PDA

View Full Version : 54"or 60"

wacaweed
09-09-2006, 12:04 AM
Ok guys sold my cub and now going in the am to get the lesco z-two My question is should I go for the 54" deck or the 60" deck and why. I am torn not sure witch one. Thanks Joe:hammerhead: :drinkup:

dcondon
09-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Go with the 60" we have 2 of them and a 72", you will regret not getting the 60".The cut is very good and so is the handling:cool2:

dcondon
09-09-2006, 12:11 AM
I forgot to mention that you can cut so much more grass with the 60. We notice a BIG difference between a 60 and a 72". Time wise that is and also mowing on hills.

HenryB
09-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Buy a 60 inch don't encourage these oddball size decks. 44,66,56,42,50, I like 36,48,60,72and maybe 66. JMO

Envy Lawn Service
09-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Ok guys sold my cub and now going in the am to get the lesco z-two My question is should I go for the 54" deck or the 60" deck and why. I am torn not sure witch one. Thanks Joe:hammerhead: :drinkup:

I have the 60" also...

I agree with the others and say I strongly feel the 60" is the way to go.
You can put it anywhere you can put the 54" as they are the same machine.
You get the extra production of the 60" AND the trim capacity.

Also, I thought of the one thing that will probably ease your mind...

The 60" Ztwo does not suffer from scalping problems!!!
It has plenty of anti-scalp rollers..
Plus the tires are REALLY CLOSE to the deck.

The 60" Ztwo scalps less that the 52" Lazer HP.

wacaweed
09-09-2006, 01:04 AM
Envey Do you have a bagger for your lesco or trac Vac. and if so how well does the lesco bagger work

Envy Lawn Service
09-09-2006, 01:46 AM
Envey Do you have a bagger for your lesco or trac Vac. and if so how well does the lesco bagger work

No...

But there are two systems you can get through Lesco/Cub.

One is the Peco style vac with the pony motor and aluminum dump-from-seat box.

The other is your typical 3-bagger. This is sold in two kits. One is just the plain old 3 bag catcher part. The other is the induction blower kit. The induction blower kit is a spindle driven unit. But it is unique among others in that the blower is NOT drawing air into it from the deck discharge, nor does the discharge pass through it. Instead, the blower has a pipe that goes into the bottom of the main tube. It blows air into the tube to push the clippings on through and into the bagger.

I guess it is much like if you stuck a super strong backpack blower pipe into the catcher tube to push the debris through. I've heard both sides of it though. Good if you just want to catch and have your stuff last way longer. Bad if you don't care about life and expect the blower fan to shread everything a second time so what goes in the bag is reduced down very small. But from my personal experience, I find this 60" Lesco has the most finely chopped discharge I have ever seen come out of a mower deck regardless of blade type. I'm a mulching man at heart and this is the only mower I've really ever owned that I like the discharge of, and don't mind a lot to run side discharge. So I wouldn't want and in-tube blower I don't think.

edward hedrick
09-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Go with the 60", I passed on a Lesco 54" float deck wb, I didn't like the trimming of the 54". I have a 61" Scag 3 wheel, I almost bought it w a 52"deck. Glad I didn't. Ed

REALSLOW
09-09-2006, 10:33 PM
It depends on your properties,a 60 has problems on small uneven lawns. I have to have 2 mowers for my main mowing. The 48 n 52 genearly cut better but are slower on large properties. I believe in most cases a Midsize like a Wright or a WB sulky 48 or 52 is good for small to medium lots and a 60 or bigger ZTR is for bigger properties. I get great results using this concept.

pugs
09-09-2006, 10:44 PM
A customer wanted us to install one of their 3 bag/blower setups just recently. We went and got it at the Lesco dealer. I open the bagger portion and pull out the instructions. The pages are all out of order and some are upside down. I thought I could pull the staples out and maybe put it in some kind of order. I was wrong. What a joke.

