PDA

View Full Version : bluestone patio repair question

cedarcroft
09-11-2006, 12:21 PM
A customer has an existing bluestone patio (aprox. 18'x 25') the pieces are all different sizes and several are cracked from a truck driving on them many years ago. she wants to pull the existing product up and redo the patio using what is still good and adding some new pieces. I am planning on excavating the base out to a depth of 5-6 inches and adding compacted RCA and then an inch of sand to set the bluestone in. is this a bad idea? any other suggestions on what I should do for a base?

Kizzelwhix
09-11-2006, 12:49 PM
dont really need the sand for the bluestone, as the base cant come through and change the color because... its blue.

I would go with 8 inches of base, use 5/8" TB and should be good... thats how I'd go about it anyway.

waltero
09-11-2006, 04:31 PM
I also have a customer that has some walkways out of bluestone and wants to add on to what is already there. What I have found out so far is to go with a base just like with pavers but instead use 2" of sand. The reason for the extra inch of sand is because not all bluestone is the same thickness and you will need that extra bit of sand to adjust for the different thickness of each stone. I have read some conflicting stuff also and this is the best I have come across. If anyone has anything else to add, the stage is all yours.

Walter

Kizzelwhix
09-12-2006, 05:13 PM
The only purpose (that I know of) for using sand is to avoid the color of the limestone/modified base coming through and affecting the color of the walk/patio.

So if you're using bluestone, there should be no need for sand... at least whenever I do a flagstone/bluestone patio or pad or walk, I dont use sande