PDA

View Full Version : Earphones for mowing

dwc
09-09-2006, 12:43 AM
I know there has been a lot of talk about Peltors and other headphones.......I have used Peltors for years and then I found the Sure earphones. The thing I like is they dont go over the ear and get so hot during the summer but they block out as much or more sound than the Peltors. Plus you can use them with an ipod, etc. The sound is amazing! I have the E3c model.
Just thought I would pass on the experience! here is a link: http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/Products/Earphones/ESeries/index.htm

topsites
09-09-2006, 12:47 AM
I use Koss earbuds with a Sony Atrac-3 olympic sports cd player (plays mp3 cd's as well as regular cd's), and the Koss earbuds are made of a foam similar to the foamy earplugs so you really don't need those mickey mouse ears but if you want absolute silence and music enjoyment then put on some mm ears over top. The earbuds cost 20 dollars new and you can order replacement buds from Koss for a few dollars, I've had mine for over 3 years now, the sound is as good as any better full-size stereo out there, we're talking Phylharmonic Orchestra quality.
The Cd player was 80 dollars new and you really have to walk the Toro in 4th gear for about 15 minutes solid before it starts to skip, you will be drenched in sweat and feeling dizzy as darkness encroaches around the edges of your vision if you can make that atrac-3 skip, but it is possible. It's where my saying came from: When you hear the atrac skipping, you're finally working LOL.

As for peltors, ain't no AM/FM radio nonsense ever turned me on for good music, I need my own music and music only.

Only thing about the Koss is you gotta watch that cord, helps to slip it through your shirt so it doesn't dangle, but watch it nevertheless.

captken
09-09-2006, 12:54 AM
Peltor Work Tunes, or whatever.
I bought them for the guys. I have 4 [four] They waste more time tuning in stations while on the job than I like. They tend to zone out...and they are unresponsive when I need them...like right now...I'm paying the bills here....When they break or wear out, I will NOT replace them....Getting in the truck and hearing music playing because they did not turn them off...and expecting ME to buy the batteries....get real...pass on your experience to someone else......

topsites
09-09-2006, 01:02 AM
Actually, it's:

Sony D-NF610 Mp3 Atrac3 Cd Walkman (http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Sony_D_NF610)
The new ones have AM/FM/TV/Weather digital tuners with 51-station preset, full digital display and control board, dude...
Even the old one rocks with heat resistant electronics and it stands up to working flawlessly time after time while it's on my belt...

With the Koss Sparkplugs (http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^eb^SPARKPLUG)

You can't get a better sound.

dwc
09-09-2006, 01:05 AM
Actually, it's:

Sony D-NF610 Mp3 Atrac3 Cd Walkman (http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Sony_D_NF610)
The new one now has FM stereo with 51-station preset, digital display and control board, dude...

With the Koss Sparkplugs (http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^eb^SPARKPLUG)

You can't get a better sound.

those spark plugs look similar to the sure's. As long as they work! :cool2:

I got an ipod shuffle a while back and its nice for mowing, nice and small, fits in my pocket and I have over 120 songs on it!

No Lawncares
09-09-2006, 01:06 AM
I use sony disc like ones and they work fine, without the mp3 player I would hate mowing but with it its great.

grass-scapes
09-09-2006, 07:29 AM
I have had a set of these headphones for over a year now. They are great. I decided not to listen to music while working so I bought one of their headsets. I can answer the phone and even talk, while still mowing. Customers hear me fine, I hear them, and I don't have to stop mowing to answer any questions. I am considering buying the set that has a jack for music and the phone jack as well. I just find it a little harder to mow and listen to music at the same time.

Roger
09-09-2006, 07:42 AM
I have read posts the past few seasons about those having some kind of device, muffs with radio/plug for mp3, ear buds, etc. Last Winter I bought an mp3 player for use when walking (I walk every day for exercise when the mowing season is done). I downloaded great material, and enjoyed it immensely, looking forward to use when the mowing season started. I have used Stihl muffs for sound supression for a long time, and planned to put the ear buds inside.

When the season started, I tried several times to make the process work. I only wanted to use the mp3/muffs during long mowing jobs, e.g. one hour or more. I certainly wasn't intended on dealing with the devices when working with the trimmer, edger, or something other than the w/b or ZTR. Quickly, I learned:
1. The mower/engine sound is too much, and I can hardly hear the sounds from the ear buds.
2. The time to fiddle with the player, cord, getting the buds in place, etc was taking too long -- when I get to a job site, my job is to get to work, get the job done ASAP.
3. Keeping the right files in the que was also taking too much time, at least more time than I wanted.

