PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on trimmer line

David W
09-11-2006, 05:30 PM
We have been using the Husky Titanium .95 line for the past 5 years or so. It has worked very well for us, but I was curious as to what each of you use and what your thoughts are on the best line out there.

We currently are running 8 RedMax 2600's and 1 FS-110 from Stihl.

horsequick
09-11-2006, 06:17 PM
I used to use that. Then I changed to the stuff from J-Thomas.....the square line. Think it's called optimum. It's a LOT better.

FinalCut05
09-11-2006, 06:18 PM
I run Rhino-Tuff Square, size .095 in my stihl KM-110R and love it. A full trimmer spool lasts me 3 weeks. I can trim 2-3 houses before I even have to bump it. Great stuff.

kmann
09-11-2006, 06:28 PM
We have been using the Husky Titanium .95 line for the past 5 years or so. It has worked very well for us, but I was curious as to what each of you use and what your thoughts are on the best line out there.

We currently are running 8 RedMax 2600's and 1 FS-110 from Stihl.
Gator Magnum Square. Have yet to see anything that even comes close.

metro36
09-11-2006, 06:33 PM
I use echo cross fire line. Works great especially when you get the precut pieces for rapid loader. The line cuts great. Before I got the rapid loader I tried a bunch of different line and echo was the best.
Just my 0.2

Chop Stuff Up
09-11-2006, 08:37 PM
echo crossfire!

Rickco
09-11-2006, 09:49 PM
echo crossfire!
Ditto,cross fire

lawns Etc
09-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Gatorline is awesome in my opinion with the wal mart red diamond a close 2nd

lawnboy dan
09-12-2006, 06:04 PM
rotary red stripe square (also sold as arnold extreme) also like" the edge "when i can find it. i use echo crossfire in heads that cant use a square line. husky ti line is crap

David W
09-12-2006, 06:10 PM
rotary red stripe square (also sold as arnold extreme) also like" the edge "when i can find it. i use echo crossfire in heads that cant use a square line. husky ti line is crap

We used the echo x-fire for many years and then switched to the titanium about 5 years ago. And found it to be far superior to the echo x-fire. It just depends on what your trimming and type grass I guess.

Thanks for all the replies and I think we'll try some of the J. Thomas stuff and the gatorline.

tacoma200
09-12-2006, 06:51 PM
I used to use that. Then I changed to the stuff from J-Thomas.....the square line. Think it's called optimum. It's a LOT better.
Don't know if its the best but its cheap and work well.

Daner
09-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Make Mine 0.95 Cross-Fire...It kicks butt. I also use the 130 cross fire for heavy weeded fence lines.The round also has Its place...when you don't want to cut up the back ground too much.

J&R Landscaping
09-12-2006, 07:39 PM
Echo Crossfire right here! I did run redmax at first but I threw the rest of it away as after cutting 3 properties and doing the usual trimming, I had gone through 1.5 spools of line.

The redmax line is nothing but a waste. Ever since I have been happily running echo crossfire .095

corey4671
09-12-2006, 11:11 PM
I used crossfire for several years until I found the Gatorline. That stuff was indestrucable! Then I couldn't find it anymore and switched back to crossfire....105 please! :)

lawnprosteveo
09-12-2006, 11:15 PM
I used Echo Crossfire for 3 years...was pretty happy with it. Switched to Shindaiwa Silent Twist this season and like it better....seems to not get jammed as much....seems to handle chain link fences well....

David W
09-13-2006, 07:50 AM
We will be using it mainly in a park like setting. Weed eating around A LOT of trees, VERY large hillsides, and large pond. I want to get a good line that just runs smooth and cuts anything in it's way. Like I said before I used to be a rep almost for crossfire I liked it so much but after switching to the Husky Titanium twist line, in my opinion and 8 other guys it was far superior in cutting tall thick grass and longevity.

RedMax line is defintely out of the question. Doesn't last not time. I'm going to get some small spools of maybe 5 different lines and do some testing with the guys.

I'll let you all know the outcome for what it's worth.

GrasshopperLC
09-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Gatorline all the way

WJW Lawn
09-13-2006, 05:24 PM
How does Gatorline handle chain linked fences???

kmann
09-13-2006, 08:10 PM
I used crossfire for several years until I found the Gatorline. That stuff was indestrucable! Then I couldn't find it anymore and switched back to crossfire....105 please! :)
Same here. I call it crap fire! Can't even compare to the Gator . The Magnum lasts at least 5 times longer than that Echo junk! Does'nt weld on the head nearly as much either. Mowparts. com carries it. Just ordered A spool. 5 lbs lasts like a year. And it works well along all different types of fences.

David W
09-13-2006, 09:37 PM
I just got in from trying a trimmer head full of gatorline and it is very impressive. Must say I like how long it lasts for edging and going 360 on objects.

Wasn't too impressed with the wide open field cut using like a mower. Kinda bogs a little but not enough to not use it!!! I defintely ordering a couple spools tomorrow.

grass_cuttin_fool
09-14-2006, 07:54 AM
I use shakespere line, they manufacture the Rhino -tuff also, it last and seems to cut good and last also, I use the .95 round

wayne

ucfjoe
09-14-2006, 09:09 AM
i run the rotary 95...i like the vortex style much more than the simple round

Rons Rightway Lawncare
09-14-2006, 09:24 AM
I buy whatever it cheapest and so far I really don't think I have found one type of string that is better or worse than another. They all get used pretty quick if your using the trimmer alot.

I did switch to 1.05 line recently and found that it does last longer, alot longer!

And I take off the trimmer guard before ever even starting the trimmer when I buy a new one. I don't like that little blade chopping off my string! I like my string to be about one bump out longer than that guard allows.