PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Mini Fastrack ?

lawnstriper23
09-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Does anybody have the OHV Honda 16 hp/36" deck or the Kohler 15 hp/ 36" deck machine. Overall impression of the machine (good and bad). What is the general price range for these machines? Any assistance is appreciated........

nmurph
09-11-2006, 03:24 PM
i can't help you with the honda, i do however have the 17hp Kohler. i bought the 17 bc it has more power and was about $500 cheaper ($3100 including tax 6/06). i will say it is loud and a little lumpy at idle, but turn the revs up and it is a horse. wear ear plugs, which you should do anyway, and it's not a problem. it will produce an excellent cut and the Huslter warranty and factory support are the benchmark for the industry. go to the Hustler forum and search. i know FISHPA has the 16hp Honda.

fishinpa
09-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Yes I do have the 16/42. I think it's a great machine although I'm having an issue with the flex forks. I won't go into that because the dealer is going to talk to the distributor and possibly the factory about a resolution.

I don't think the machine is underpowered, but I've never driven another Z so I have nothing to compare it to. I did want to mention that if your yard will allow you use the 42" you might want o consider it. The 36" has no overhang so there is not much of a trim edge to allow getting really close to beds.

The Honda is awesome in my modest homeowners’ opinion. When the grass gets really heavy and overgrown, I can't quite run wide open but then again, I like my kidneys where they are.

lawnstriper23
09-12-2006, 10:53 AM
I was quoted $3779.00 for the Kohler 17hp/ 42 version. Is this a good price or should I shop around elsewhere? I really want the 42" version as the 36" might not be good for trimming (as stated in a previous post by fishinpa). I am very interested to find out where nmurph bought this machine for $3100 because that is almost $700 less than the quoted cost that I got (and that was purchased during "high season"). My wife would like the $3100 price since she will need to agree to this purchase. You know how those wives get when it comes to making purchases :)

stumpjumper
09-12-2006, 11:12 AM
I have a 17/42 that I bought in March for $3450.00. All I've had to do to it besides oil changes and lube is retension the belt and change blades.

BigLag
09-12-2006, 11:24 AM
I just bought the 16/42 honda. I love it. Mine has the mulch kit on it and I think the cut quality is awesome. My only complaint is on hills, it's very hard to cut due to it wants to keep sliding down, but this may be a issue with ztr's in general. I paid $3750, but that was a demo unit with 9 hours on it. I was told by several people to get the honda.

BigLag
09-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Here is a pic of my fastrack. I've had it a little less than a month.

lawnstriper23
09-12-2006, 12:07 PM
So I gather that I should shop around because there has got to be a better price out there than $3779 with the Kohler engine? Maybe the sales rep made a mistake and quoted me for the Honda engine? I have a call into him, but still waiting for a call back. I am looking to purchase within the next couple of days so I need to get all my information straight. I am looking at adding the mulching kit and flex forks to my machine. I emailed my neighbor the specs on the Mini Fastrack and I know that he is jealous. Wait till he gets to see it in real life. Aww, I can't wait................

BigLag
09-12-2006, 01:48 PM
well the 3779 was what my dealer quoted me for the kohler new..mine was a demo unit, if i bought it new it would have been like 4300 with the honda.

fishinpa
09-12-2006, 02:29 PM
I'm not 100% sure but I think the MSRP on the MFT - Honda/42" is up to about $4600.00. I got mine in March as an 05' leftover and paid about 3800.00. I didn't complain because I knew if I had any problems I didn't want the dealer to think "here comes that prick" again. The dealer I've found seems to be a really nice & honest guy. I hear people complain all the time about not being able to get their dealer on the phone, welp I have a tough time getting this guy off the phone. I mean that in a exceptional customer service kid of way! One of his guys lives "over my way" and went out of his way (voluntarily) to drop off my Flex Forks, late on a Friday evening, on his own time. Thank you Paul!