In short, a failed experiment for me. The hassle of it all, and the quality of audio, just isn't worth it. Yes, I would like to listen to help with the passage of time and not waste all the mental CPU cycles. I guess we all have a different take on the value of our time.

LawnMower
09-09-2006, 09:10 AM
I use Stihl ear muffs to block out most of the mower sound. Then I take little speakers and put them inside the muff's. The speakers are meant to wrap around your ear. I then duck tape a digital walkman as well as the wires to the top of the muffs. The digital walkman is nice, because there's no fiddling around trying to get the station in. The station is either in or not.

Iv had work toons and this set up is much better. If the work toons break you have to buy a new set for $50 bucks. With the Walkman/ muff set up, you only have to buy the piece that wore out or broke.

Ill take pictures of the set up.

ProStreetCamaro
09-09-2006, 09:11 AM
Peltor worktunes suck. They dont block out enough noise and the radio tuner never stays on the correct station. Now on the other hand Elvex hearing protectors work like a champ, keep a tune and block much more noise. I have both so I know what I am talking about. the elvex is more expencive but well worth the money.

John Gamba
09-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Peltor worktunes suck. They dont block out enough noise and the radio tuner never stays on the correct station. Now on the other hand Elvex hearing protectors work like a champ, keep a tune and block much more noise. I have both so I know what I am talking about. the elvex is more expencive but well worth the money.

I'll second this

fiveoboy01
09-09-2006, 03:03 PM
I also have the sure e3c buds. Use them with my ipod.

The sound is great... Worth the 100 bucks, and better in the hot weather IMO. No big ring of sweat around my ears anymore.

walker/redmax
09-09-2006, 04:04 PM
I know there has been a lot of talk about Peltors and other headphones.......I have used Peltors for years and then I found the Sure earphones. The thing I like is they dont go over the ear and get so hot during the summer but they block out as much or more sound than the Peltors. Plus you can use them with an ipod, etc. The sound is amazing! I have the E3c model.
Just thought I would pass on the experience! here is a link: http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/Products/Earphones/ESeries/index.htm
I've been thinking about getting a pair of ear phones like this. When I mow, I just use those foam ear plugs that you get at wal mart for $2 per pack. Will the E3c block out noise as well as something like this? I would assume so but I had to ask before I go spend $200+
Thanks!:drinkup:

WildLake
09-09-2006, 05:15 PM
There are two different model worktunes. One sucks and I like the other, a little heavy though and can get hot. I cant work without tunes.

lawnspecialties
09-09-2006, 05:50 PM

Right now I'm using Bilsom's. Used to use Peltor's. The Bilsom's aren't bad but can't hold a distant station. One of my favorite stations is about 75 miles away and they're just not strong enough. What I need is a digital radio and not this transistor stuff from the 70's.

Which Elvex's do you have? I don't care the cost. You get what you pay for. Also, where did you get your Elvex's? Thanks:)

dwc
09-09-2006, 09:06 PM
I've been thinking about getting a pair of ear phones like this. When I mow, I just use those foam ear plugs that you get at wal mart for $2 per pack. Will the E3c block out noise as well as something like this? I would assume so but I had to ask before I go spend $200+
Thanks!:drinkup:

yes they block out noise really well. I was worried with spending $200 that they wouldnt but I was really impressed. They block far more noise than peltors even.
The Sure's come with foam plugs that the earphones go in so its almost like the plugs you are talking about. The earbud has a tube on it that curves down into your ear then the plug blocks out the noise.

Dunn's
09-09-2006, 09:20 PM
We but some AOsafety work tunes at home depot the other day and are thinking about taking them back but we are gonna give them a little more time than just one day. The stations kept changing throughout the day on which ones would come in best and the batteries ran out in less than eight hours and they are rechargeable energizers.where do you get these other work tunes brands you are talking about.

fiveoboy01
09-09-2006, 09:21 PM
yes they block out noise really well. I was worried with spending $200 that they wouldnt but I was really impressed. They block far more noise than peltors even.
The Sure's come with foam plugs that the earphones go in so its almost like the plugs you are talking about. The earbud has a tube on it that curves down into your ear then the plug blocks out the noise.

I'll second that. They block out noise as good as any earmuffs.

