PDA

View Full Version : Gravely hydro walk's

John Gamba
09-12-2006, 06:16 PM
If you own one or have owned one please let me know how you liked it. How is that mower at 8.5 mph.

Thanks John

jtkplc
09-12-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm pleased with my Pro-H 1536. I haven't used any other hydro walk-behind to know how it compares. I don't see 8.5 mph much, normally only for transport. The ProSteer is awesome. The J-pin height adjustment is quick and simple. My 36" is light in the front end, obviously, so I've added some counter weights, and could probably add more. I personally wish it had at least 17 hp. Pulling me on my Proslide and mulching thick grass, it bogs down. The cut quality is pretty darn good, not as good as the grass height you're cutting increases, where it will leave a few uncut blades of grass. It doesn't seem to collect grass under the deck nearly as fast as my 260Z, not sure why exactly, but it's nice.

John Gamba
09-12-2006, 08:21 PM
I'm pleased with my Pro-H 1536. I haven't used any other hydro walk-behind to know how it compares. I don't see 8.5 mph much, normally only for transport. The ProSteer is awesome. The J-pin height adjustment is quick and simple. My 36" is light in the front end, obviously, so I've added some counter weights, and could probably add more. I personally wish it had at least 17 hp. Pulling me on my Proslide and mulching thick grass, it bogs down. The cut quality is pretty darn good, not as good as the grass height you're cutting increases, where it will leave a few uncut blades of grass. It doesn't seem to collect grass under the deck nearly as fast as my 260Z, not sure why exactly, but it's nice.

Thank you.

I have now a 15/48 gear drive that is cutting great with the exmark solid lift blades.

I do want to get the hydro 17/48 for the spring of 07 and would like to see if everybody's happy with there's. I love the deeper deck on the gravely its like the ultracut.
John

Dashunde
09-12-2006, 08:46 PM
John, let me preface this by saying overall I do like my 15/48 hydro with pistols.
AND, Gravely has very good customer service and seems to be a great company that cares.

But...
I'm not overly thrilled with the cut I get from my mower, everything has been dialed in, a great OCDC, running doubles with amazing lift (yes it has enough power), yet it just isnt coming up with a "very nice cut".
ALTHOUGH... I cut 90% thin bladed Kentucky and that might be why I'm not doing backflips for its cut.
On thicker bladed turf the cut is pretty good, but still not as good as I'd like.
It discharges a country mile, yet I still end up double cutting several of my accounts.

The J-pin deck adjustment is very cool. With it, I cant see any reason for a floating deck (had a floater first, it didnt do squat except change height easily).

It's built pretty well and I have had no problems with it whatsoever.

With pistols and the wide-tracking wheel/motor mounts it is very stable on hills, not terribly twitchy, and is pretty easy to operate.
Keep in mind that part of its stability is due to the pistols, I can bear down on it for extra traction. The same can not be said for the Pro-Steer hydro set-up. I had it and hated it.

It has very good balance... enough weight up front to pull my 220 lbs up hills without much of a wheelie, yet with the pistols I can also push down to lift the deck to avoid discharging clippings during a turn.
It simply does what I ask it to do in this respect.

With a thick truck mudflap it strips absurdly well.
(If you go the Gravely route, set a heavy flap to 2-2.5" inches up at your favorite cut height.)

In short, I'd give it a "B", maybe a B+.

OnMyOwn
09-12-2006, 10:15 PM
I currently have a 1548 Prosteer that is awesome. I love the cut and power. I had a 1752 which I had to sell two years ago. I think I liked the power of the 17 over the 15, and it was also a Prosteer. Both mowers lay down an incredible stripe and are easy to handle. I am a big Gravely fan.

one man gang
09-12-2006, 11:07 PM
If you own one or have owned one please let me know how you liked it. How is that mower at 8.5 mph.

Thanks John

I have the H1752 pistol(3rd season) and has served me quite well but as usual could use more HP. As far as the 8.5 mhp, there are two settings for the tension spring on the speed control plate(on mine anyway) and I've only had it on high speed once and it was very difficult to control, pistols were very hard to squeeze and it out ran the cut. The slower setting is about 6 mph. Still plenty fast. The 8.5 mhp is not practical IMO. I could only see it working on big areas with long stretches and very smooth turf.

John Gamba
09-13-2006, 06:46 AM
I have the H1752 pistol(3rd season) and has served me quite well but as usual could use more HP. As far as the 8.5 mhp, there are two settings for the tension spring on the speed control plate(on mine anyway) and I've only had it on high speed once and it was very difficult to control, pistols were very hard to squeeze and it out ran the cut. The slower setting is about 6 mph. Still plenty fast. The 8.5 mhp is not practical IMO. I could only see it working on big areas with long stretches and very smooth turf.

They make a kit that will let you go from 0 to 8.5 by just sliding the leavers up. Look under accessory's.

John Gamba
09-13-2006, 06:50 AM
John, let me preface this by saying overall I do like my 15/48 hydro with pistols.
AND, Gravely has very good customer service and seems to be a great company that cares.

But...
I'm not overly thrilled with the cut I get from my mower, everything has been dialed in, a great OCDC, running doubles with amazing lift (yes it has enough power), yet it just isnt coming up with a "very nice cut".
ALTHOUGH... I cut 90% thin bladed Kentucky and that might be why I'm not doing backflips for its cut.
On thicker bladed turf the cut is pretty good, but still not as good as I'd like.
It discharges a country mile, yet I still end up double cutting several of my accounts.

The J-pin deck adjustment is very cool. With it, I cant see any reason for a floating deck (had a floater first, it didnt do squat except change height easily).

It's built pretty well and I have had no problems with it whatsoever.