Open the blower package. Its missing the instructions all together. Well thats because they come in the bag with the hardware...which was also missing.

Both boxes went back to Lesco and sent the customer there as well.

Just a warning if you decide to get one...check things over before you take it home.

REALSLOW
09-09-2006, 11:05 PM
A customer wanted us to install one of their 3 bag/blower setups just recently. We went and got it at the Lesco dealer. I open the bagger portion and pull out the instructions. The pages are all out of order and some are upside down. I thought I could pull the staples out and maybe put it in some kind of order. I was wrong. What a joke.

Open the blower package. Its missing the instructions all together. Well thats because they come in the bag with the hardware...which was also missing.

Both boxes went back to Lesco and sent the customer there as well.

Just a warning if you decide to get one...check things over before you take it home. Pugs what kind of problems did you see on the Z2 that made you say they have early failure rates on some items?

dcondon
09-09-2006, 11:06 PM
We have two of the Peco style vac's and they work very well. You would not believe the leaves it will suck up.:cool2:

Envy Lawn Service
09-09-2006, 11:12 PM
It depends on your properties,a 60 has problems on small uneven lawns. I have to have 2 mowers for my main mowing. The 48 n 52 genearly cut better but are slower on large properties. I believe in most cases a Midsize like a Wright or a WB sulky 48 or 52 is good for small to medium lots and a 60 or bigger ZTR is for bigger properties. I get great results using this concept.

That's bull...

It my be true of the mowers YOU run... but not all mowers.
It strongly depends on the design of the individual mower itself.

For instance, my 60" Lesco scalps no more than any 48" I have owned.
Scalps less than a 52" eXmark also.

In fact, I really don't ever have any scalping issues with it, yet I can't say the same for the smaller eXmark. It's not laid out as well, so it is prone to scalp certain places.

I doubt you mow anything near the challenging terrain I encounter on every lawn.

The only thing I run into with my Lesco 60" is that I have one account with a terrace that I have to hit just the right way on one end to avoid a little gap in turf height (eXmark hits dirt here) and I have one account that has a ditchline that is more of a widening 'swale' than a ditchline and if I am not careful it will also gap the turf here or ride up over the turf in another area. Just a really weird shape and this one gets cut @ 2.5"

dcondon
09-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Our 72 does not Scalp anymore then the 60's. Just have to learn how to mow.

REALSLOW
09-09-2006, 11:31 PM
That's bull...

It my be true of the mowers YOU run... but not all mowers.
It strongly depends on the design of the individual mower itself.

For instance, my 60" Lesco scalps no more than any 48" I have owned.
Scalps less than a 52" eXmark also.

In fact, I really don't ever have any scalping issues with it, yet I can't say the same for the smaller eXmark. It's not laid out as well, so it is prone to scalp certain places.

I doubt you mow anything near the challenging terrain I encounter on every lawn.

The only thing I run into with my Lesco 60" is that I have one account with a terrace that I have to hit just the right way on one end to avoid a little gap in turf height (eXmark hits dirt here) and I have one account that has a ditchline that is more of a widening 'swale' than a ditchline and if I am not careful it will also gap the turf here or ride up over the turf in another area. Just a really weird shape and this one gets cut @ 2.5" I said generally a well designed 48 will cut way better on small tight lots with uneven terrain than your 60 take note A WELL DESIGNED 48 !!!!!!!!!!!!!, I have problems with my Super scalping because the right wheel in front is a ways from the deck but I would not trade the design for a slower worse riding mower. I cut some stuff friday with my WB that if you tried on your Z peeeyeeeeeeeeeewww you and the mower would be upside down in a ditch with you under it sucking on mud and water. Do you even own a good midsize? or are you one of these clowns who think the ZTR is for every job no matter what size.

pugs
09-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Pugs what kind of problems did you see on the Z2 that made you say they have early failure rates on some items?

Z2 and Viper front axles all loose and just about falling apart where it pivots.

