PDA

View Full Version : Crane Flys And Lots Of Them

Daner
09-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Have any of you ever seen these little buggers while mowing.
For some reason I believe there causing damage to our Lawns.
It Looks to me that there the European Crane Fly.

Daner
09-12-2006, 02:29 PM
This Is The Larvae.
Looks like Grubs.

Daner
09-12-2006, 04:50 PM
No one else has seen these??

Evan528
09-12-2006, 06:32 PM
I had a lawn last summer that has swarms of them. I was told they do not harm the grass in anyway......;)

gene gls
09-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Have any of you ever seen these little buggers while mowing.
For some reason I believe there causing damage to our Lawns.
It Looks to me that there the European Crane Fly.

Thier population is increasing to the point where damage is visiable. U MASS sent out an up date on the problem a few weeks ago.

specialtylc
09-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Heavy infestations will harm the turf, the larvae does the damage. If you have a pest license now is the time to treat for next year.

par69
09-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Now is not the time!!! They are flying around now laying eggs. You can't kill them flying and you can not kill them in there eggs.

When the Larvae hatches and they are eating the grass in Feb.-April depending where you live is the time to kill them. Anything that is legal in your state for lawn grubs will work. Apply ever 2 to 3 weeks.

Daner
09-13-2006, 10:13 AM
I'm sure Glad to see that I'm not the only one that has seen these flys.
I think they attack the root system.
Last spring I posted a picture of a lawn with millions of holes In It...Now I almost sure that It was the starlings pecking down In the turff to get the buggers:hammerhead:

Daner
09-13-2006, 10:46 AM
Now is not the time!!! They are flying around now laying eggs. You can't kill them flying and you can not kill them in there eggs.

When the Larvae hatches and they are eating the grass in Feb.-April depending where you live is the time to kill them. Anything that is legal in your state for lawn grubs will work. Apply ever 2 to 3 weeks.

your right^... It depends where you are...I just found out from the dept of agg... October Is the best time (In Ontario) to kill the Larvae...Before the soil freezes.
Also they Call them Leatherjackets.

par69
09-13-2006, 11:44 PM
If you have a bunch of starlings pecking in your lawn, it is a sure sign of grubs. If you see damage in your lawn it is time to put down some insecticide. I still think it is spring when the eggs hatch.

Just keep an eye on it this spring.