I'm not associated with this guy's business, so I'm going to give him a shameless "plug" here. If your in the Bucks/ Montgomery County, Pennsylvania area and want to talk to who I believe is a very honest and upfront dealer, call:

Michael Lombardo, Inc.
547 West Glenside Avenue
Glenside, PA 19038
+1 215 887 4432

lawnstriper23
09-13-2006, 03:39 PM
Whelp, after thinking about making this purchase (I mean not being able to sleep and waking up in the middle of the night thinking about it) I have decided to go with the Kohler 17/ 42" deck. I thought about the 36" deck, but the point regarding trimming around flowerbeds really made me rethink that size deck. I am thinking about adding the flex forks and definitely the mulch kit (I am fricking tired of bagging and I am sure the garbage collectors are sick of all my bags with clipping on the curb for pickup). Should I add anything else with this purchase? I know an Ipod will be purchased to help with the engine noise. I am going tomorrow morning to order my machine and it should be available for delivery just in time for the weekend. Talk about not being able to sleep. These next couple nights should be restless.....I also want to rig up some kind of striping device. Any suggestions?

nmurph
09-13-2006, 07:05 PM
striper, there is not a better choice of machine in the <1acre ztr than a mft. i definitely would go with the 42" as mentioned previously. the difference in trim is about 4". as for msrp, the 17/42 list for $4199 and the 16/42 list for $4699. off of the top of my head, i think the 17 has about 4-5 more lb-ft of torque. something like 31 vs 27. i have used my mower for 2 summers now and could not be happier. the only time i have ever had it bog is when i cut at my parents house. there is one little spot of bermuda that is over a septic field and it is extremely lush. i have to slow a little there, but no where else. the cut is fantastic. if the blades are relatively sharp, i can run full speed over bahia and not leave stringers. mulching is not much of an issue here, but i can tell you that there is very little left when i get through cutting my centipede. it gets cut weekly so i'm sure that helps. i would try to leave the clippings on the ground if i could, they are nourishment. as to the price i paid for my mower, i bought it before the price increase last year. i think they went up about $500 across the board. pj can answer this for you. i had shopped other dealers b/f i bought and the next lowest price was several hundred $'s higher. i would think that any thing around $3700-3800 would be a good price. here is a link to a used mower on the Hustler page. it is not too far from you, i think. the baggers go for about $700 bucks. this probably is not a bad price if the machine is in the shape that it should be if it was only used 10x's. http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/Classifieds/ClassifiedsCont/ClassifiedFrames.html

BigLag
09-14-2006, 09:27 AM
i'd try using the machine a few times before getting the flex forks. Its a pretty smooth ride if you're not riding wide open. good luck with your purchase.

lawnstriper23
09-14-2006, 01:04 PM
Just got back from placing my order for the Hustler Mini Fastrack with the 17Hp/ 42” options. I wanted the Honda engine, but I am lucky to be getting the machine that I did get (the wife thinks this purchase is a complete overkill). I am having the dealer drop it off tomorrow afternoon so now I need to pray for sunshine for the weekend so I can fire this bad boy up. I also got the mulching option along with the flex forks. I can always sell the forks if they don’t work out and plus I couldn’t pass them up for $100 with the purchase of a new mower. I am skipping out of work early tomorrow so I can play with my new toy. Tonight is going to be like Christmas Eve because I won’t be able to sleep J

fishinpa
09-14-2006, 07:49 PM
Drive it around a bit before running it down a hill or anything like that. The toughest thing too get used to is that pulling "back" stops the machine.

I was coming down my yard and heading for the neighbors fence and it was all I could do to "pull back" on the controls and not hit the fence. It's like fighting the conditioning you've had your whole like to step on a pedal to STOP, and wanting to throw your hands out in front of you buy natural instinct. I guess mind over matter won out, and it was like pulling nails.

BE VERY CAREFULL your first few hours!

NOTE: NO I did not hit the fence, but it was close.