Mine were only a hundred though. Mabye mine are a little different model than the ones you were talking about.

hdtvluvr
09-09-2006, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=where do you get these other work tunes brands you are talking about.[/QUOTE]

http://www.elvex.com/Com-75.htm

lawncuttinfoo
09-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Try: http://www.racequiet.com/ $40

The foam inserts they come with are too small and do not isolate outside sound enough but order a few replacement ones,$5 they are bigger and have more isolation than the plastic white ones someone posted about in thier "homemade ear buds" thread.

In the begining I too would only use them on long jobs, but now I use a shirt clip (from the hands free plug off my w600i walkman phone) and throw the excess cord under my shirt and when I'm not using them ( driving between jobs) they dangle infront of me just like regular ear plugs.

LwnmwrMan22
09-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Here's what you do....

I bought a set of the Shure headphones.

They have a "prong" on them, but it isn't quite long enough.

You buy about 3" of 3/16" flexible plastic tubing, the clear kind, and it'll fit snug over the prongs.

Take the little foam ear plugs that you can roll up and stick in your ear, and they expand out.

Find something that will make a hole all the way through the earplug and then insert your Shure headphone into the foam earplug.

Now you're at a 22dB rating, or 29, or whatever type of earplug you buy, they're completely renewable, and you can hear the radio, with digital tuner, as clear as a bell, quietly.

If you'd like to see a picture of the setup, let me know.

Roger
09-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Wow ... many of you have much greater patience to fiddle with this stuff than I did!

(see post #8)

captain2morrow
09-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Here's what you do....

I bought a set of the Shure headphones.

They have a "prong" on them, but it isn't quite long enough.

You buy about 3" of 3/16" flexible plastic tubing, the clear kind, and it'll fit snug over the prongs.

Take the little foam ear plugs that you can roll up and stick in your ear, and they expand out.

Find something that will make a hole all the way through the earplug and then insert your Shure headphone into the foam earplug.

Now you're at a 22dB rating, or 29, or whatever type of earplug you buy, they're completely renewable, and you can hear the radio, with digital tuner, as clear as a bell, quietly.

If you'd like to see a picture of the setup, let me know.

Yeah - I'd like to see that setup!

nt1
09-09-2006, 11:59 PM
Right now I'm using Bilsom's. Used to use Peltor's. The Bilsom's aren't bad but can't hold a distant station. One of my favorite stations is about 75 miles away and they're just not strong enough. What I need is a digital radio and not this transistor stuff from the 70's.

Which Elvex's do you have? I don't care the cost. You get what you pay for. Also, where did you get your Elvex's? Thanks:)

A digital radio tuner would be nice, maybe with programmable preset stations.
I've been using peltors for a few years and they are just "fair to ok".

Dunn's
09-10-2006, 12:47 AM
I think that peltor brand you guys are talking about is the exact same thing as we bought but they say they are AOSAFETY probably just sold the to them and let them put their name on it. Sounds like how the lawnmowers are getting.(I.E.) mtd,simplicity they will own all of them soon.

DEEJ
09-10-2006, 01:03 AM
A&O Safety is Peltor.

The Peltor Worktunes of today are mostly the Worktunes-22, with a NRR of 22 dB. A few years ago you got mostly the Worktunes-25. Not sure why they are promoting the lesser noise reduction.

You must remember that excellent quality sound in earbuds does not mean they offer any hearing protection at all - they just have good sound. The spec sheet on the Shure ones do not quote ANY protection specs that I could see? Do they offer protection at all? Personally hearing protection is my number one concern, then comes good music - not the other way around.

I use the Worktunes of just a few years ago, the Worktunes-25. We have a few pairs and they have no problem staying on station at all. We listen exclusively to FM - maybe the AM portion is bad - can't say. FM works perfectly, provides great sound, and the batteries last for weeks. We use them every day.

www.aearo.com or www.peltor.com

Peltor does indeed offer a digital tuner for those of you willing to pay for it. There is an upscale set of Worktunes with a digital tuner and also an input jack for other digital devices. A search here on Lawnsite will reveal the model. A few guys here used to swear by the digital tuner Peltors. And I hate to say, but digital is nothing but transistors - just more of them packed in smaller packages!!!

leafitalawn
09-10-2006, 02:03 AM
I just wore out my e3c's... It seems after much sweat and heat, the cables dry out and deteriorate. I have replaced them with the sure e2c's and they are every bit as good. Trust me, and I'm a studio owner and a musician... They will also cost you much less. Best deals can be found on ebay. You'll spend less than $75. Also, the foam tips work the best with either choice.

