PDA

View Full Version : Woman killed with mower in my hometown.

YotaNate
09-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Kinda old to be using a commercial w/b, but who knows.

Local woman dies after freak mowing mishap

By GREG KAYLOR Banner Staff Writer

Published Sunday, September 10, 2006 6:00 AM EDT

A local woman died late Friday morning after a freak accident involving a lawnmower.

Shirley Torbett, 70, died from a severe cut to one of her legs, according to officials with Bradley County Sheriff's Office.

A call for help was received shortly after 11 a.m. Friday.

Emergency first responders with Bradley County Emergency Medical Service and the BCSO rushed to the scene on Crawford Drive.

Torbett was reportedly mowing a neighbor's yard with a large industrial walk-behind lawnmower when the accident occurred.

LifeForce helicopter landed at Wal-Mart South as paramedics worked to save the woman's life.

The victim suffered a significant loss of blood due to the wound and passed away before she could be airlifted, according to reports.

She is survived by her husband of 52 years James “Bill” Torbett of Cleveland; children Mickey Torbett of Cleveland, Tim Torbett and Kevin Torbett, both of Murfreesboro; four grandchildren: Jason Rogers of Cleveland, Amanda Torbett of Cleveland, Will Torbett and Justin Torbett, both of Murfreesboro; four sisters and five brothers.

Her funeral will be conducted at 1 p.m. on Monday in the chapel of Ralph Buckner Funeral Home with the Rev. Bill Hicks officiating. Interment will follow in Fort Hill Cemetery.

REALSLOW
09-10-2006, 02:38 PM
She was probably using a Lesco WB, every time I or an employee use ours we end up with some kind of injury because of how poor the fit and finish on the mower is.

tacoma200
09-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Very sad. It seems like alot of the deaths caused by mowers are considered freak accidents. Any details into what actually happened to cause this. We had a guy killed a few years ago mowing near a deep ditch at a K-Mart but it wasn't a freak accident. He was too close to the ditch it seems.

YotaNate
09-10-2006, 02:53 PM
I don't know any details. Just saw it on our newspapers website this morning.

Tharrell
09-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Whatever happened, she died from blood loss. Must have been a severe wound.

DBL
09-10-2006, 07:04 PM
everyoone be careful out there

parkeeee
09-10-2006, 07:23 PM
No matter how good we are, we can never take safety for granted.

jt5019
09-10-2006, 08:45 PM
No matter how good we are, we can never take safety for granted.

Very true...Just a few days ago while i was backing up my walkbehind on wet grass (flat surface)I slipped and my foot almost went right under the deck :eek:

cantoo
09-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Today, 01:38 PM
REALSLOW
LawnSite Senior Member Join Date: Jun 2006

She was probably using a Lesco WB, every time I or an employee use ours we end up with some kind of injury because of how poor the fit and finish on the mower is.

Wonder what would happen if one of your workers was hurt using your machine and he squealed about it's history of accidents?

MOW ED
09-11-2006, 07:13 AM
Your have some large arteries in your legs and if one of these is severed your bodies volume of blood may be depleated in less than 4 minutes. It usually takes an ambulance more than that to get to the scene. Very unfortunate occurance. I do remember another accident that was publicized where a man was mowing and hit a large tv dish from the older days. That dish fell on his leg, cut the femoral artery and he died on the scene also. The Man Above has his plan, He doesn't always tell you how the story ends.