PDA

View Full Version : Installing Sprinkler System

mlong30
09-11-2006, 03:30 AM
Hi,

How difficult would it be for me to install my own sprinkler system? Can I rent a machine to lay the pipe under ground, then install sprinkler heads, then have a plumber run a water line to my system?

Thanks.

Matt

Dirty Water
09-11-2006, 06:06 AM
www.irrigationtutorials.com

LarryF
09-11-2006, 09:41 AM
Neat site! Thanks for posting it. And thank you too, Matt, for asking the question. I think it's good information, even for someone who might hire someone else to do the installation, because it's nice to have a reference available that explains what should be happening. I've already had a few so-called spinkler-system installers over to give me estimates, and I have to admit that I didn't feel very confident about their expertise as a result of talking to them.

If you do go through with this project, Matt, please give us updates on how things are going.

mlong30
09-11-2006, 09:50 AM
I was thinking about purchasing the following, but then got to thinking, if I dig a hole for these, how much more work would I have to do, to lay pipe?

http://www.wateringmadeeasy.com/

I still don't know what machine to use/rent in order to lay the pipe?

Thanks.

Matt

ed2hess
09-11-2006, 06:06 PM
I installed mine but lot is about 10K in size. I dug all the trenches by hand and put in pvc pipe. It was a good winter project. I concentrated on doing one station each weekend. Hooking up to the water supply isn't hard if you got city water. My saving was around $1K.....only did this to get experience to do other jobs. Most installs are around $2K in our area and some estimates are even lower.

LarryF
09-11-2006, 09:41 PM
I still don't know what machine to use/rent in order to lay the pipe?

I guess you didn't look at the website Jon provided. The author, Jess Stryker, devoted a section on trenching equipment. He didn't provide the names of the manufacturers of those machines, but there should be enough information for you to be able to rent the required equipment. Better still, he gave some tips about hiring someone who owns such equipment to do the trenching for you.

By the way, I looked at the wateringmadeeasy web site you provided, and I have no idea why anyone would want to take that route or the hybrid method you are thinking about rather than to install a conventional lawn-sprinkler system.:confused:

lawnmaniac883
09-12-2006, 08:12 PM
An overview of laying the pipe underground.

1) Call the power company or 1800beforeyoudig, one of those people and have them MARK OFF THE LINES!!!

2) Go to your local rental shop and get yourself either a walkbehind trencher or self propelled trencher, depends on how much you need to lay. Them walkbehinds are heavy mofo's so if you arent wanting to really manhandle a machine get self propelled or have a company trench for you.

3) lay pipe.

hoskm01
09-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Just for reference, be prepared for some work. The "machine" doesnt actually lay the pipe for you unless you get a vibratory plow which can be had, though I am not familiar with. Then, once the trench's are dug, youll have to clean them out by hand, and lay the PVC by hand, should you choose to use that. Check out the site provided above, any newbie should be able to work out a system from that. Best advice is hire a pro.

T.Wells
09-13-2006, 09:55 AM
I was going through this 1-year ago. I was preparing myself to install the sprinklers and so on. I went ahead and got three prices and chose the company my landscaper recommended as he was actually the cheapest and was willing to really discuss my system with me. One estimate was nearly double that of the company I used.

I ended up with a 30+ head system on my front lawn (approx 15k sq ft) in under two days.

It was a joy to watch a crew of 7 complete the job in such a short time. Actually, only two guys came on the second day as they just finished up the connections.

I would save up over the winter, and pay someone to do the job in March if possible. Much less aggravation and you'll know the job is done right.

Just my .02

-T.Wells

ATL Lawn
09-21-2006, 10:41 AM
I was going through this 1-year ago. I was preparing myself to install the sprinklers and so on. I went ahead and got three prices and chose the company my landscaper recommended as he was actually the cheapest and was willing to really discuss my system with me. One estimate was nearly double that of the company I used.

I ended up with a 30+ head system on my front lawn (approx 15k sq ft) in under two days.

It was a joy to watch a crew of 7 complete the job in such a short time. Actually, only two guys came on the second day as they just finished up the connections.

I would save up over the winter, and pay someone to do the job in March if possible. Much less aggravation and you'll know the job is done right.

Just my .02

-T.Wells

how much was it?

gsxr1100
09-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Hi,

How difficult would it be for me to install my own sprinkler system? Can I rent a machine to lay the pipe under ground, then install sprinkler heads, then have a plumber run a water line to my system?

Thanks.

Matt

I put my own in (now some others want it done). You can do it all yourself once you lay it all out on paper for spacing, pressure drops etc. It is very easy when you do this. Once you figure out your static water pressue ($6 gauge) you are golden.....

