PDA

View Full Version : Uncut strip of grass left on my new Super Z..

HenryB
09-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Between the trim side and middle blade I'm getting a strip of uncut grass. XR7 deck 06 model. Anyone Know what I can do. No one responded to my PM so please repond.

syzer
09-11-2006, 10:16 PM
You can contact your dealer about the free baffle kit they made to fix this problem. We had the same problem, put the kit on, no more problem!

mowerconsultant
09-12-2006, 07:08 PM
Just looked through my private messages here, I get a bunch, and for some reason I overlooked yours, I am sorry.
There are triangular baffles you can bolt in, or your dealer can, that will take care of the problem for you.
They are part # 107897, you will need 2 of this part #.
Your dealer can take care of this under warranty.

Pj

puppypaws
09-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Just looked through my private messages here, I get a bunch, and for some reason I overlooked yours, I am sorry.
There are triangular baffles you can bolt in, or your dealer can, that will take care of the problem for you.
They are part # 107897, you will need 2 of this part #.
Your dealer can take care of this under warranty.

PjWe put the triangle in my deck and I thought it was helping but when you cut wet thick grass it will still leave a windrow of cut grass between the center and left blade. You have to lap back over to pick this up or it looks bad and this should not be happening, any more ideas.

mowerconsultant
09-14-2006, 01:45 PM
There will be a air lift kit available soon that will take care of it.
I will post part #'s and availability when I have them.

Pj

nick858
04-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Bringing this back to the top. Not complaining, but my Super Z still leaves the stringer with all the "kits" installed. I got another 60" Super Z brand new this year, and it does the same thing. We are in Iowa, and although I dont have any customers complaining, the problem is not fixed.

mowerconsultant
04-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Bringing this back to the top. Not complaining, but my Super Z still leaves the stringer with all the "kits" installed. I got another 60" Super Z brand new this year, and it does the same thing. We are in Iowa, and although I dont have any customers complaining, the problem is not fixed.

Have you told your dealer this?
Email me and I will have someone contact you.
We are not experiencing the issue we used to have with the XR-7's this season that I am aware of.

nick858
05-01-2007, 11:00 PM
I have informed the dealer, as well as Daren(black and gold). He is the territory rep for my area. I havent pushed the issue too much, simply because I cant afford to be without the unit during the growing season, and obviously there is no way to show the problem without growing grass.

coolluv
05-02-2007, 05:54 AM
I have a 2006 44" Super Mini Z with the mulch kit on it and I have the same problem with uncut strip of grass in the middle of the deck. I think it is the left side middle. I did not notice it that much until I started cutting fescue and zoysia grass. I mostly cut bermuda,and I noticed it when the bermuda was a little higher than normal.

You can really see it bad on the fescue and zoysia. I bought the mower in June of 2006 and really did not use it that much because I was just starting out and did not have that many customers. I think the mower is great but I really wish it had a better cut.

Can you tell me what part numbers and parts that I need to get this problem fixed. I bought it from Terrys Tool Rental in Cumming Ga. and so far they have been great. I would like to call Terry with the part numbers and parts list so he can order them and I could get this problem fixed.

Thank you for your help. Dave...

3Bladz
05-02-2007, 07:15 PM
We are seeing this too. We are adjusting deck level, I will see if that helps.

mowerconsultant
05-03-2007, 11:01 AM
I have a 2006 44" Super Mini Z with the mulch kit on it and I have the same problem with uncut strip of grass in the middle of the deck. I think it is the left side middle. I did not notice it that much until I started cutting fescue and zoysia grass. I mostly cut bermuda,and I noticed it when the bermuda was a little higher than normal.

You can really see it bad on the fescue and zoysia. I bought the mower in June of 2006 and really did not use it that much because I was just starting out and did not have that many customers. I think the mower is great but I really wish it had a better cut.

Can you tell me what part numbers and parts that I need to get this problem fixed. I bought it from Terrys Tool Rental in Cumming Ga. and so far they have been great. I would like to call Terry with the part numbers and parts list so he can order them and I could get this problem fixed.

Thank you for your help. Dave...

There are no parts or updates on this deck, call your dealer and let them know what is going on, they will make sure the deck is level and pitched correctly and belt tension is what is supposed to be.

Pj

mowerconsultant
05-03-2007, 11:02 AM
We are seeing this too. We are adjusting deck level, I will see if that helps.

What mower do you have?

3Bladz
05-03-2007, 07:11 PM
2 - 60" XR7's

mowerconsultant
05-04-2007, 07:49 AM
2 - 60" XR7's

E-mail me your details if this continues and I will get our regional service manager involved.