LwnmwrMan22
09-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Okay, here's what I did with my Shures.....

Sorry about the picture quality, I took these with the camera phone so I could do this quicker.

It's good enough so you can get the idea anyways.

Here's the plastic tube that I insert the earbud into....

LwnmwrMan22
09-10-2006, 09:56 AM
I then take a little foam earplug, the type that you can buy 200 pairs for $20 - $30 and put a hole all the way through.

I do fertilizing as well, so I've found that my soil temp guage works perfect for this, I've also used the inside of a ball point pen, the cartridge that holds the ink, but that plastic is somewhat flimsy.

Anyways, so the plug looks like this....

LwnmwrMan22
09-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Finished product looks like this...

Roger made a note about how he doesn't want to fiddle faddle with the radio all day.

I've got one that clips onto my waist and or belt, and then I just run the headphones up inside my shirt, so they don't get caught on trees or equipment, and just let them dangle out the front of my neck when I'm not listening to them.

I've just got a cheap AM/FM radio that I listen to, but this'll work with any mp3, CD, radio whatever you want to listen to. I've got stations that I listen to preset, so I don't even have to look at it to change the station.

Now just roll the earplug up like you normally would, remember it won't go quite as small since you've got the plastic tube in there, but it'll certainly still fit in the ear canal, and then it expands out, and wha-la, you've got as good of hearing protection that you can buy (however much you want) and crystal clear radio (or mp3) that you don't have to crank in order to hear it over the radio.

Plus, the foam earplug doesn't want to slip off that plastic tube, so it'll stay on there as long as you'd like, until they get to dirty and you just put a new pair on (about 1-2 weeks).

grass-scapes
09-10-2006, 04:36 PM
You must remember that excellent quality sound in earbuds does not mean they offer any hearing protection at all - they just have good sound. The spec sheet on the Shure ones do not quote ANY protection specs that I could see? Do they offer protection at all? Personally hearing protection is my number one concern, then comes good music - not the other way around.

I own a set and before I purchased them, I checked the NRR and it was in the range of 22 db. I can't find the specs now on their website, but trust me, they work better than those foam earplugs before you even plug anything into them.

twj721
09-10-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro

I'll second this
I only can say I HAD a set of work tunes till it fianal got the best of me and keep losing the station that I wanted and keep trying to play a Mexian station after stopping for the 3rd time of trying to retune it to my rock station I had a fit of rage and pulled them off and beat the crap out of them on my weedeater then throwed them as from from me as I could and walked on away not looking back Peltors work tunes are garabage in my book worse 65.00 dollars I spent . Twj

gaither
09-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Has anyone tried these?

http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/

Dunn's
09-10-2006, 11:44 PM
I came up with an idea today and it works great first I bought a pair of AO safety earmuffs for $20.00 dollars then I bought a $30.00 dollar sony walkman digital am/fm radio with tv and weather band(this could come in handy). i also bought a pair of earbud headphones for $10.00 total cost $60 and works 100 times better than those worktunes we bought guess what home depot where back returning something else, we know weknow but if you would stop stockking things that are crap or put a little warning label on it explaining in advance that this product is junk. It would save us all alot of trouble. so anyways I am going to tape or velcro the walkman to the earmuffs then tape the wire along there earmuffs. insert the headphone buds in ear slide ear muffs over and wala you have your self a homemade worktunes that is way better and just a little more money with more options. sounds ten times louder and quiter at the same time it is great. hope this helps anyone.

nt1
09-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Has anyone tried these?

http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/

Good question. A little bit pricey, but they do have digital tuner and presets.

grapeford
09-11-2006, 09:30 PM
I've been using the rechargeable Elvex muffs for years. Couldn't imagine mowing without them.

John Gamba
09-12-2006, 06:26 AM
I've been using the rechargeable Elvex muffs for years. Couldn't imagine mowing without them.

Same here:headphones:

Critical Care
09-12-2006, 11:49 AM
In radio jargon, the ability to tune in stations (differentiate between one and another) is called “selectivity”, and my Peltors pretty well fail on providing good selectivity. If you live in an area where stations are fairly close on the dial, then you’ll likely have a tough time “selecting” one.

“Sensitivity” is the radio’s ability to pick up weak stations, and again, the Peltors do a lousy job.

