PDA

View Full Version : Proper tire inflation

JTF40
09-10-2006, 09:22 AM
My Kubota has 24x12x12 rear tires. It weighs 1500 lbs. The owners manual says to inflate to 20 psi. (which I do). What do you'all recommend or do different? :usflag:

tacoma200
09-10-2006, 02:11 PM
If the owners manual says 20 lbs and it rides ok go with that. I personally use less air pressure than recommended for a better ride. No it doesn't seem to hurt my cut quality. Most of the mid size ZTR's recommend about 13 psi and that may work on a smooth lawn but dropping down to 8-10 lbs definitely makes for a smoother ride. Since that is probably a pretty heavy machine I wouldn't drop the air pressure too much. Check to make sure the cut quality is good after lowering it and that the deck rake is not affected. Like I said if it rides ok and doesn't jar you too bad just leave it at the factory recommended settings.

ChadsLawn
09-10-2006, 03:05 PM
I run my super lugs at 15lbs.. Its a rough ride because the side walls are very stiff. But thats what ive always run them at. I also think it give proper height as well.

tacoma200
09-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Grasshoppers come with low pressure tires, they have the right idea..

gene gls
09-10-2006, 09:10 PM
I run 6-8 in the front and 10 lbs in the rear of my hustler Super Z. Makes the bumps a lot smother.

indy2tall
09-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Hey Gene,

I realize this is off topic for this thread but do you still love your dump and go now that you have had it for a year? Also what kind of miles per gallon do you get on your Isuzu? That is an Isuzu cab and chassis under your dump and go isn't it?

dlm17
09-11-2006, 07:43 PM
The Higher The Pressure The More Likely Your Mower Will Track Or Rut Your Lawns I Run Mine At 14

gene gls
09-11-2006, 07:55 PM
Hey Gene,

I realize this is off topic for this thread but do you still love your dump and go now that you have had it for a year? Also what kind of miles per gallon do you get on your Isuzu? That is an Isuzu cab and chassis under your dump and go isn't it?

Its a Mitsubishi with a 10' platform dump. I have had it for 5 years. It gets around 13-14 miles per gallon with the 130 HP engin. There is good and bad parts to every truck.

TLS
09-12-2006, 07:08 AM
My Kubota has 24x12x12 rear tires. It weighs 1500 lbs. The owners manual says to inflate to 20 psi. (which I do). What do you'all recommend or do different? :usflag:

20psi should be the max inflation stamped on the sidewall. That IMO, even with your mowers weight is too high. You could definately get away with 15psi, and maybe even lower.

Your front caster tires however is what gives you the bigger reward in terms of smooth ride for the PSI. What does Kubota recommend for them?

Also, while your at it, list the size, brand, ply, and max inflation for your tires on that Kubota. I don't think they use Carlisle, do they?

JTF40
09-12-2006, 09:59 AM
20psi should be the max inflation stamped on the sidewall. That IMO, even with your mowers weight is too high. You could definately get away with 15psi, and maybe even lower.

Your front caster tires however is what gives you the bigger reward in terms of smooth ride for the PSI. What does Kubota recommend for them?

Also, while your at it, list the size, brand, ply, and max inflation for your tires on that Kubota. I don't think they use Carlisle, do they?

The 20 psi. IS what the owner's manual recommends for the rear tires.

The manual recommends 30 psi. for the front casters.

The front tires are 15x6-6 and the rears are 24x12-12.

The rear tires are 6-ply Turfmasters.

Runner
09-12-2006, 10:18 AM
These are the rates that are stamped on the tires, but you can't go by that for ZTRs. It is more for application on tractors and such that don't have dual drive. What has to be right on the Z's is the circumference of the tire when the mower is lifted up. Otherwise, the tracking will be affected on the mower. When these tires come out of the stamp press, each and every one is different. Also, for those that are running lower pressure in the rears, make sure that your rake (pitch) remains positive.

Daner
09-12-2006, 12:03 PM
I have the same tire size On my zd28...I run my back at 15lbs and the front casters at 25.
I tried lower pressures and found that the cut was not as good.