There's all kinds of little things you'll take in during the learning curve. The best 1 read that made a HUGE difference for me was to be sure that if your turning forward, be sure both drive wheels are in forward motion, just have one spinning a bit faster than the other. ( I wish I knew who gave that advice so I could credit them) This will help keep you from tearing up the lawn around smaller trees, although you can't completely avoid it, it helps.

Welcome to the family & be sure to fire off any questions you may have. Don't hesitate to PM me if you don't want to "go public" with a particular question. I don't want to volunteer anyone else's services but nmurph and I did a bit of PM'ing about our machines and got to now each other a bit. I'll vouch for him as a solid resource also. No offence to anyone else here is intended with that remark.

lawnstriper23
09-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Drive it around a bit before running it down a hill or anything like that. The toughest thing too get used to is that pulling "back" stops the machine.

I was coming down my yard and heading for the neighbors fence and it was all I could do to "pull back" on the controls and not hit the fence. It's like fighting the conditioning you've had your whole like to step on a pedal to STOP, and wanting to throw your hands out in front of you buy natural instinct. I guess mind over matter won out, and it was like pulling nails.

BE VERY CAREFULL your first few hours!

NOTE: NO I did not hit the fence, but it was close.

There's all kinds of little things you'll take in during the learning curve. The best 1 read that made a HUGE difference for me was to be sure that if your turning forward, be sure both drive wheels are in forward motion, just have one spinning a bit faster than the other. ( I wish I knew who gave that advice so I could credit them) This will help keep you from tearing up the lawn around smaller trees, although you can't completely avoid it, it helps.

Welcome to the family & be sure to fire off any questions you may have. Don't hesitate to PM me if you don't want to "go public" with a particular question. I don't want to volunteer anyone else's services but nmurph and I did a bit of PM'ing about our machines and got to now each other a bit. I'll vouch for him as a solid resource also. No offence to anyone else here is intended with that remark.

Thanks for the info. I am kinda of worried about the figuring the machine out, but I have no fences to contend with :) I will more than likely take the machine out in the backyard to get use to things so the neighbors can't see me tearing things up and getting jerked around. I am very excited to finally get my ZT, but now I must find a new home for my 21" walk behind Honda mower. I might just hold onto to it till the spring because since fall and winter are coming I doubt anybody is looking to buy a mower. I have already cleared out a parking spot in the garage and now just waiting till tomorrow afternoon for delivery. Has anybody come up with a striping device for the Mini Fastrack?

fishinpa
09-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Has anybody come up with a striping device for the Mini Fastrack?

You shoudn't need it. You're not "striping" for a living. I run mine stock and had a friend come over the other day who used to be a landscaper and one of the first things out of his mouth was "nice stripes dude". When it's really dry the stripes might not be as pronounced, but "it's all good" brother, no worries.

This machine will impress you as it come from the factory. Worry about other things, like keeping the wifey poo cool while you out in the garage goofing with the mower all winter when you can't actually drive it.

lawnstriper23
09-15-2006, 08:25 AM
"You shouldn't need it. You're not "striping" for a living"
Yes, this is true that I'm not striping for a living, but its a neighborly competition to have the best looking yard. I actually have a striping kit for my 21" walkbehind and the neighbors are expecting me to have stripes. I will see how it looks after using the Mini Fastrack, but if I don't get good results I can see myself in the garage this weekend rigging something up. I already have a couple rollers from a conveyor belt just in case.
I guess its just a pride thing :dancing:

nmurph
09-15-2006, 09:22 AM
don't dump that 21"er just yet. they may be some areas that you find that it actually does a better job. i have a small ditch that i use my 21" murray to mow along the crown. if i don't, it will scalp.------yeah, go ahead and laugh. it's 10 years old and starts first pull EVERY time. it cost me two tanks of gas and and a qt of oil for its yearly oil change--i also have a spot or two around some flower beds where i use it so that i don't scalp. it has nothing to do with the MFT, it's just that i can only access them one way and that way will always scalp. where two flower beds come together is a right angle and there is no way to parallel the beds. the front wheels will drop down into the plantings and cause a scalp. i mow everything that i can with the MFT and leave it idling while i grab the 21 and do the trim. i then grab the trimmer and finish the odds and ends.
tell your wife there is a new love in your life, and she is a Hustler. Congrats, and welcome to the Hustler family.

