PDA

View Full Version : STARTING RedMax equipment?

Envy Lawn Service
09-09-2006, 01:40 PM
I just wanted to check with RedMax owners and make sure I'm not doing something wrong with these demos. The first one I tried (2300) started OK, but it was not Strato-Charged. The second one (2600) started out bad, which I figured would improve with break-in, but it's only gotten much-much worse.

Basically, I just flip the start switch in position, prime it, choke it and pull, and this was the starting instruction I was given.

The 2600 started at hard to start, to really hard to start in the morning and 6 pulls on average thereafter... to now it does that crap where you yank and yank, then it like hits immediately like one fire of the plug and dies immediately. What a real PAIN!

I had planned to go back to the dealer, give him field feedback and buy either a 2401 or a 3000. And I had been feeling pretty comfortable about that since other folks don't seem to have the same starting problems. I figured it was just the 2600, just this unit not quite right, or something I'm doing wrong.

But as bad as the 2600 was at the end of this week, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't feeling uneasy now. But I really do want to give this dealer my business too. I'm almost to the point of just telling him the truthful field report, which he will get either way, buying myself a 104+ bump head, some other items and being on my way.

Is it the way I'm trying to start it?
Is it just this unit?
Is it typical of the 2600?
Is it typical of the strato-charge engines?
What?

Anyways, I need to figure this out and get back over to the dealer already.
Should have really went and done it today... but...

carlsmower
09-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Are you holding the throttle wide open when trying to start unit??
Seems to help on strato charged

Envy Lawn Service
09-09-2006, 02:21 PM

No, but I'll try that by setting the throttle lock maybe.

I know Stihl has a start throttle position and I thought about doing this, but just assumed it would not work since the engines will not accept any throttle without dying until it warms up.

But still I'll try it... THANKS.

pugs
09-09-2006, 02:21 PM
I am no expert on Redmax but it would sound like something with that particular unit. I assume you are not a newb to the world of 2 cycle power equipment.

When you do get it started does it have good power and run/idle fine?

Holding the throttle open will help with starting just about any small 2 cycle engine...besides the ones they make it impossible to do so on...

JKOOPERS
09-09-2006, 02:22 PM
al of my redmax trimmers start on the first or second pull . the strato usually on the second .

thats what i do on all of them

jt5019
09-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Prime twice,choke, pull, pull again, let it warm up for about 30 seconds and im off... two year old bcz 2600 strato

walker/redmax
09-09-2006, 02:49 PM
I have no problems with my 3000 starting. It takes 45sec. to warm up but never any trouble actually starting. Sounds like there is a problem with that unit.:waving:

WJW Lawn
09-09-2006, 03:12 PM
I own a 2600...only had a little problem when I first got it during the break-in period. I usually crank the throttle though and get it on the 2nd or 3rd pull--which I dont mind cause of love that thing. Sounds like a faulty unit--thank God for the 2 year warranty huh...take it back

Envy Lawn Service
09-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Well I want to believe it's something wrong with just this ONE unit.
Guess I'll be kicking myself in the butt if it's not and I buy a 2401 or 3000.

WJW Lawn
09-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Well I want to believe it's something wrong with just this ONE unit.
Guess I'll be kicking myself in the butt if it's not and I buy a 2401 or 3000.

I really think it thats one unit...Ive had nothing but great results from Red Max trimmers.

mkwl
09-09-2006, 07:44 PM
I'd say it's just that unit...I've had noting but excellent performance from my Red Max equipment (BCZ2600S, EB7001, CHT2200), they all start on the first or second pull, even when cold! Red Max is by far the best 2-cycle equipment out there IMO!!!:weightlifter: :cool2:

David W
09-09-2006, 08:36 PM
Just purchased another 2600 yesterday morning. :) Runs perfectly like the rest of my Red Max equip.

Prime 2-3 times, choke 1-pull, pull again and let warm for 5-10 seconds if cold and I'm off and running.

While on RedMax, I'm looking for a good hedge trimmer. Has anybody here have a RedMax model and if so, how do you like it?

Uranus
09-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Grab a handfull of throtle after priming it and give it a couple of pulls. Thats the only way I've started redmax trimmers for the past 5 years. They start every time, when you get to 5 or more pulls change the plug. Personaly all 2-cycle equipment it throw away. 2 or 3 years and done. Just parts.

mkwl
09-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Just purchased another 2600 yesterday morning. :) Runs perfectly like the rest of my Red Max equip.