Or you can have a company just pull the poly (pipe) for XXX dollars. The pluger will put on the Febco valve and shut off. Then you can install valves, and heads. It is up to you. I did my complete yard for about $600; plumbing, laying pipe (use my Kubota with Backhoe) etc. Installers wanted about $2500 to $3000.

The most expensive part is the controller, Hunter C, $60 (rainsensor is like $16). Then the backflow ($44) and the rest is the poly pipe (Cheap; 300 ft rolls was like $35 to 40), heads; I used/use PGP ($9) or I-20SS ($16) and Prosprays $2, Hunter AGR valves where like $12 each. I used Blazzing Saddles; very nice. Most installers around here do not use them; Plumb right into main line; which I think is poor design.

LarryF
09-24-2006, 09:25 PM
I put my own in (now some others want it done). You can do it all yourself once you lay it all out on paper for spacing, pressure drops etc. It is very easy when you do this. Once you figure out your static water pressue ($6 gauge) you are golden.....

Or you can have a company just pull the poly (pipe) for XXX dollars. The pluger will put on the Febco valve and shut off. Then you can install valves, and heads. It is up to you. I did my complete yard for about $600; plumbing, laying pipe (use my Kubota with Backhoe) etc. Installers wanted about $2500 to $3000.

The most expensive part is the controller, Hunter C, $60 (rainsensor is like $16). Then the backflow ($44) and the rest is the poly pipe (Cheap; 300 ft rolls was like $35 to 40), heads; I used/use PGP ($9) or I-20SS ($16) and Prosprays $2, Hunter AGR valves where like $12 each. I used Blazzing Saddles; very nice. Most installers around here do not use them; Plumb right into main line; which I think is poor design.

Sounds like you did a great job. :clapping: I'll have to research the terminology before I understand all you said, but I have a few questions about what you got for your $600 which, by the way, seems incredibally inexpensive.
(1) How big is the turfed area that the sprinklers cover?
(2) How many zones?
(3) How many sprinkler heads?
(4) Are there any flower beds or shrub areas and if so, how many heads are dedicated to these?

gsxr1100
09-25-2006, 08:30 AM
The area was about 12,000 sq/ft. The more poly I bought the better deal he gave me. The prices started at $40 per 300 ft poly. Total of 5 zones; 4 zones of 90% PGP and 10% I-20SS; 1 zone all Prosprays (13) with 12 ft radius (red color I think).

Again the labor is what is killing you (at least for me). The parts are dirt cheap. Example, I have had quotes to replace a PGP for $50 and $100 to replace a Febco 745 ¾” . I can buy the PGP for $9 and the 745 for $44.

What saved me was the 81 PSI from City. It is on the high end but I do not care. More coverage!!!!

LarryF
09-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Yours is the most detailed report of a self-installed sprinkler system I have stumbled upon, and on top of that is sounds like they are current prices. I have about an acre of turf, so I'd be shelling out about 4 times as much as you spent, but that's still very cheap compared to one of the 10-grand estimates I had gotten. I'm still not sure I'll be doing it, but if I do, I'll feel a lot more comfortable about where I would be going than before you provided your posts.

dixie134
09-26-2006, 02:31 PM
I had a buddy who did irrigation work . I worked with him on 2-3 jobs for extra cash sometime ago.He used pvc pipe not the flexible stuff, pretty simple really, just underground plumbing that no one will ever see.You can rent a trencher real cheap and have it all dug in 1 day.Once you figure out you're layout and sprinkler locations the rest is just connecting the dots.Do it you're self and good luck.

turf_toes
09-28-2006, 12:47 PM
I've just done this project myself and it is much cheaper (though with lots of labor) than paying a pro.

You can buy 400 feet of 3/4-inch 160 psi polypipe for about $80 from any local plumbing supply store. You can buy Hunter variable PGP sprinkler heads for about $10 from www.sprinkler.com.

After that, you just need to buy 75 cent barbed T and elbow connectors.

An 18-inch deep (three inches wide) trencher will cost you about $100 for a day.

You'll still need to buy the valves and the timer. (which are not expensive at Sprinkler.com) But if you really want to go cheap, you can hook the polypipe up to your hose bib with little 75 cent adapters. (You can buy a four valve hose bib adapter for about $10 at Home Depot)

I did my entire yard for less than $400. Most of the pros wanted closer to $6,000.

The thing to remember if you do it this route is to blow the system out at the end of the season. You can rent a suitable air compressor from home depot for about $25 for a day.

gsxr1100
10-04-2006, 06:37 PM
elbow connectors and tee's? Are you crazy....

