PDA

View Full Version : should the allignment have been included??

mcwlandscaping
09-11-2006, 05:05 PM
for my new truck, i needed to have a new steering box put in because some gears were really messed up inside it and you could really feel it in the steering...however, the steering feels fine now, but, isn't aligned anymore. Its just slightly off to the left a bit...my question is, if it was aligned before, and since it is doing this now that this new part is in, should they be responsible for the steering alignment problem?

thanks
mike

ps. if i end up having to have someone align the steering, what should i expect to pay for this as it is only a little bit off.

FearThisDeere
09-11-2006, 05:07 PM
I would assume that with any steering component they should realign everything in the steering.

sheshovel
09-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Ok is your truck new enough to still be under warranty?
Why did the gears get messed up in the steering box (something you did or what?)
Yes... they should align it, But if you spacificly asked them to just replace the steering box and that's it...well then no. I think I paid $45.00 last time I had my truck aligned. BUT if your tires are worn and or unbalanced that can also through off your alignment.
So can alot of things. They should not be responsible to pay for your alignment no......should they have done it?..they should have suggested it to you as part of the service.

mcwlandscaping
09-11-2006, 05:23 PM
the truck is a 1997 chevy silverado 2500, amazing condition and i got a great deal on it. Nothing i did with the gears but, the steering felt kinda loose to me, so i had my mechanic check it when it went in for inspection. He pulled it apart and found a couple somewhat stripped gears inside which caused the steering to feel very loose and the wheel wouldn't return to center so ide have to turn it all the way back, and so on. So, i told him to go ahead and change the steering box out, he did, i picked up the truck, the steering feels perfect now, its just not centered, like i have the wheel turned slightly to the right to make it drive perfectly straight. Its like they installed the steering shaft one spline too much to one side and if it was pulled out and turned one spline it would be fine. Maybe its not so much as the allignement as it is what i just mentioned. Shows how much i know!! LOL, could what i described fix the problem?

sheshovel
09-11-2006, 05:33 PM
OK OK OK yeah your alignment has nothing to do with that. Wish you would've said so in the 1st dang place.
Take it back explain the problem and request they fix it right. Should be N/C.
They screwed up.

xcopterdoc
09-11-2006, 09:09 PM
The alignment should have been checked as part of the replacement. AND there should have been a charge for it. Or at least included in the labor bill. If it isnt pulling to one side, then its just a matter of a toe and go to center the wheel.

xcopterdoc
09-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Oh.. and since they didnt do it, or did do it and screwed it up... then N/C.

stumper1620
09-11-2006, 09:26 PM
the truck is a 1997 chevy silverado 2500, amazing condition and i got a great deal on it. Nothing i did with the gears but, the steering felt kinda loose to me, so i had my mechanic check it when it went in for inspection. He pulled it apart and found a couple somewhat stripped gears inside which caused the steering to feel very loose and the wheel wouldn't return to center so ide have to turn it all the way back, and so on. So, i told him to go ahead and change the steering box out, he did, i picked up the truck, the steering feels perfect now, its just not centered, like i have the wheel turned slightly to the right to make it drive perfectly straight. Its like they installed the steering shaft one spline too much to one side and if it was pulled out and turned one spline it would be fine. Maybe its not so much as the allignement as it is what i just mentioned. Shows how much i know!! LOL, could what i described fix the problem?
mike,
a well put together Estimate would have included an Alignment along with the box, and a full inspection for bushings, tie rods or other worn parts.
sounds like the shaft is off by one spline, If you have an airbag that is how it should be corrected or the clock spring won't be set properly for turning full in both directions.