And, with the AM radio, Peltors do not use good filtering with spark plug noise.

I have a pair of Peltors with the Husqvarna name and logo on them - as if I really care about that. Those new Husqvarna’s seem to be improved, but I wonder who actually makes them.

The idea of incorporating stereo radios into hearing protection is great, but it’s too bad that companies go way too cheap by using “dime a dozen” radios. Because of this, I have my reservations about the new Husqvarnas out there. I’d like to go with the in-ear plugs, but in-ear plugs tend to work loose with me, and the cord is bothersome as it tends to catch on my shirt whenever I look up or turn my head.

John Gamba
09-12-2006, 12:12 PM
In radio jargon, the ability to tune in stations (differentiate between one and another) is called “selectivity”, and my Peltors pretty well fail on providing good selectivity. If you live in an area where stations are fairly close on the dial, then you’ll likely have a tough time “selecting” one.

“Sensitivity” is the radio’s ability to pick up weak stations, and again, the Peltors do a lousy job.

And, with the AM radio, Peltors do not use good filtering with spark plug noise.

I have a pair of Peltors with the Husqvarna name and logo on them - as if I really care about that. Those new Husqvarna’s seem to be improved, but I wonder who actually makes them.

The idea of incorporating stereo radios into hearing protection is great, but it’s too bad that companies go way too cheap by using “dime a dozen” radios. Because of this, I have my reservations about the new Husqvarnas out there. I’d like to go with the in-ear plugs, but in-ear plugs tend to work loose with me, and the cord is bothersome as it tends to catch on my shirt whenever I look up or turn my head.

The ones without the antennas are garbage.

corey4671
09-12-2006, 11:47 PM
OK..I know this is unconventional, but I am a race fan. The two links below are for products that I use at the races..namely BRISTOL...undoubtedly the LOUDEST track you'll ever visit. Check out the ear buds used in conjuction with the muffs. Work like a charm!
http://www.raceceiver.com/store_v2/?id=5
http://www.raceceiver.com/store_v2/?id=4

Rons Rightway Lawncare
09-13-2006, 12:36 AM
I use Peltors, and my only problem with them it yes they are hot to wear in the summer! I almost never have to fine tune mine it holds stations perfectly, and it picks up all the area stations, and it lasts forever on two AA batteries.

I am in bushes and getting wacked in the head by treelimbs while mowing, and I am just running around so crazylike I can't wear something with cords hanging out of it.... My Peltors look like they have been to war and back yet they still work. Matter of fact the battery tray broke off and I got a piece of duct tape holding the batteries in, been holding all summer! Ear cushions are a little ripped and I am about ready to buy a new set. I have had my set for 3 seasons now.

I hang my peltors on the shaft of my weedeater in between lawns to let them air out. One day I grabbed them and put them on and felt a weird something on my ear a few minutes into mowing this lawn. I took off the headphones and a huge stink bug was in the headset! Yikes! I check them now to make sure no critters in there before putting them on

Daner
09-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Yee Haa...I just ordered a set Of Elvex Quie-Tunes.
We will be a swingen now.

Critical Care
09-13-2006, 11:48 AM
The ones without the antennas are garbage.
And the ones with antennas… Mine have the external FM antenna.

I took off the headphones and a huge stink bug was in the headset! …
Better than putting on your Peltors with a hornet buzzing around in your ear, eh?

You say to yourself “Hmm, I wonder why these Peltors are buzzing?”
Your client, a little grey haired elderly lady, watches you as you suddenly scream out loud and begin an unusual war dance. She shakes her head as she waddles back into her house, “I wish these crazy kids would work more and stop dancing around to their rock and roll music!”

lawncuttinfoo
09-20-2006, 11:11 AM
OK..I know this is unconventional, but I am a race fan. The two links below are for products that I use at the races..namely BRISTOL...undoubtedly the LOUDEST track you'll ever visit. Check out the ear buds used in conjuction with the muffs. Work like a charm!
http://www.raceceiver.com/store_v2/?id=5
http://www.raceceiver.com/store_v2/?id=4

Quote from website
"Noise cancelling foam..."

lol

I'll stick with my racequiet

Stillwater
09-21-2006, 03:06 AM

Bose Noise Canceling Head Phones consider nothing else. They are expensive but worth every dollar.

lawncuttinfoo
09-27-2006, 12:32 AM
"no Hi's, no Low's it's gota be Bose"

Got that from a music production teacher I had.

