PDA

View Full Version : Help with New Paver Project

cwlawley
09-09-2006, 04:29 PM
I have never made a paver patio before, but I am interested in making one for my backyard. I have been reading about it on a couple of threads and I think I have the procedures down, someone give me some reassurance though:

1. Excavate and level ground. Use a plate compactor to compact before laying gravel/sand.
2. 3" Gravel, level and compact
3. 1" Sand, level and compact
4. Install plastic edging around area of patio...where do I get this is Raleigh, NC?
5. Put pavers down, sweep leveling sand into cracks until full.

Anything different or need to be changed? Thanks.

YardPro
09-09-2006, 06:24 PM
DO NOT COMPACT THE SAND.

there is a lot more to it than just the steps you listed....

i'll fill in the gaps.

when you set up the 3" base make sure drainage is correct. Next take a 10 foot steel pipe and roll it along the base. there cannot be more than 3/8" high/low spots. fill/scrape as necessary. This will take the longest amount of time..... DON"T SKIMP this is the most important step.

you can install the edge restraint now if you like

use 3/4 steel pipe (1"od) to screed the sand.

lay pavers, restrain all edges, and cut in THEN run plate tamp over them to set them in the sand bed. make sure your edge restraint is not sitting on top of the sand bed, as this can allow sand to wash out from underneath the edge restraint. the restraint needs to be on the base. Also make sure to use 12" spikes, not the 8-10" that i see some using

next sweep sand in joints, then tamp again..... keep repeating until the joints stop accepting sand.

use poly sand if you can... it is the best insurance against problems you can get... for a mere $30.00/100sqft. there is no reason not to use it.

Lawnworks
09-09-2006, 07:19 PM
I am in the same position... I want to do a paver patio at my house this winter. My suppliers have Simms and Belgard pavers... any difference other than price? I am kind of leary of having curves on my first project, but curves really enhance the look IMO. What is the learning curve on curves? What type saw do you reccomend?

Dirty Water
09-09-2006, 09:14 PM
I am in the same position... I want to do a paver patio at my house this winter. My suppliers have Simms and Belgard pavers... any difference other than price? I am kind of leary of having curves on my first project, but curves really enhance the look IMO. What is the learning curve on curves? What type saw do you reccomend?

Curves are easy, just fill in all the little gaps with cut pieces....

I'm kidding :)

*ducks*

forestfireguy
09-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Before you worry about the base material be sure to lay geotextile filter fabric on the compacted sub base(dirt). Also as far as curves go check the thread on cuts in a soldier bordered walk theres a good picture. You could use a circular saw with a diamond blade to make cuts but would do better to follow the advice in the thread I mentioned or rent a demo saw or wet saw. To add to Yard pros good advice you might want to lay out some pavers before edge retrainst is placed where things aren't curvy to see how your widths play out, I will, whenever possible cheat a little to avoid cuts, depending on what pavers you choose and whether or not you use a soldier course the width you need to avoid cuts varies.

YardPro
09-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Before you worry about the base material be sure to lay geotextile filter fabric on the compacted sub base(dirt). Also as far as curves go check the thread on cuts in a soldier bordered walk theres a good picture. You could use a circular saw with a diamond blade to make cuts but would do better to follow the advice in the thread I mentioned or rent a demo saw or wet saw. To add to Yard pros good advice you might want to lay out some pavers before edge retrainst is placed where things aren't curvy to see how your widths play out, I will, whenever possible cheat a little to avoid cuts, depending on what pavers you choose and whether or not you use a soldier course the width you need to avoid cuts varies.

i agree with the laying out some pavers first to get the curve.

another way to get a smooth curve is to overlay pavers then use a piece of pvc to mark your curve.

if you lay pavers first then edge restraint then you will need to use the trowel to remove the sand at the edge of the paver.

cwlawley
09-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks for all the help. I think I have a better picture of what should be done. Good thing I don't have a lot of excavating to do!