Pj

JAF
05-05-2007, 12:57 PM
If you have an 06 and you dont have the air kit install a 106765 for a 60" it should include a front triangle plate and a plate to lower you front edge. We have found that just installing the wedge on the left side does the best job. sometime you might need to lower the front edge of the deck. Hustler is the only company I know of that can do this at no cost. It will allow you to cut grass form east coast to west coast.

3Bladz
05-07-2007, 11:26 PM
If you have an 06 and you dont have the air kit install a 106765 for a 60" it should include a front triangle plate and a plate to lower you front edge. We have found that just installing the wedge on the left side does the best job. sometime you might need to lower the front edge of the deck. Hustler is the only company I know of that can do this at no cost. It will allow you to cut grass form east coast to west coast.

I am cutting at 3 inches. What height should the front plate be in respect to the blade height? They are 07's with the triangle on the front.

mowerconsultant
05-08-2007, 07:55 AM
I am cutting at 3 inches. What height should the front plate be in respect to the blade height? They are 07's with the triangle on the front.

We need to know what your serial # is to determine what version of deck you have.
Please post it or email me.

Pj

JAF
05-08-2007, 03:10 PM
The model number should have a b in it to have the kit from the factory. The triangle piece should be located on the left between the left and mid blades. It should be a real heavy piece of iron. Not the two little pieces that are bent in a L shape. As for as the relation between the front of the deck to your blades I believe your grass and location would make the differance. Mowing at a true three inches I dont think you need to lower the front edge. Like I said Hustler is the only mower you tweek like this.

blackandgold
05-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Your mowers are "B" style decks. They do not have the triangle pieces previously spoken about and there are no baffles that can be adjusted. Just hang tight. I am working with your dealer and our service department about this.

Are you using the flex forks on your mower?

jmkb72
05-13-2007, 08:07 PM
PJ,
I too am getting this on my new 2007 Super Z 24 honda/60' XR7 side discharge. I thought I was just going too fast which was disappointing as I have mowed faster with other mowers (Bush Hog) and since Hustler advertises 10mph mowing speeds for the Super Z. From what you've told other guys here I will go ahead and call my dealer about it tomorrow (Patten Cat, Joliet, IL). I'm glad I checked here and will be even happier when this gets addressed and I can increase my productivity. Let me know if there's anything else I should do.
By the way I removed that "L" shaped blow out baffle (I guess that's what its called) at the front from the left side thinking maybe with it gone the grass could stand back up sooner but I couldn't tell a difference. Keeping the blades real sharp helps a little but doesn't solve it. I'm not running flex forks or mulch kit and have the stock fusion blades.
Just a thought but it kind of seems like the left and center blade just don't over lap enough and that's what's causing it.
Jeremiah

mowerconsultant
05-14-2007, 10:41 AM
PJ,
I too am getting this on my new 2007 Super Z 24 honda/60' XR7 side discharge. I thought I was just going too fast which was disappointing as I have mowed faster with other mowers (Bush Hog) and since Hustler advertises 10mph mowing speeds for the Super Z. From what you've told other guys here I will go ahead and call my dealer about it tomorrow (Patten Cat, Joliet, IL). I'm glad I checked here and will be even happier when this gets addressed and I can increase my productivity. Let me know if there's anything else I should do.
By the way I removed that "L" shaped blow out baffle (I guess that's what its called) at the front from the left side thinking maybe with it gone the grass could stand back up sooner but I couldn't tell a difference. Keeping the blades real sharp helps a little but doesn't solve it. I'm not running flex forks or mulch kit and have the stock fusion blades.
Just a thought but it kind of seems like the left and center blade just don't over lap enough and that's what's causing it.
Jeremiah

Your dealer will take care of you.
You need to get the deck updated from what it sounds like.

puppypaws
05-14-2007, 11:19 AM
PJ,
JeremiahYou will never be able to cut 3.25" up and do a good job with any speed, the deck does not have enough suction at that height to stand the grass up to be cut. My 66" XR-7 does a wonderful job but I cut at 2.75" and I cut at 15 mph a big part of the time.

The fact is, the higher the deck setting the less suction to stand the grass up, this means a very slow cutting speed. I cut extremely fast everywhere I can stand the ride and it does a very good job at low cutting heights.

If you watched me cut you would find it hard to believe that much grass could be cut in a hour, it still amazes me the difference the fast cutting speeds makes, every time I mow it is like, how did I mow that much that fast.

