PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Trailer Modifications

Total.Lawn.Care
09-09-2006, 12:41 AM
I have seen several LCOs that are operating out of Enclosed trailers that have rear barn doors. I started on a flat bed and then realized that I had an enclosed if I coul djust figure out how to fabricate a fixed ramp that folds up inside the doors so that I woul not have to worry about dropping a Ztr if a temporary ramp slipped. So, I found a solution and designed a ram for my trailer and now I am operating from an enclosed. Here are some pics of the ramp. I will post some more detailed and up close shots tomorrow or Sunday.

hosejockey2002
09-09-2006, 01:39 AM
That looks like a really good bit of fabrication. I'm wondering, though, why you didn't just buy a trailer with a ramp door instead of barn doors.

Total.Lawn.Care
09-09-2006, 01:54 AM
That looks like a really good bit of fabrication. I'm wondering, though, why you didn't just buy a trailer with a ramp door instead of barn doors.

I already had this trailer from about 5-6 years ago when I piddled in General Contacting, Handyman work. Never got enough steady business to make a job out of it. Trailer was sitting in the yard being used as tool storage. So, I made better use of it and I am glad that I did.... One of the best decisions I have made...

grass_cuttin_fool
09-09-2006, 09:02 AM
That looks pretty good. Just curious, how come you used wood for a ramp instead of expanded metal? Also if you could incorporate a gate helper(gorilla lift) or something, that will save your back in the long run. But from what I see it looks good. I have seen good deals on trailers with rear doors at times, seems everyone wants a trailer with a ramp on it.

wayne

ed2hess
09-09-2006, 07:11 PM
We have the ramp door on our closed trailer and it is almost impossible to lift when the spring breaks. Those torsion springs and shaft cost less than $200 and with your skill you could figure out how to mount it. Good job.

Total.Lawn.Care
09-09-2006, 10:26 PM
That looks pretty good. Just curious, how come you used wood for a ramp instead of expanded metal? Also if you could incorporate a gate helper(gorilla lift) or something, that will save your back in the long run. But from what I see it looks good. I have seen good deals on trailers with rear doors at times, seems everyone wants a trailer with a ramp on it.

wayne

THe biggest reason that I used wood was cost. The expanded metal that I needed woudl have cost me about $65, I got one sheet of 3/4 Ply for $19 and I already had some 3/4 play laying around the house to complete the covering.

It really is not that heavy, but I have thought about putting the spring assits in it, if needed. Right now, it does not really take much effort to lift.

Thanks for the comments. It turned out to be alot more fabrication than I planned on, but now that it is done, I am really proud of it and it is such a time saver to have everything with a place and not have to strap stuff down to an open trailer.

newz7151
09-09-2006, 10:59 PM
Hmm.. I was looking at this and wondering something.. If all you are really loading in the back is that Z, why not just put the wood where the tires track and leave the rest of it open? (with maybe a couple of cross braces for lateral strength) Seems that'd give you more natural light entry (if you ever needed it) when your back gate is up.

Total.Lawn.Care
09-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Hmm.. I was looking at this and wondering something.. If all you are really loading in the back is that Z, why not just put the wood where the tires track and leave the rest of it open? (with maybe a couple of cross braces for lateral strength) Seems that'd give you more natural light entry (if you ever needed it) when your back gate is up.

There is a Walk Behind with a Sulky in front of that Z, so I wanted to full ramp to just drive the Walk Behind up and inside. Good Point though if not for the Walk Behind...

ACutAbovesiny
09-10-2006, 10:56 PM
Looks really good. Way to use the resources you already have.