PDA

View Full Version : Another Mulch pricing question

rockandroller
09-11-2006, 12:37 PM
I know this topic has been beaten to death, but what is the avg. charge per yard of mulch (dbl. grd.) when you have it dropped off?

I am charging $75/yd when I pick it up myself, but I am starting to realize that for bigger jobs, it's worth my time to pay for delivery and have the stopped dropped off.

My question is "how much per yard should I be bidding at when I don't pick it up. $65 per yard? In simpler terms, how much of your per unit price for mulch do you include for pick-up? Comprende?
Thanks in advance

R&R'r:cool2:

fulano
09-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Why is it cheaper for the mulch co to deliver? I live less than 2 miles from a a big place that does mulch. The delivered price would probably be higher than it would cost me just to pic it up.

rockandroller
09-11-2006, 03:36 PM
The reason it is cheaper is that I can only haul 3 yards max at one time. So for a job requiring say 10 yards, that's at least three trips @ avg. 30 min round trip + gas, which is 1.5 hrs. I avg. between $50-$60 hr depending on the job, so if I pay $45-$50 delivery for the 10 yds, I'm up $25 bucks ($75 (1.5 hrs @ $50) - ($50 delivery cost) + no gas and truck wear and tear....This is the example for a job I just bid.

If I were 5 min from the yard and could haul a good load then of course it's not worth it. It's econ 101...opportunity costs....

southtx
09-11-2006, 10:53 PM
I asked the same question the other day...with no feedback. I have a job that going to take 28 yard but I dont know what to chage??? All I have to do is just some small prep work and then spred. Should I be looking at 55 per yard or is that to low or to high?? thanks

woodall1
10-03-2006, 11:02 PM
I charge $200 per 4 yards.

David W
10-04-2006, 09:20 AM
I charge anywhere between $50 and $65 per yard depending on size of job. Larger the job I tend to go with around $50 to give the customer a break.

BeautifulBlooms
10-04-2006, 04:41 PM
We charge $45 per yard delivered and installed with a 10 yard minimum for the cheap stuff we get ($15 is our cost). For hemlock we charge $65 per yard our cost is like $35. On new places we do 3 inches deep, on existing places with decent mulch buildup we will topdress at 1 inch.

All I say with mulch is make sure you have the large large plastic wheelbarrows it cuts your hauling in half. We can do anywhere from 1 yard per man hour (really extreme jobs) to 2 1/2 yards (large berm areas with open space) per man hour depending on shrubs, perennials, distance hauling etc.

So if you are hauling real far stay on the low end, if you have a long distance to haul go up a little bit. Or if you have tons of perennials to work around such as a new planting it can take twice as long but also doesnt need (or cant handle) as much mulch either.