Bose/TruGreen the greatest marketing combined with the worst quality still = valuable company

Josh.S
09-27-2006, 01:05 AM
Right now I just have my Stihl headsets, and I have my earbuds for my phone pushed up under than.. My cell has an MP3 player on it, and I put a 1GB card in it, which is plenty for music. I am planning on buying one of those clips for your waist, breaking the belt attachment off, and getting double sided adhesive putting it onto the mower so I can clip in my cellphone.

If I do that and then order the coss sparkplus like the one guy ealier mentioned, I think it would be sweet because I could have good quality, no sweat .. i can tell if somebody is calling me because the music will cut out, and I will have it on the mower when mowing big lots, and then unclip it and put it in my regular waiste clip when trimming

Plus I don't think the chicks dig my bulky orange Stihl earmuf things..;)

topsites, how well does the koss earbuds blog out the sound? they look like they would work really well, because im not paying no $200 bucks for e3c things... My cell phone doesn't seem to play music very loud, or maybe its just because most of the time I'm mowing... but I don't want absolute silence, because I would like to hear when my mower is bogging..

For anyone who cares, I found the Shure e3c on ebay for the low $120's after shipping...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Shure-E3G-E3C-Sound-Isolating-Black-Headphones-NEW_W0QQitemZ160034425713QQihZ006QQcategoryZ40138QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Josh.S
09-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Here is what I was referring to for the phone clip that I want to mount on the gas tank..

http://cache.vzw.com/images_b2c/accessories/lg/lg_8300_holster.jpg

and i already bought an adapter that goes from 3/32 (mini phone jack) to 1/8 (regular headset jack)

John Gamba
09-27-2006, 06:24 AM
Here is what I was referring to for the phone clip that I want to mount on the gas tank..

http://cache.vzw.com/images_b2c/accessories/lg/lg_8300_holster.jpg

and i already bought an adapter that goes from 3/32 (mini phone jack) to 1/8 (regular headset jack)

It will vibrate it to death, take my word on this:cry:

WJW Lawn
09-27-2006, 08:08 AM
I just won the Elvex Quie tunes from Power Equipment warehouse...those things are the bomb!!! Make the day fly right on by

Josh.S
09-27-2006, 08:17 AM
It will vibrate it to death, take my word on this:cry:

I never thought of that... dang...

John Gamba
09-27-2006, 08:42 AM
I never thought of that... dang...

Give it a shot, just watch it.

Josh.S
09-28-2006, 12:28 AM
well I ordered a pair of the Koss Sparkplugs today.. hope they work well... cost 22.50 after shipping, but it should be worth it considering the amount of time I spend mowing.

corey4671
11-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Hey Guys..Picked up a Motorola Sliver last week. LOVE IT! It has ITUNES so I can load it up with my music, run the headphones up through my shirt and throw a cheap pair of shooter's muffs on over the earbuds and mow to my heart's content! The Sliver is small enough to fit in your pocket and the best part is if a customer calls, you never miss the call cause it rings over the music. You can take the call and then pick right back up where you left off in the music! Check it out!

Josh.S
11-15-2006, 11:25 PM
Hey Guys..Picked up a Motorola Sliver last week. LOVE IT! It has ITUNES so I can load it up with my music, run the headphones up through my shirt and throw a cheap pair of shooter's muffs on over the earbuds and mow to my heart's content! The Sliver is small enough to fit in your pocket and the best part is if a customer calls, you never miss the call cause it rings over the music. You can take the call and then pick right back up where you left off in the music! Check it out!

I basically have the same setup with my LG VX8300, I have a 1GB stick in it and put music on it from my computer.... I use Koss Sparkplugs so I don't have to wear the muff's... Its pretty nice except I would like to try sony's line of noise canceling earbuds...

jcltyson
11-15-2006, 11:51 PM
If you are serious about ear protection / entertainment will going thru our mondane tasks you may want to look at the MSA Sorden Pro FM III (featured in Turf magazine abouit a month ago). A bit pricey ($115) but they really work. I got a pair near the end of the season and so far they are great. Muffels engine/deck noise enough to not be harmful yet keeps you apprised of whats going on sound wise. The FM radio uses three buttons. One to scan upward, one to scan downward, and one that changes the volume, for you to select from three levels for the radio. Site is csuk.us. They are out of Florida.