Prime 2-3 times, choke 1-pull, pull again and let warm for 5-10 seconds if cold and I'm off and running.

While on RedMax, I'm looking for a good hedge trimmer. Has anybody here have a RedMax model and if so, how do you like it?

I just bought a Red Max CHT2200 hedge trimmer a few weeks ago from my dealer, and LOVE it! It's 22.5cc's, pure 2 cycle, with a 22" double sided cutting bar. I got mine for $290 out the door. It's got plenty of power, runs and cuts really smooth, and is built really well! It's SOOOO much faster than my old electric Craftsman hedge trimmer! I used mine for about 20 hours so far (a lot of hedge trimming jobs), and I have found it to be the perfect model for me! It's commercial grade, but small enough to be really precise and nimble, and light weight, so I don't really get tired from using it! I'd highly recommend the Red Max CHT2200 hedge trimmer! :cool2: :weightlifter:

Howie's Lawn Care
09-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Man, my shindaiwa stuff starts like like nothing. My edger and trimmer both started first pull friday and today, I swear. The backpack blower almost ALWAYS starts on the second pull, but it actually starts first pull once in awhile and I'm talking about after not being ran for a day or two. I'm just very impressed with how easy this stuff starts. I also love the speed feed head. So...what was the deal about Redmax?

r.eckley
09-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Basicly all REDMAX changed from STHIL for the simple reason REDMAX starts much better than any Sthil equip. i have had. Try another unit maybe its just one with a problem. Usually i get the bad stuff, must have made a mistake and sent it to you

Envy Lawn Service
09-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Basicly all REDMAX changed from STHIL for the simple reason REDMAX starts much better than any Sthil equip. i have had. Try another unit maybe its just one with a problem. Usually i get the bad stuff, must have made a mistake and sent it to you

Well, that's the really just the thing....

I started running Stihl stuff in the 2003 season and I have NEVER had a starting problem with it. Not unless something needed repair. One or two pulls and I'm gone.

With that said, it's destressing to me to deal with this. Especially when this stuff is supposed to start so well. But I think you guys have convinced me it is just this unit.

David W
09-11-2006, 06:53 AM
I just bought a Red Max CHT2200 hedge trimmer a few weeks ago from my dealer, and LOVE it! It's 22.5cc's, pure 2 cycle, with a 22" double sided cutting bar. I got mine for $290 out the door. It's got plenty of power, runs and cuts really smooth, and is built really well! It's SOOOO much faster than my old electric Craftsman hedge trimmer! I used mine for about 20 hours so far (a lot of hedge trimming jobs), and I have found it to be the perfect model for me! It's commercial grade, but small enough to be really precise and nimble, and light weight, so I don't really get tired from using it! I'd highly recommend the Red Max CHT2200 hedge trimmer! :cool2: :weightlifter:

GOOD DEAL. Thanks a lot for the info.

Envy Lawn Service
09-23-2006, 01:40 AM
Well, just to update....

I did end up going back and buying a RedMax. I also ended up Getting a 2600S although that was NOT what I had intended to do. As I said before, I had decided to get either a 2401S or a 3000S. After checking the specs I was really leaning hard towards the 3000S... same weight, more power is how I saw it. But I wanted to see them visually for a few reasons first.

Anyways, the dealer did not have the 2401S in stock. But he did have a 3000S. So I decided on that one until he quoted me a price in the $400's plus tax.

My jaw almost hit the floor and my mouth repeated what my brain was thinking before I could catch myself. There is not one RedMax in the lineup I can justify being worth the price tag. I'm accustomed to paying in the $300's for Stihl FS 85's and they have a much beefier build.

So needless to say, I did not get the 3000S. I ended up just getting a 2600S. I just could not in any way justify paying that much for an alpha test unit. Not based on what I see, feel and know.

The point of all this being... this 2600S is the same now that it's broken in. However, what is different about it is that it does start pretty dang well IF I set the trottle lock on it.

So that is indeed the answer for "how" to start them.
Thanks guys.

P.S. > I'm starting to develop a "peck" coming from this unit, from at or inside the engine. I'm concerned.