JAF
05-15-2007, 09:41 AM
It is so hard to find out if you guys have the baffle kit or not. I would suggest to contact your dealer you bought them from and have them contact hustler.

jmkb72
05-16-2007, 12:06 AM
You will never be able to cut 3.25" up and do a good job with any speed, the deck does not have enough suction at that height to stand the grass up to be cut. My 66" XR-7 does a wonderful job but I cut at 2.75" and I cut at 15 mph a big part of the time.

The fact is, the higher the deck setting the less suction to stand the grass up, this means a very slow cutting speed. I cut extremely fast everywhere I can stand the ride and it does a very good job at low cutting heights.

If you watched me cut you would find it hard to believe that much grass could be cut in a hour, it still amazes me the difference the fast cutting speeds makes, every time I mow it is like, how did I mow that much that fast.

Hey thanks for that, I had kind of noticed it got better at a lower height and had wonder if the closer proximity to the ground sealed the deck better to the ground creating more suction and hence standing the grass up better. I guess also the blades hit the grass lower where its stiffer and less likely to be able to be bent over out to the way... whether the suction from the deck is standing it up or not. I wonder if the front of the deck was lower, rather than being ramped up like it is if it would seal to the ground better at a higher height?
PJ, as far as my deck not being updated, why would that be, its brand new out of the crate only 3 weeks old. Every picture i looked at of the latest XR7 deck from the brochure and on-line looks exactly like mine on top and underneath. I talked to two dealers in the area and they could only suggest bringing it in to look at it. Should I expect this sort of checkout to be free of charge?
What's the best way to ensure correct RPM setting, anyone?
One last thing, should I expect a mulching kit to require a slower groundspeed to produce same quality of cut, what with the extra mulching being a greater load on the system?
Thanks guys.

mowerconsultant
05-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Hey thanks for that, I had kind of noticed it got better at a lower height and had wonder if the closer proximity to the ground sealed the deck better to the ground creating more suction and hence standing the grass up better. I guess also the blades hit the grass lower where its stiffer and less likely to be able to be bent over out to the way... whether the suction from the deck is standing it up or not. I wonder if the front of the deck was lower, rather than being ramped up like it is if it would seal to the ground better at a higher height?
PJ, as far as my deck not being updated, why would that be, its brand new out of the crate only 3 weeks old. Every picture i looked at of the latest XR7 deck from the brochure and on-line looks exactly like mine on top and underneath. I talked to two dealers in the area and they could only suggest bringing it in to look at it. Should I expect this sort of checkout to be free of charge?
What's the best way to ensure correct RPM setting, anyone?
One last thing, should I expect a mulching kit to require a slower groundspeed to produce same quality of cut, what with the extra mulching being a greater load on the system?
Thanks guys.

The dealer can tell you if it is the updated version and also check it out for cut quality, there should not be a charge for this, if there is let me know.
As far as the pictures your looking at, they may be the "A" version your seeing, not the "B" that you need to be using.
Your deck may just need to be updated to the "B".
What is your serial #?
Better yet, let the dealer look at it to make sure.

Pj

jmkb72
05-16-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks PJ, I'll do that.

nick858
05-16-2007, 08:55 PM
We are still getting the uncut strip on both our Super Z Xr7s too. We cut at 3.25-3.5. Once the growth slows a little, and we can go shorter, I'll try getting down lower to see if that gets rid of it.

jmkb72
05-17-2007, 08:12 AM
PJ,
Getting back to the dealer is a bit out of the way, I will but in the mean time this is my model number and serial number, if that can help me know what to expect.
model#927848
serial#06052083

mowerconsultant
05-17-2007, 09:58 AM
PJ,
Getting back to the dealer is a bit out of the way, I will but in the mean time this is my model number and serial number, if that can help me know what to expect.
model#927848
serial#06052083

You certainly have a earlier version of the XR-7 deck, it is very similar to the "A" version we now make, thing is you need the "B" version.
Your dealer can update it to a "B" version and you will be all set.

Pj

diagnostech
05-22-2007, 08:56 PM
my 2006 xr7 66" is now also showing this problem. Please help, because if it's not Hustler, it's not a real mower.:)
no air kits installed, is it worth my money?

imograss
05-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Still having the same buildup issues, with mine.

mowerconsultant
05-24-2007, 01:09 PM
Still having the same buildup issues, with mine.