Josh.S
11-16-2006, 12:03 AM
I personally don't like the earover headsets, they are just to hot in the summer, and the chicks don't exactly dig them either :laugh: (not like they would like a lawn boy anyhow)... I would like to find some good noise canceling earbuds for around or under $100..

I was reading up on the sony's and the reviews said that they weren't very good if you were moving because something about if you bump the wire it throws it off and you can hear it through the buds... and they way I drive my dixie I get thrown ALL OVER....

LawnBrother
11-16-2006, 12:25 AM
I bought the shure e2cs after the recommendation of someone on here and I LOVE them! Talk about making the day go by easier! They are very adequate for noise reduction also. That was my main concern. With the music off the Shures are almost as good as regular foam earplugs. With the equipment running I can listen to music at low volumes and no worries of damaging my hearing.

LwnmwrMan22
11-16-2006, 01:19 AM
I bought the shure e2cs after the recommendation of someone on here and I LOVE them! Talk about making the day go by easier! They are very adequate for noise reduction also. That was my main concern. With the music off the Shures are almost as good as regular foam earplugs. With the equipment running I can listen to music at low volumes and no worries of damaging my hearing.

Again, go with the shures. Yes, they are spendy, but when you can use them with the foam insert earplug, that's replacable with a 3/16" plasctic tube extension, it's absolutely the ideal setup for mp3. talk radio, am, fm, cd, whatever it is that you're going to listen to.

grass-scapes
11-16-2006, 09:18 AM
Again, go with the shures. Yes, they are spendy, but when you can use them with the foam insert earplug, that's replacable with a 3/16" plasctic tube extension, it's absolutely the ideal setup for mp3. talk radio, am, fm, cd, whatever it is that you're going to listen to.

I recommended these things over a year ago. Ive had mine for longer than that. I stopped using them because of wanting to answer phone and I use nextel. NOW, they have a combination headphone/earpiece that I can connect both a radio and the phone. I have the shure headset now and I can talk to people while mowing and they never know (unless its very windy).

cborden
11-16-2006, 10:11 AM
What I would like to find is a product that combines AM/FM, iPod, hearing protection and push to talk communication capability. Most of my commercial accounts are rather large and the guys can get spread out over the property. If we had a device with all the capabilities I've listed, everyone would be happy and if something happened or someone needed help communication would not be an issue. We all carry Nextels, but with a radio/hearing protection and the noise of the mowers, it's hard to hear the Nextel Beep.

gandk06
11-16-2006, 11:22 AM
I was at farm and fleet the other week and saw what I think is a new product from A&O safety. It is called an i3. There are the big muffs with a port for an mp3 or any other device. I think the cost was $52. I am planning on trying these for next year.

LawnBrother
11-16-2006, 12:21 PM
I just don't know how people wear those huge earmuffs, they get so sweaty and they're just...HUGE.

gandk06
11-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Not a big fan of them either. But when the choice is between ringing ears or looking like a dork I will take looking like the dork.

Josh.S
11-16-2006, 05:25 PM
I recommended these things over a year ago. Ive had mine for longer than that. I stopped using them because of wanting to answer phone and I use nextel. NOW, they have a combination headphone/earpiece that I can connect both a radio and the phone. I have the shure headset now and I can talk to people while mowing and they never know (unless its very windy).

Do you have these : http://shure.com/PersonalAudio/Products/Earphones/ISeries/us_pa_i2c_content

So with those I can be riding my dixie chopper and talking on my cellphone at the same time, and then I can switch back to music when the convo's over? sounds cool! :laugh:

EDIT: pasted wrong link...

Also, here it is on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Shure-i2c-Isolating-Earphones_W0QQitemZ250047933503QQihZ015QQcategoryZ111693QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Does anybody know how many Decibles a Kohler or a regular engine mower puts out, because thats how they rate the blocking noise of these ....

Gatewayuser
11-16-2006, 11:42 PM
Peltor Work Tunes, or whatever.
I bought them for the guys. I have 4 [four] They waste more time tuning in stations while on the job than I like. They tend to zone out...and they are unresponsive when I need them...like right now...I'm paying the bills here....When they break or wear out, I will NOT replace them....Getting in the truck and hearing music playing because they did not turn them off...and expecting ME to buy the batteries....get real...pass on your experience to someone else......

Amen, been there done that and won't again. I have found workers get flighty with music headphones when I made the switch to the $7 no music headphones the quality went up a whole lot.