Blazzing saddles, $2 (with funy pipe) are way better and save MUCH time.

Plus 3/4" Main line? that is too small. You are re-ducing your GPM here.....

That site is ok but the prices on the controllers is way to high. I got my Hunter ProC 300I for $59..they want $95

You must not have a big yard since the trencher and the controller are 50% of the price you stated; $400 not less then. Add in your 3/4 pipe you need $80, that is almost 75% of your total...Add in 10 heads @ $10 (maybe 2 zones) you are maxed at $400; not less then. Something does not add up since $400 vs $6,000????If someone stated 6,000 for your yard, the materials cost more then that.

gsxr1100
10-04-2006, 06:50 PM
I did not add in (price above) valves, wire, febco backflow, pvc to get to valves from Febco, water line material, shutoff, manifolds, valves box.

Again, re-visit your total since there is no way you did it for 400 and someone stated $6,000. You can go a 44,000 sq/ft for that.. Material (poly pipe alone) is way more then that....:confused: :confused: :confused:

turf_toes
10-04-2006, 10:10 PM
gsxr1100,

I'm not crazy. But you are correct. That sum should not have included the cost of the trencher.

Also, you are correct in your observation of using 3/4 inch pipe. But I never said to use it as the main. I'm using it for each zone. That aside, I would still probably have used one-inch poly pipe, if I could do it over again.

All that aside, the fact remains that doing it yourself is MUCH cheaper than paying someone else. As for your preference for not using the elbow and t connectors, well, I'd say to each their own. But you can buy them at Home Depot for about 75 cents.

I don't have a conflict of interest here. I don't make my living installing these systems. I'm sure a professional could nitpick a diy system and find all sorts of things wrong with it. But once again, for most folks here, the issue comes down to a price equation. My system works great and does the same job that a professional system would do at a fraction of the cost.

I imagine most professionals would tell us that it makes more sense to pay a professional. Otherwise, they wouldn't have a job.

As for the $6k total. I would suggest to you that price is determined by the market place. Perhaps in your area the cost of a system is not that expensive. But unfortunately for me, it is the going price for a systm covering about 10,000 square feet (if done by a professional).

gsxr1100
10-05-2006, 08:08 AM
so you used XX dia main line and then 3/4? to heads?

If you add up all the material, it comes out above $400?

Then again, easy one, what is your main water PSI before backflow and zones you have?

turf_toes
10-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Reread the posting. I have mine hooked to my bib. I use a four-valve adapter with timer to run the zones. I have three bibs with that setup using thee zones each.

So, no main line at all. Just adapters running to the hose bibs (with a four-valve adapter costing $10). (The obit hose timers have backflow built-in)

I have nine zones. The psi is 60 psi at the source with 13 gallons per minute. Of course, I lose some of that using this method because my 3/4 inch polypipe only allows 8 gallons per minute (which is why I said before that if I had to do it again, i would use one-inch pipe.)

gsxr1100
10-05-2006, 07:04 PM
9 zones with about 4 heads (PGP) each? That is $360 right there, alone.

Yes, installing them yourself is cheaper, bigtime, but your <$400 does not add up if you have all PGP heads, hunter timer etc.

Then again 9 zones for 10,000 dq/ft is about 40% too much.

You used orbit hose timer...LMAO...Yup, you did DYI BIGTIME and that is why it is so cheap. You are not comparing a real sprinkler vs real sprinkler sys. Next time I would use the correct stuff like a real timer, real backflow, real valves, real main lines, real funny pipe, real adapters etc. You can not even compare your price to the contractor price. Not even close in quality, performance, longeveity, etc

turf_toes
10-05-2006, 10:17 PM
gsxr1100,

Wow. You really are obsessed. This thread has become completely hijacked and I'm not sure why, other than your wanting to dispute what I said I've done with my yard.

Good luck with your life. I suspect you really need to work on that.

Dirty Water
10-05-2006, 11:16 PM
Turf_toes: Your system is the what we professional irrigators take pictures of when we happen on, and then all have a good laugh.

I'm glad it works well for you. If you ever caught a profesional doing that though........

gsxr1100
10-06-2006, 07:20 AM
gsxr1100,

Wow. You really are obsessed. This thread has become completely hijacked and I'm not sure why, other than your wanting to dispute what I said I've done with my yard.

Good luck with your life. I suspect you really need to work on that.

Not obessed but when someone posts I did my yard for $400 and got prices up to $6,000. You are not comparing apples to apples.Hijack no, it is called doing it right!

Dirty Water, That is me point and I agree 100%