PDA

View Full Version : techniques for mowing wet grass

tacoma200
09-09-2006, 07:25 PM
What are some techniques that you use in wet, damp, or lush grass to avoid clumps, windrows, or basically a less than ideal look to the lawn. I know that cutting a second time at say a higher level can help break up clumps, clippings, etc. All these company's coming out with the new decks mainly for this reason and most are having only marginal luck. Lets talk about blade lift, rpm's, cutting height, etc for the average mower that helps in these conditions. My Lazer has so much lift that I often cut wet grass at partial throttle and it does a pretty good job. Using a medium lift blade during wet conditions instead of the notched high lifts may give the same result. I've been having pretty good luck just mowing at normal height and then hitting it again at 1/2" higher. I know alot of you are going to say you mow 2 ft tall wet grass and never have clippings (I'm not talking to you) so I'm interested in talking to those that mow relatively tall 6-8" wet, lush grass and have some problems with clippings or small clumps.

MJM landscaping
09-09-2006, 07:32 PM
The only thing that I think works is to double cut at a different angle. For smaller lawns a buddy of mine likes to walk through with a back back blower before he mows to try and dry or blow after to disperse the clumps. Wet grass sux.

metro36
09-09-2006, 07:35 PM
This is how I mow wet grass...

Go Slow
Be careful on turns
Dont bag
Double Cut

noseha
09-09-2006, 08:02 PM
If It's Lush Grass And A Problem For Two Weeks In A Row. I Will Do One Of Two Things . 1. Mow Every Three Days Or 2. Bag It. I Don't Like To Bag It And I Don't Mow Wet Tall Grass Unless The Client Is Willing To Pay Double Per Cutpayup

Idealtim
09-09-2006, 08:13 PM
metro36 has the right idea.

corey1977
09-09-2006, 09:05 PM
I have a bungee cord to keep my shoot up to prvent windrows

Precision
09-09-2006, 11:25 PM
slow down
use doubles
use meg mo blades

disperse with the blower

mow first
then edge and trim
then double cut drier clippings to disperse But only insevere cases.

prostriper
09-09-2006, 11:40 PM
I use a gator for my discharge blade and blow around what clumps are left with the backpack. There are some instances I double cut but I can get away with out doing it most of the time.

topsites
09-09-2006, 11:54 PM
Ok all of the above tricks work great for the mid-range tall grass that is not too bad. Then there comes a time such as now when it rained for a week straight and now it is warm and EVERYBODY's lawn needs cutting and I can do 6-7 a day and I have 46 of them that all needed to be done wednesday.

So I pull up to the lawn that's about a foot tall and going to seed and yes you know I am feeling the love because I don't charge extra unless the customer delays me on purpose (like when they call to tell me it does not need cutting when it really does and crap like that), so since I win some and lose some, this is the time to suck it up and lose LOL.

So: Flip the stupid chute guard up on top of the deck (or remove it) so the grass can shoot OUT of that side discharge. Then, make 3 perimeter runs (circle the lot starting from the outside and make 3 complete loops) with the chute facing IN (towards center of lawn). Once that is done, turn around and face the chute OUT (towards the neighbors lol) and continue racetracking inwards until you have cut it once over and the entire yard should be one BIG mess.

Now, this takes some tricky driving but basically you start over and do one or two perimeter runs to shoot the clippings away from the borders, then:
You need to run the Wb so that you herd the clippings into piles, so riding in circles you make 2-3 or 4-6 or however many piles as you need to make (with the chute facing in, you will continue to shoot the clippings out so if you ride in a clockwise circle, you will have a pile in the center)... Put as much grass as you can get into each pile but don't make the piles too wide. HEIGHT is ok, you can make the piles as tall as you can get but width will skru you (as you will see). Yes, the fewer piles you HAVE to make, the better.

Once you have your piles all in the yard, turn the Wb off someplace and go grab the 6x8 dernier tarp and a leaf rake. Now drop the tarp in front of the first pile (pick any one) and first use the rake to get the pile as small a circle as you can, then spread the tarp in front of it. Stand spread-eagle with both your feet on the edge of the tarp to hold it down and with the rake pull the clippings through the space between your legs onto the tarp (rake the clippings onto the tarp). Depending on the size of your piles you may get two piles onto the tarp but remember it will get heavy (once you do this a few times you will learn how big a pile is too big LOL). Then, once the first pile is on the tarp, carry it and dump it either someplace where it is ok in their yard or in the trailer, and do this with every pile until you are done.

Once you are done put the rake + tarp away and start the Wb and ride over those spots again to blow out the little that is left.
Then, weedeat and blow down, whatever.

I did two side-by-side 1/3 acre lots this way today, 1 foot tall thick crabgrass wet and mushy and OMG I almost wanted to cry brother.
7 piles and 2 hours later, I was done! You can NOT do it faster bagging, you can not make it look neat any other way, sux but do it right and do it this way... It's hard work but it is fast and effective and you will feel relief and you will be going 'hell yeah this trick RULES' after you are done wiping sweat off your forehead LOL.

One day I will take pictures to make a better tutorial.

topsites
09-10-2006, 12:08 AM
Here are some other tricks (this keeps me from having to make piles sometimes):

- Depending on the customer you can do this but if it's a class-A lawn, probably not -

Anyway, if they have wooded areas I also use the side discharge again to herd the clippings and blow them into the woods. Two but really 3 side-by-side runs parallel to the woods shoots all that right off the lawn, never have to worry about that bunch of grass. You may have to run back and forth a few more times, you may run over those 3 paths a couple times each but hey, the clippings are off the lawn!
With a bush (like those big ones that drop their cover almost to the ground and you almost can't see underneath), 3 runs around the bush (each one beside the other so 3 circles) with the chute facing the bush and BLAM you just pushed a slew of clippings under that bush and again you need to be neat and make sure it's not really obvious or bad looking, sometimes trees have 'islands' of dirt around them, this is another good place to shoot clippings is around the base of such trees (and again not all customers are cool with this, use your better judgement).

And yes, the blower helps also to disperse some of the stuff afterwards, but it doesn't work with deep stuff.

rodfather
09-10-2006, 06:23 AM
Once you have your piles all in the yard, turn the Wb off someplace and go grab the 6x8 dernier tarp and a leaf rake. Now drop the tarp in front of the first pile (pick any one) and first use the rake to get the pile as small a circle as you can, then spread the tarp in front of it. Stand spread-eagle with both your feet on the edge of the tarp to hold it down and with the rake pull the clippings through the space between your legs onto the tarp (rake the clippings onto the tarp). Depending on the size of your piles you may get two piles onto the tarp but remember it will get heavy (once you do this a few times you will learn how big a pile is too big LOL). Then, once the first pile is on the tarp, carry it and dump it either someplace where it is ok in their yard or in the trailer, and do this with every pile until you are done.

You can't be serious

noseha
09-10-2006, 06:35 AM
topsites what do you have for mowers?

yardmanlee
09-10-2006, 08:00 AM
You can't be serious
thats what I was thinking !!!!!

LawnGuy73
09-10-2006, 08:33 AM

Go Slow
Be careful on turns
Dont bag
Double Cut

Ditto ....

John Gamba
09-10-2006, 08:35 AM
heres what i do after 13 years in the business-------

LET IT DRY OUT:hammerhead:

LawnMower
09-10-2006, 09:15 AM
What I do is raise the deck up one more notch then normal.

1. Use double blades and go slow.

2.Double blades load up the underside of the deck in wet grass, so after a couple of passes turn the blades off so the grass can fall down. Do this someplace where you can clean up the grass, or what ever.

3. After the first cut, raise the deck up 2 notches and go over the yard again turning the blades off ones in a wile ( someplace away from the yard or where you can shovel up the grass or what ever)

4. Blow off the yard with back pack blowers.

When I'm done mowing the yard I drive one front wheel up on the trailer and dig out the underside of the deck. This all seems like a pain in the neck, but don't forget your mowing in the rain, or wet grass.

This works for me in wet lush, thick New England grass.

americanlawn
09-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Here's your common sense answer: You arrive at a lawn that is tall & wet.

1st thing: Mow it once at a very high setting (this may be at a 4 inch height). Try to begin mowing in sunny areas, as it will be drier.

2nd: Begin mowing the lawn a 2nd time (double mowing) at a slightly lower height and at a different direction. Try to save the wet areas last (shade).

Mowing a 3rd or 4th time offers little improvement.

I mow my own lawn (2 acres), and I let it grow to 8 - 10 inches before I mow it. I mow it with a John Deere 727-A (54" zero-turn commercial mower).

Ideally - mow in the afternoon or early evening, since this time of year, the dew seldom dries up until noon.

Sharp blade + dry grass = much nicer result. Common sence.

promower
09-14-2006, 10:41 PM
Heres my tip. Mow it, trim it, blow it and move onto the next house. When it rains for days like it has here and the grass is growing out of control they should be happy their grass got cut at all.

Post Mowing
09-14-2006, 10:56 PM
Here what we do take the trucks and trailers to the nearest breakfest spot. park in the front(so every one can read the trailers) have a big stack of pancakes and eggs and count the number of cars that drive by untill the grass is dry! :drinkup: :drinkup:

tacoma200
09-14-2006, 11:11 PM
Here what we do take the trucks and trailers to the nearest breakfest spot. park in the front(so every one can read the trailers) have a big stack of pancakes and eggs and count the number of cars that drive by untill the grass is dry! :drinkup: :drinkup:
What do you do after the grass has been wet for the 10th day? Pancakes sound good though.

Vikings
09-14-2006, 11:44 PM
Heres my tip. Mow it, trim it, blow it and move onto the next house. When it rains for days like it has here and the grass is growing out of control they should be happy their grass got cut at all.
I like this post the best.