Have you talked to Ken and Matt?

imograss
05-24-2007, 07:37 PM
I will e mail them tonight. I took the triangle baffles out . It didn't seem to discharge as far, but it isn't keeping the grass under there chopping it up fine either. But still building up nonetheless.

mowerconsultant
05-25-2007, 07:38 AM
I will e mail them tonight. I took the triangle baffles out . It didn't seem to discharge as far, but it isn't keeping the grass under there chopping it up fine either. But still building up nonetheless.

I will talk to them today.

djlawn
05-25-2007, 09:08 PM
I am having the same problem with the strip. I just bought the mower new a month ago. I also seem like I am bailing hay at 3. Sometimes 3.5 seems to be cutting a tremendous amount of grass. It just doesn't seem like it disperses the grass like my old Exmark did. Also, when I first start the mower and try to engage the blades it stall out. By the way I have the 60" Super Z with the 30 HP Kohler

3Bladz
05-26-2007, 06:13 PM
We still don't have a solution to my issue. The low lift blades help reduce the uncut strips, but does not eliminate it. But the low lift blades dont stand up all the grass either. It is even leaving grass clippings behind between the blades. The grass is getting real dry here now and we are starting to cut at
3 1/4" which does not seem to make the problem worse. I have tried to cut at 2 3/4" with no difference.

mowerconsultant
05-29-2007, 09:32 AM
I am having the same problem with the strip. I just bought the mower new a month ago. I also seem like I am bailing hay at 3. Sometimes 3.5 seems to be cutting a tremendous amount of grass. It just doesn't seem like it disperses the grass like my old Exmark did. Also, when I first start the mower and try to engage the blades it stall out. By the way I have the 60" Super Z with the 30 HP Kohler

E-mail me please.
Who did you buy it from?
I need your model and serial #, I want to make sure you have a up to date machine, deck and engine.

Pj

mowerconsultant
05-29-2007, 09:35 AM
We still don't have a solution to my issue. The low lift blades help reduce the uncut strips, but does not eliminate it. But the low lift blades dont stand up all the grass either. It is even leaving grass clippings behind between the blades. The grass is getting real dry here now and we are starting to cut at
3 1/4" which does not seem to make the problem worse. I have tried to cut at 2 3/4" with no difference.

Have you talked to your dealer again?

3Bladz
05-30-2007, 10:05 PM
Have you talked to your dealer again?

About every other day. We just tried the gator style blades which still leave a ridge of grass between the blades (I won't call it an uncut strip like I had w/ the high lift blades). I talked to the dealer today and he wants to try taking the triangle baffle out.

mowerconsultant
05-31-2007, 09:18 AM
About every other day. We just tried the gator style blades which still leave a ridge of grass between the blades (I won't call it an uncut strip like I had w/ the high lift blades). I talked to the dealer today and he wants to try taking the triangle baffle out.

Ok.
Who is the dealer?
Are they talking to their factory service rep?

diagnostech
05-31-2007, 10:12 PM
I would sure hate to be a mower manufacturer. last year we were working with different conditions, and different problems , decks cut different from year to year. due to weather pattern changes. thick and juicy- tall and thin- etc.

Metro Lawn
06-03-2007, 01:09 PM
I am also having issues. I still get the strip of uncut grass with the kit installed. I also get clumps even in dry grass. I thought it was the wet spring and it would go away as things dried out, but it hasn't. I have never had to do so much double and triple cuttings in my life as I have done this year.

1PRO
06-03-2007, 04:08 PM
My xr7 deck was cutting lower in the middle than the left and right blade, after some looking i pulled the blades off and compared them to another set i had come to find out the set that i checked had a bend on the ends of the blade my crew had put on the wrong set the 05 deck take the 52's and the 06 deck takes the 85's those are the last two part numbers on the blades. So i took a white permenent white maker and wrote 52 and 85 under the arm rests and seat. Just and thought.

mowerconsultant
06-04-2007, 09:39 AM
I am also having issues. I still get the strip of uncut grass with the kit installed. I also get clumps even in dry grass. I thought it was the wet spring and it would go away as things dried out, but it hasn't. I have never had to do so much double and triple cuttings in my life as I have done this year.

Have you talked to Mike @ Pro Mower about this?

mowerconsultant
06-04-2007, 09:42 AM
My xr7 deck was cutting lower in the middle than the left and right blade, after some looking i pulled the blades off and compared them to another set i had come to find out the set that i checked had a bend on the ends of the blade my crew had put on the wrong set the 05 deck take the 52's and the 06 deck takes the 85's those are the last two part numbers on the blades. So i took a white permenent white maker and wrote 52 and 85 under the arm rests and seat. Just and thought.

