PDA

View Full Version : 2000 F350 Front Caliper Removal

Markf
09-10-2006, 12:27 PM
We have discovered that the front left rotor is being scored. I need to remove the caliper to investigate the cause. (the pads do not need to be replaced). I am assuming that the caliper swings away (downward). I have loosen the bottom bolt 11/16" and removed the 13/16" bolt that seems to hold the caliper to the knuckle. However, without some heavy duty persuasion the caliper is not moving. I do not see any other bolts. Have I missed something? Please advise.
Mark

lawnmaniac883
09-10-2006, 09:05 PM
There should be two bolts of equal size on the engine side of the caliper that hold the caliper to the bracket. Loosen these two bolts then start working the caliper off of the rotor. BTW, if your rotor is being scored then your pads are shot........

MMLawn
09-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Did you release the pads off the rotor also? If you didn't thats why the caliper isn't moving

Markf
09-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the replies. The problem is solved. It turns out that the spring metal tab that is located at the top of the caliper that helps to hold the pad in place broke and the tab must have gotten stuck between the pad and rotor.
Mark

start2finish
09-11-2006, 09:34 PM
when you reassemble the caliper make sure to put never seize oon the caliper pins (bolts) this will keep the brakes from dragging, especially if you travel in salt.