lawnstriper23
09-15-2006, 10:39 AM
don't dump that 21"er just yet. they may be some areas that you find that it actually does a better job. i have a small ditch that i use my 21" murray to mow along the crown. if i don't, it will scalp.------yeah, go ahead and laugh. it's 10 years old and starts first pull EVERY time. it cost me two tanks of gas and and a qt of oil for its yearly oil change--i also have a spot or two around some flower beds where i use it so that i don't scalp. it has nothing to do with the MFT, it's just that i can only access them one way and that way will always scalp. where two flower beds come together is a right angle and there is no way to parallel the beds. the front wheels will drop down into the plantings and cause a scalp. i mow everything that i can with the MFT and leave it idling while i grab the 21 and do the trim. i then grab the trimmer and finish the odds and ends.
tell your wife there is a new love in your life, and she is a Hustler. Congrats, and welcome to the Hustler family.

I thought about keeping the 21", but for the spots that the MFT can't access I was just going to use the trimmer. My property is fairly wide open with flowerbeds surrounding my whole house. To tell you the truth, I also need the space in my garage for the MFT!! I rearranged my garage yesterday just to make it a nice parking spot (in front of my car because the wifey would probably run into it when she pulls in to her spot in the garage). I am going to ask the neighbor a few doors down from me if he might be interested in the 21" because he just moved in and doesn't have a mower yet. If not i will just keep it and put it up for sale in the Spring.
I love telling everybody that I have a Hustler because they instantly think about the magazine (what a bunch of perves). As for telling my wife that I have a new love in my life, I think she will get the point when I am cutting the grass everyday :)

lawnstriper23
09-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Well, after cutting my property and my neighbors property I think that I'm getting the hang of this machine. I still need it to dry out a bit because the back of my property holds water and I get ruts when driving through that portion of the property. I might consider the bagger next year because of the clipping this thing discharges on my driveway and sidewalks. Overall I am very pleased with the machine.

wbwanzer
09-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Hope you enjoy your machine as much as I do. I have the MFT 42" with 17hp Kohler. Got it a couple of weeks ago.
I'll tell you what. Mine pretty much mulches without a mulch kit. Hardly anything comes out of the chute compared to my CC lawn tractor. I used to rake the heavy discharge areas. Now with the Mini you can't see any cut grass laying around. Now I admit you can see it on the sidewalk or driveway, but no piles in the yard like with the tractor. For that benefit alone I'm pleased with the machine.
I've got the flex forks and see no problem with them.

Enjoy.

VBsnow
09-22-2006, 12:02 PM
I'll tell you, my neighbors had a good time w/ me. I showed up on my 1.13 acre lot w/ a Troy-Bilt. They would smoke me, better cut and timewise. The ywould even tell my girlfriend my mower was the wrong color(not green, get it). Well yesterday my dealer dropped of my Mini FT for 3295.00 (Chesapeake, VA.). While I did kill a bush and small juniper due to my not being used to the 0 turn, I hauled butt. Smooth even cut, super fast. Chewed up and spit out grass I used to have to crawl through. I offered to let my neighbor take it for a ride and he said NO. Claims his Deere LT does 10-12 easy. I calsmy and cooly said I would talk to him on Saturday morning and maybe we could have a little race. Too bad I couldn't wait that long. I cut the grass last night while practicing turns in about an hour. Now I am getting the hang of it and expect to finish the whole lawn in 30-45 minutes. JD is my B*@#!!

runningdeer
10-02-2006, 10:57 AM
Bought the Mini Fastak 42" on Friday and will be picking it up this week. :drinkup: Out the door brand new in crate with bagger, hourmeter, and 7%tax:$4032. I was really impressed with its handling on the side hill they have for demos.
JK