PDA

View Full Version : gate is locked but can be opened?

Eddie B
09-09-2006, 04:01 PM
You arrive at a property and the gate is locked, but you can open it if you pull up on it real hard. Do you open it and cut or leave it locked? Customer is not home.

grandview (2006)
09-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Yes! They will know if it was cut,tell them to leave it unlocked for their cutting day. I have combo lock #'s for some of mine.

traman
09-09-2006, 04:49 PM
what is the norm ? does the customer leave it unlock when you come by,or is the customer always home to unlock it ? if the situation is not the norm i would not open the gate.just cut the front and leave message for customer

Eddie B
09-09-2006, 04:51 PM
what is the norm ? does the customer leave it unlock when you come by,or is the customer always home to unlock it ? if the situation is not the norm i would not open the gate.just cut the front and leave message for customer

Customer is usually home and opens it, but just happened to be out and left it locked

Frontier-Lawn
09-09-2006, 04:58 PM
from my policys page
5) If F.L.L. arrives at the property to provide service, but can not gain access to the property (due to locked gate for example), the customer will be charged a regular fee even though we were unable to service the inaccessible portion of the yard. If we have to come out and service the remaining portion of the yard, additional mow will be charged.

Fantasy Lawns
09-09-2006, 05:10 PM
It's locked but can be opened ...... OPEN it n cut it ... we're in the service industry ... provide a service not a conflict

lawnspecialties
09-09-2006, 05:13 PM
from my policys page

I liked that.

If it's a regular customer, lift it up and go ahead. I'd imagine they'd appreciate it. :)

Frontier-Lawn
09-09-2006, 05:25 PM
i also use to put it the old contracts i cut the lock and bill them for a new one. i just got tired of buying new locks :laugh:

Brendan Smith
09-09-2006, 08:15 PM
i unbolted a chain link fence gate this year to gain access at a regular customer's house. he called me shortly after i finished and said he forgot to unlock the gate and would be home after 12 if i hadn't gotten to him yet, if so, he said he would pay regular rate for my trouble. when he finished talking, i told him no problem, it was done. he asked me how and i told him what i had done. he got real quiet, then said something to the effect of "you mean all this time a thief could have done the same thing? i told him sure, they're only 9/16" carriage bolts. the next time i was there, there were chains everywhere. the gate was chained to the fence, then the two parts of the gate were chained together. he was all proud of it. i didn't have the heart to tell him about the corner posts :laugh: :laugh:

DLCS
09-09-2006, 09:12 PM
i unbolted a chain link fence gate this year to gain access at a regular customer's house. he called me shortly after i finished and said he forgot to unlock the gate and would be home after 12 if i hadn't gotten to him yet, if so, he said he would pay regular rate for my trouble. when he finished talking, i told him no problem, it was done. he asked me how and i told him what i had done. he got real quiet, then said something to the effect of "you mean all this time a thief could have done the same thing? i told him sure, they're only 9/16" carriage bolts. the next time i was there, there were chains everywhere. the gate was chained to the fence, then the two parts of the gate were chained together. he was all proud of it. i didn't have the heart to tell him about the corner posts :laugh: :laugh:

Evidently you didn't tell him that most thieves just climb the fence or use bolt cutters.:laugh:

Precision
09-09-2006, 11:28 PM
I agree with Frontier.

If it is locked then I am not supposed to access it.

AND

all my clients have been told to provide me with a combination or get skipped if they forget. Same thing with animals left in fenced areas. We don't cut, Period.

topsites
09-09-2006, 11:33 PM
You arrive at a property and the gate is locked, but you can open it if you pull up on it real hard. Do you open it and cut or leave it locked? Customer is not home.

Oh hale no, matter of fact I done learned my lesson and that is you always need to check stuff like that first and if it's locked, pack up and leave (yeah so don't start on the front then ooops you find the locked gate, that sux).

If you can call them the day before (I'm beginning to dislike this too) then that is usually ok but watch out for the customer who HAS to be home for you to be able to cut the grass (this is ALWAYS bad news when they HAVE to be there, something is wrong with these people - a gate that they so kindly unlock when you get there is a fair sign of one customer who HAS to be there, fark the whole bunch of people who act like they don't trust me).

Because I used to do it, I used to be real good with that mess, even had bolt cutters and spare locks (with keys) on hand. Cut the old lock, cut the grass, put a new lock on with the key dangling and add $10 to the bill. It worked great.

Until one day...
Lets put it this way: Sooner or later you will get one who will get their panties in a bunch over it and I had this happen and I never got paid! So, policy:
- Always check the gate first! If it's locked, pack up and leave... You are done, no calls, no bill, no nothing.
Also, seriously reconsider your relationship with this customer at this time and when they call you finally, you need to explain the situation and in no uncertain terms let them know there needs to be a solution now to this problem for you can not afford for this to happen again.
Some solutions would be to get you a spare key or give you the combo, but if they don't have a better solution than 'oh but I will be there for sure,' then thank them for their time and hang up.

laxative
09-10-2006, 01:32 AM
Rob the place.

dfor
09-10-2006, 06:08 AM
If I could somehow open the gate without breaking anything, I'd do what I had to do and cut the lawn.

dlm17
09-10-2006, 09:02 AM
if its your account and you are supposed to be there i dont see the problem if you can get in with out destroying anything just do it beats the heck out of a second trip, but from personal exp i have combos or keys for my customers locks

Precision
09-10-2006, 10:22 AM
if its your account and you are supposed to be there i dont see the problem if you can get in with out destroying anything just do it beats the heck out of a second trip, but from personal exp i have combos or keys for my customers locks Screw second trips. They were warned in the contract and verbally. Mow the front and leave a card on the door reminding them to get a combination lock and provide you with the combination so this won't happen again.

I file this under client error and they pay full price and wait to get cut until next trip. Usually I have a very low rate of recurrence.

mojob
09-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Doesn't he know locks only keep honest people out?

indy2tall
09-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Doesn't he know locks only keep honest people out?

The locks are just there to keep innocent people from straying into range of the machine gun nests!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: