PDA

View Full Version : Grass ID

tacoma200
09-09-2006, 10:28 PM
I don't know my grasses very well. I see this in several yards. Anyone know what kind it is?

Envy Lawn Service
09-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Looks like what common bermuda grass looks like when grown tall in cooler regions. The right part does atleast....

Yes it will grow upright like this off the nodes of the runners.

Eddie B
09-09-2006, 11:29 PM
looks like bermuda (http://www.saguaro-juniper.com/i_and_i/invasive_spp/bermuda_grass.html)

tacoma200
09-10-2006, 12:14 AM
Bermuda was what I was thinking. Cuts alot better than fescue.

Envy Lawn Service
09-10-2006, 12:27 AM
Bermuda was what I was thinking. Cuts alot better than fescue.

Hahahahaha!!!!

Until it gets all thick and well established as a mat of turf.
Then all the ease is gone.

Think your cut and power suffer now... just wait!

tacoma200
09-10-2006, 12:30 AM
Well all my lawns with this grass are smoother and the clippings never turn into cow patties. Thats a plus.

Envy Lawn Service
09-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Well all my lawns with this grass are smoother and the clippings never turn into cow patties. Thats a plus.

Here the stem part gets coarse and sometimes the runners will vac up from ground level, but not far enough to get cut off, so they just lay on top of the thick mat. I see that with the eXmark a lot and with other mowers I've owned. What I really hate most is that often the stems/runners turn light brown. The Lesco sometimes sucks them up and cuts all the leaf off the runner. I HATE that.

Anyways, once it gets to a thick mat and full like it does in the southern and eastern fringes of my service area... then the cutting and clippings are much different.

If you have a good cutting mower and can keep the blade tip speed up there it cuts really nice. However, as you can see it's sorta like corn stalks. It has a bunch of leaves/blades on it that are finer as opposed to the single blade on fescue. So your deck is really processing a LOT MORE material through it that is thinner.

With that said, it does not throw far easily, nor does it spread as easily, and the mat is so thick the cuttings do not fall through as much.

When the humidity is high is worse than anything I think. No it doesn't usually clump as easily, nor make tiny balls or wads as easily (purer stands).... but you will get the hayfield look, WITH these piles. Not clumps or wads, but loose piles.

I've watched it come out the chute enough and what happens is that it comes out in such a high density stream and does not propel as far... to the point that as it lands on top of the turf, it will collect an even layer, which will start trapping these loose piles.