I would add that I bag when necessary. I would rather bag then double cut anyway.

petekief
09-15-2006, 10:43 AM
I have tried slowing down and raising the deck and still made turf turds of all shapes and sizes. Cutting twice at the same height just turned the green muck muckeir. i would be cutting three and four times in spots trying to get the yard to meet my own standards. Then i read this here, somewhere, tried it, and it worked great. I cut at finished height (3") blowing in twice around then out in concentric circles (as someone suggested already but they cut three passes in) then when i'm done "cutting" i raise the deck all the way (4.75" or 5") and buzz the lawn. I blow away from things first for two passes but then start any pattern that works, usually down and back. This left a nice layer of clippings that was acceptable to ME and i hate clippings. I have not picked up ANY grass clippings since i filled my pickup bed two or three times cutting a 2/3 rds of an acre overgrown property for a close relative four or five years ago. picking up clippings looks great but isn't an option commercially for me.

noseha
09-15-2006, 11:50 AM
I'LL DO THE SAME! WHAT KIND OF GRASS! ONE TIME CUT,GUY WHO DOESN'T WANT TO TURN DOWN SPRINKLER,WHAT IS THE THING? :confused:

Willofalltrades
09-15-2006, 12:41 PM

I remeber a picture last year of two Exmarks COVERED in wet grass. lol Sometimes you just can't help it. You still have that pic? post it please if so.

John Gamba
09-15-2006, 01:08 PM
I'LL DO THE SAME! WHAT KIND OF GRASS! ONE TIME CUT,GUY WHO DOESN'T WANT TO TURN DOWN SPRINKLER,WHAT IS THE THING? :confused:

CUT TWICE A WEEK

John Gamba
09-15-2006, 01:15 PM
I remeber a picture last year of two Exmarks COVERED in wet grass. lol Sometimes you just can't help it. You still have that pic? post it please if so.

This one?? Remember sometimes you need to kick some grass. This was a 2002 Lazer EPS(the other 2001) 60" with Double high lifts cutting about a foot to a foot and an a half of tall fescue and blue grass. The lawn went for two weeks before i got the call.

You can see where it says exmark is where the grass was hitting the mower. The second pass(at 8 mph) is where the grass covered the mower, I/2 inch higher on the second cut.

mbricker
09-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Here's a partial solution to the wet grass problem, it is so obvious but no one has mentioned it:

None of us who has a full schedule can wait until all the grass has dried. But if your routes are spaced to permit doing this: Do the sparsest or worst lawns earliest in the day while wet, save the dry time in the afternoons for the nicest or lushest lawns.

I have bagged nice lawns more than most of you are willing to. If it's Bermuda or Zoysia, the wet clippings won't clog up the blower and chute quite as bad as Fescue or the other cool season grasses in this area. That fact also helps me determine which lawns get done earlier or later in the day.

John Gamba
09-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Here's a partial solution to the wet grass problem, it is so obvious but no one has mentioned it:

None of us who has a full schedule can wait until all the grass has dried. But if your routes are spaced to permit doing this: Do the sparsest or worst lawns earliest in the day while wet, save the dry time in the afternoons for the nicest or lushest lawns.

I have bagged nice lawns more than most of you are willing to. If it's Bermuda or Zoysia, the wet clippings won't clog up the blower and chute quite as bad as Fescue or the other cool season grasses in this area. That fact also helps me determine which lawns get done earlier or later in the day.

What if you only have nice lawns?? If you side bag with the meg-mo blades, it can help you go threw the smaller ones.

Willofalltrades
09-15-2006, 02:23 PM
This one?? Remember sometimes you need to kick some grass. This was a 2002 Lazer EPS(the other 2001) 60" with Double high lifts cutting about a foot to a foot and an a half of tall fescue and blue grass. The lawn went for two weeks before i got the call.

You can see where it says exmark is where the grass was hitting the mower. The second pass(at 8 mph) is where the grass covered the mower, I/2 inch higher on the second cut.

There it is! lol I like that pic.

John Gamba
09-15-2006, 02:38 PM
There it is! lol I like that pic.

Its yours:waving:

hughmcjr
09-15-2006, 04:46 PM

Go Slow
Be careful on turns
Dont bag
Double Cut

Agreed and to add if you are bagging with a walk behind cut only half and overlap more.

mowmasteruk
09-15-2006, 04:54 PM
View this link http://www.etesia.com/uk/index.htm
Sadly not available in America yet.
Highly regarded by contractors in the U.K.

John Gamba
09-15-2006, 04:56 PM

Yeah---you bag everything.

rodfather
09-15-2006, 04:59 PM

Have seen that web before...gotta figure the Brits know how to mow wet grass all year long JG.

Idealtim
09-15-2006, 05:39 PM
I love that pic to! were you mowing with one? if so, how hard was the motor working?

John Gamba
09-15-2006, 05:44 PM
Have seen that web before...gotta figure the Brits know how to mow wet grass all year long JG.

They have this type mower(tractor type) in Canada. its garden way or something like that. its a 48" rear discharge and you can mulch with the baffle plug.

Have you ever seen the lawns thats the Brits have??

John Gamba
09-15-2006, 05:45 PM

I do believe the one that looks like the walker is an Italian made one----let try and get parts*trucewhiteflag*

Pietro
09-15-2006, 08:04 PM
I will just cut it normally, then raise the deck all the way and double cut it, then they hit it with the blowers for a bit.