. Just look for the post by me.I hope this helps.

Total.Lawn.Care
09-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Well, bought the lights today.. A $17 set of white Driving Lights from Advanced Auto Parts. They are 55W Halogens and I got a 30Amp Relay. The Relay says it will handle two 150 Watt Lights or four 55 Watt Lights. So I should be fine. I also got a different swith that can mount through the panel next to my ignition switch with just drilling a hole. THe one that came with the lights is a slot type press it rocker switch. I did not want to cut a slot in that panel, but a switch that mounts through a driller hole is easy to replace should it ever fail and need replacing.

Probably going to mount them up tomorrow night. I will post picks when I am done...