We have never made a 52" XR-7.
But from early 05 to 06 there was a blade style change on Z decks.
Your 06 52" is not a XR-7.

jmkb72
06-04-2007, 11:56 PM
PJ,
My dealer, Patten Cat Joliet, IL, got in touch with our rep and has a B version kit on the way. Sounds like its not going to make much of a difference from what other guys have said after installing the update. I'm just curious, is Hustler working on another solution. This is really on my mind after feeling so frustrated having to mow so slow today. This Super Z is supposed to mow fast, I love everything else about it, just that I have to go slow to get a nice cut.

mowerconsultant
06-05-2007, 10:25 AM
PJ,
My dealer, Patten Cat Joliet, IL, got in touch with our rep and has a B version kit on the way. Sounds like its not going to make much of a difference from what other guys have said after installing the update. I'm just curious, is Hustler working on another solution. This is really on my mind after feeling so frustrated having to mow so slow today. This Super Z is supposed to mow fast, I love everything else about it, just that I have to go slow to get a nice cut.

Get the kit in, it should take care of your problem.
I am not aware of any other kits or solutions, the kit is taking care of the issues we have seen.

Pj

Metro Lawn
06-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Have you talked to Mike @ Pro Mower about this?

I mentioned it when I had it in for service. At that time, we were still thinking it was the wet conditions.

mowerconsultant
06-08-2007, 08:32 AM
I mentioned it when I had it in for service. At that time, we were still thinking it was the wet conditions.

Make sure you talk to Mike, we will get it taken care of for you.

Pj

nmez21
06-09-2007, 09:56 AM
I was having problems as well, but I got the kit installed 2 weeks ago and it has worked like a charm. Cuts as smooth as you can imagine @ 4" on ken. bluegrass. I was doing a little bushhogging (~18" of growth down to 4.5") and it did seem to leave a bit of a strip where it wasn't cut quite as well, but it was really no big deal since it only gets cut a couple times a year if that. I'm very satisfied with the results.

jmkb72
06-11-2007, 10:03 AM
I was having problems as well, but I got the kit installed 2 weeks ago and it has worked like a charm. Cuts as smooth as you can imagine @ 4" on ken. bluegrass. I was doing a little bushhogging (~18" of growth down to 4.5") and it did seem to leave a bit of a strip where it wasn't cut quite as well, but it was really no big deal since it only gets cut a couple times a year if that. I'm very satisfied with the results.

Hey glad to hear that, mine should be here any day. I'll let you all know how it goes. Of course it hasn't been nearly as bad as it was now that things are so dried out here.

cward76
07-12-2007, 01:47 PM
pj, I am also seeing two strips of grass left behind when I mow at heights above 3". And if the grass is very thick, it will do the same at lower heights.
I have not told my dealer about this yet, but he is coming by Saturday. I thought you may be able to give me the part numbers to the things to correct the problem. The deck is stock. I have a 06/ Super Z 60"/28hp efi XR-7 deck. Was bought in April of 2006.

mowerconsultant
07-16-2007, 09:09 AM
pj, I am also seeing two strips of grass left behind when I mow at heights above 3". And if the grass is very thick, it will do the same at lower heights.
I have not told my dealer about this yet, but he is coming by Saturday. I thought you may be able to give me the part numbers to the things to correct the problem. The deck is stock. I have a 06/ Super Z 60"/28hp efi XR-7 deck. Was bought in April of 2006.

I don't have them at this moment, I am not on my usual computer.
I am sure by now your dealer is on top of this.
Let me know.

Pj

jmkb72
07-18-2007, 12:00 AM
Sorry to take so long getting back to you all on the results of having installed the "air lift" kit on my XR7 60". A definate improvement. New blades went on with it so I'm sure that helped a little too, will know better as the tips wear down. The kit lowers the leading edge of the deck to about the same depth as the rest of the deck. I thinking this helps the deck seal to the ground better creating more suction, thus standing the grass up better. There are some other parts too, but I can tell it sounds different with that lower front edge. Like someone else said, in tall grass at high cutting heights at high speeds you can still easily get the strips, heck you can get them at 3" if you go fast enough. For the time being I am quite satisfied. The kit was free and the new blade thrown in because it took a while to arrive, that was the doing of my dealer. Big kudos to Armondo at Patten Cat Joliet, IL, he is a good guy that still believes in the value of good customer service.
By the way, anyone know if the mulch kit will work with the Air lift kit?

mowerconsultant
07-19-2007, 06:08 PM
By the way, anyone know if the mulch kit will work with the Air lift kit?

You need to remove the air lift kit when installing the mulch kit.