PDA

View Full Version : A Regulation That Could Keep You From Mowing

Critical Care
09-09-2006, 12:25 PM
I have a neighbor that works for the state forestry department and who keeps a brush firefighting engine on his property. Apparently he has the boring job of driving his thing around looking for problems, and from talking to his wife I was told that there is a regulation out here, that he could enforce, that could keep people from operating combustion engines after 11:00 am.

“I never heard of such a thing” I told her, but she made the point that typically there isn’t a problem until someone is out running equipment in a place like a dry field. And not only that, but if some guy is mowing his lawn next door to a guy weedeating down his dry knee-high weeds, they both will be told to stop.

Have any of you heard of anything like this?

stumper1620
09-09-2006, 01:06 PM
I have a neighbor that works for the state forestry department and who keeps a brush firefighting engine on his property. Apparently he has the boring job of driving his thing around looking for problems, and from talking to his wife I was told that there is a regulation out here, that he could enforce, that could keep people from operating combustion engines after 11:00 am.

“I never heard of such a thing” I told her, but she made the point that typically there isn’t a problem until someone is out running equipment in a place like a dry field. And not only that, but if some guy is mowing his lawn next door to a guy weedeating down his dry knee-high weeds, they both will be told to stop.

Have any of you heard of anything like this?
Under RED flag conditions it would'nt surprise me.

ChadsLawn
09-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Thank "mother nature" we dont have that problem down here.

ECS
09-09-2006, 03:36 PM
I would be suprised if anyone who is contracted out for the state forest division would have any athority over what is being done on private property. The fact that he is using his own truck tells me he is just contracted out during the fire season.

Critical Care
09-10-2006, 12:31 PM
I would be suprised if anyone who is contracted out for the state forest division would have any athority over what is being done on private property. The fact that he is using his own truck tells me he is just contracted out during the fire season.

No, the fire fighting "brush truck" is a state vehicle, complete with the red lights, siren, and emblem on the side. But yeah, I was still thinking the same thing about what authority this guy would have.

I noticed something on the Internet that defined what the forest land was, and it wasn't just state property, but adjoining similar land as well. So, if that's the case, then it could be that the forestry department could stop you from burning down the forest with your weedeater even on your own land. Ugh!

If you live nextdoor to a state or federal forest, the eye in the sky could be watching you.

hosejockey2002
09-10-2006, 12:44 PM
The forestry guys don't enact such restrictions on power equipment usage because they enjoy telling you what you can do on your private property. They do it because right now in your area fuel moistures are at historical lows. Fuel moistures in the morning are higher, so that's why the 11:00 AM restriction. Now, if you are just mowing an irrigated lawn in town, common sense I'm sure will prevail and no one will bother you. But if you're brushhogging a dry field a 3 in the afternoon on a windy day then you're an idiot.:hammerhead: If your blade were to hit a rock or other debris a fire could easily be started. If you start a fire because of your negligence and the fire escapes your property, you can be held liable for suppression costs. If the fire grows large, these costs can easily run in the millions.

jsf343
09-10-2006, 05:46 PM
Hey CC (fellow Oregonian) I can only see it happening in this crazy state.
some of the goofy rules, and laws here have no hint of common sense including that one if it is true. Not surprised to hear about something like that at all. Be glad your not on this side of the cascades! Lunacy runs amuk!(sp?)

Armadillolawncare
09-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Aren't cars combustion engines?;)

Critical Care
09-10-2006, 11:08 PM
Aren't cars combustion engines?;)

Sure, at least most are, and there have been a number of fires started by hot catalytic converters. By far, most fires out here have been started by lightning or arson.

Here is another thing that happened to a crew that was working in one of the private forested subdivisions near here. They were stopped because their weedeaters didn’t have fire screens on them. I guess you wouldn’t want a spark to catch the 13’th fairway on fire, would you?

The Captain
09-11-2006, 12:18 AM
I have to agree with hosejockey2002. This is just common sense when fire dangers are high.

The Captain

MOW ED
09-11-2006, 07:08 AM
Some people just don't like to be "told" what to do by anyone. It is usually ironic that these are the same people that want the fire department to save their house after they start the field on fire and its coming close. Even more ironic is that WE TRY.
You don't have to go far to see good examples of no common sense. I agree that the forestry service is not out to stop commerce by taking your mower away and they have good reason for their action. Beside that I wouldn't want to be the one who thru an accident started a fire that hurt or killed someone or even made someone lose their property. Its an accident before you are made aware of it. Afterwards it could be a crime. Stay safe, you will have plenty of work.

MarcSmith
09-11-2006, 08:03 AM
pobbaly the biggest reason is some equipment doee not have spark arrestors on them.

stumper1620
09-11-2006, 12:42 PM
these are reason enough for me, if you would like to pay the cost, feel free.

Level 5 preparedness, this means our fire fighting resources are stretched thin and we are bringing in outside help.

http://www.nifc.gov/fireinfo/pl_desc.html

I would say these numbers are reason enough.
Gee, imagine that, the most expensive fires are; Washington, Idaho, Oregon & Montana

http://www.nifc.gov/stats/suppression_costs.html
http://www.nifc.gov/nicc/sitreprt.pdf

Opp's forgot My pic.

MarcSmith
09-11-2006, 01:44 PM
Iremember doing some edging in florida with a stick edger and it was kinda dry, but not sahara desert dry, and just the sparking of the edger on the concrete was enough to set some dried st augustine smoldering...

Critical Care
09-12-2006, 03:00 AM
Hmm… smoked St. Augustine? Reminds me, a guy working with me almost caught some bark on fire from being careless with a cigarette. Not good!!!

Several years ago I couldn’t get to one client’s place because of a bad forest fire. The fire burnt two or three homes down to the ground and threatened a whole lot more, and was close enough to my clients place that when I finally did get in I had to pick up burnt wood shakes and shingles out of the lawn.

Interesting info, Stumper. The info that you show has the Cascade Crest Complex up to 19.6 million dollars. Getting up there into some big bucks. And this bad boy is responsible for our smoky days.

MarcSmith
09-12-2006, 07:36 AM
around campus durring the summer I get called on quite a few "mulch" fires. Ie cig butts tossed in the beds.