Front castors all loose where they rotate in the axle.

Clutches...apparently the people that make them cant put a clutch on an engine correctly. I have had 2 under warranty. One the bolt broke and and the clutch ate itself. Another the bolt came loose, the clutch dropped down and started spinning tearing up the wiring. Our Lesco dealer actually got one in a crate that didnt even have a bolt...or maybe the washer was missing...I forget. They came down by us looking for a washer because Lesco had them backordered...LOL

On a Hydro fixed deck WB the deck was so badly cracked around the spindles we ended up replacing the deck. One of the spindles you could have hit with a hammer and the chunk of deck and spindle would have dropped out of it. The other 2 were not far behind. Never have seen anything close to this on any other brand of commercial mower.

Fairly new Z2 with a deck bent so bad in the front that the blades were hitting it. Dunno what they smacked with that but I thought these were tanks...

Another Z2 that was like 1.5 years old...the deck was so loose on it seemed like it was hanging on chains instead of that whole linkage system they have.

Just some of the things I can think of off the top of my head. I think I mentioned some of them to you in other threads. Are you done asking about that now?

wacaweed
09-10-2006, 12:46 AM
ok all I went with the 60" and did my lawn today man this thing is a cadilac compared to the 50 rtz homeowner cub LOL I love it

REALSLOW
09-10-2006, 12:46 AM
Z2 and Viper front axles all loose and just about falling apart where it pivots.

Front castors all loose where they rotate in the axle.

Clutches...apparently the people that make them cant put a clutch on an engine correctly. I have had 2 under warranty. One the bolt broke and and the clutch ate itself. Another the bolt came loose, the clutch dropped down and started spinning tearing up the wiring. Our Lesco dealer actually got one in a crate that didnt even have a bolt...or maybe the washer was missing...I forget. They came down by us looking for a washer because Lesco had them backordered...LOL

On a Hydro fixed deck WB the deck was so badly cracked around the spindles we ended up replacing the deck. One of the spindles you could have hit with a hammer and the chunk of deck and spindle would have dropped out of it. The other 2 were not far behind. Never have seen anything close to this on any other brand of commercial mower.

Fairly new Z2 with a deck bent so bad in the front that the blades were hitting it. Dunno what they smacked with that but I thought these were tanks...

Another Z2 that was like 1.5 years old...the deck was so loose on it seemed like it was hanging on chains instead of that whole linkage system they have.

Just some of the things I can think of off the top of my head. I think I mentioned some of them to you in other threads. Are you done asking about that now? I did not see the other thread, I remember asking but I did not think you responded. I asked because I am thinking about getting a slightly used one for 50 cents on the $. The problems you mention are no big deal but I know it is not a Hustler.

I just demoed a new Snapper pro last week. I complained to my dealer that the Hustler's needed bigger motors so he let me try a Snapper Pro it had a big Vangaurd in it. It has a great chair seat but the machine was overly complicated and rattled a little and it became appearant real quick the chasses was not as solid or well thought out as the Hustler.

Envy Lawn Service
09-10-2006, 01:18 AM
ok all I went with the 60" and did my lawn today man this thing is a cadilac compared to the 50 rtz homeowner cub LOL I love it

Congrats on your purchase!

Also, if your experience is anything like mine, it will be a love that just keeps growing. The longer I run them, the more I like them.

wacaweed
09-10-2006, 01:43 AM
I sure hope so envy first cut was like a dream I have to say :dancing:

Envy Lawn Service
09-10-2006, 01:54 AM
I sure hope so envy first cut was like a dream I have to say :dancing:

In my conditions, nothing can out-cut it all around either...
It excels in both good yards and bad.
It excels in both northern and southern turf.
It excels in good conditions and bad.

I really can't say enough about the cut quality.
Several mowers are good cutters in their own niche.
But everything seems to be this deck's niche and I can't say that about anything else.