With pistols and the wide-tracking wheel/motor mounts it is very stable on hills, not terribly twitchy, and is pretty easy to operate.
Keep in mind that part of its stability is due to the pistols, I can bear down on it for extra traction. The same can not be said for the Pro-Steer hydro set-up. I had it and hated it.

It has very good balance... enough weight up front to pull my 220 lbs up hills without much of a wheelie, yet with the pistols I can also push down to lift the deck to avoid discharging clippings during a turn.
It simply does what I ask it to do in this respect.

With a thick truck mudflap it strips absurdly well.
(If you go the Gravely route, set a heavy flap to 2-2.5" inches up at your favorite cut height.)

In short, I'd give it a "B", maybe a B+.

Do me a favor---get a set of exmarks solid lift blades and try them, they worked great for me. When i got the mower it would leave two strips of uncut grass, when i changed blades it now leaves a finish that would scare the ultracut.

Now for the floating deck, in my neck of the woods its necessary. The 15 kaw does have some power and it sips fuel.

Thanks john

John Gamba
09-13-2006, 06:53 AM
I currently have a 1548 Prosteer that is awesome. I love the cut and power. I had a 1752 which I had to sell two years ago. I think I liked the power of the 17 over the 15, and it was also a Prosteer. Both mowers lay down an incredible stripe and are easy to handle. I am a big Gravely fan.

My first mower was a gravely:) and i loved it. it was a pro-150-50. One other thing!! i need in my area the deeper deck, they are the only ones besides exmark and deere to have this.

John

Dashunde
09-13-2006, 09:31 AM
John, I am running those solid foil exmark blades.

John Gamba
09-13-2006, 09:36 AM

Since i put them on my mower, the cut is great.The notched high lifts wouldn't pick up the caster wheel grass.

dwost
09-13-2006, 11:07 AM

John and I have had great success with the eXmarks, if they aren't working for you I'd give the Husqvarna blades a shot. From what I've heard their foil is even longer than the eXmarks. I may pick up a set of those as well for comparison but personally It will be hard to beat the cut I have know. As John alluded to, it will scare not only the ULtracut but I think any other deck on the market. BTW, my yard is 100% kb as well.

John Gamba
09-13-2006, 12:29 PM
John and I have had great success with the eXmarks, if they aren't working for you I'd give the Husqvarna blades a shot. From what I've heard their foil is even longer than the eXmarks. I may pick up a set of those as well for comparison but personally It will be hard to beat the cut I have know. As John alluded to, it will scare not only the ULtracut but I think any other deck on the market. BTW, my yard is 100% kb as well.

I just got back, what a nice cut but boy do i need a hydro*trucewhiteflag*

Dashunde
09-13-2006, 08:33 PM
I'm running those exmarks as doubles.
It's lift and discharge is incredible, It'll even suck the turf in thats laying down and hanging over the curb, plus it will suck stuff up and out of the gutter when I pass along the curb.
Vacume and lift are not a problem at all.
And your right, I did notice a large improvement with these blades, even run as singles.
Considering how it was, the cut is much better now.
Most of my bichin stems from the tight trouble lawns I've mentioned before.

dwost
09-13-2006, 08:44 PM
I'm running those exmarks as doubles.
It's lift and discharge is incredible, It'll even suck the turf in thats laying down and hanging over the curb, plus it will suck stuff up and out of the gutter when I pass along the curb.
Vacume and lift are not a problem at all.
And your right, I did notice a large improvement with these blades, even run as singles.
Considering how it was, the cut is much better now.
Most of my bichin stems from the tight trouble lawns I've mentioned before.

Out of curiosity, what are you running on top of the eXmarks? Gators, stock notched hi lifts??

Thanks

John Gamba
09-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Out of curiosity, what are you running on top of the eXmarks? Gators, stock notched hi lifts??

Thanks

Yeah!! Give it to us:cool2:

Dashunde
09-14-2006, 09:28 AM
I'm just running two sets of the solid foil exmarks...
Using an impact gun has kept them aligned just fine.

dwost
09-14-2006, 10:00 AM
I'm just running two sets of the solid foil exmarks...
Using an impact gun has kept them aligned just fine.

Yup........that would do it. :clapping:
:drinkup:

Woody_1
08-27-2008, 10:03 PM

Thanks John

I know this is an old thread, but I just bought a 1748 prosteer. Great mower!

dwost
08-27-2008, 10:44 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I just bought a 1748 prosteer. Great mower!

Congrats!! You will love the mower. Mine has performed flawlessly for the last 7 years!!.........although I'm only running a belt. You definitely have one of the best walks on the market. The cut is beautiful, enjoy!!

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Anthrassat/Lawn/DSC00502.jpg

Woody_1
08-28-2008, 02:35 AM
What do you know about using exmark blades on these mowers?
Thanks!

brucec32
08-28-2008, 02:45 AM
FYI, I use Exmark mulching blades on a Gravely 44" (uses same blade as 48") 144z deck and performance was vastly improved vs gravely supplied mulching blades from the mulching kit, in terms of lift to suck up leaves and stand up floppy grass. I also use the Exmark regular high lift blades when discharging and its discharge performance is excellent, though it doesn't have the lift it does on the Exmark for some reason. Not sure how the wb and rider decks differ, however.

dwost
08-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Those are the eXmark solid foil hi lifts that I run on mine. I have regular lift gators stacked on top and the results are great. Even solo they are awesome.

Woody_1
08-28-2008, 09:16 AM
FYI, I use Exmark mulching blades on a Gravely 44" (uses same blade as 48") 144z deck and performance was vastly improved vs gravely supplied mulching blades from the mulching kit, in terms of lift to suck up leaves and stand up floppy grass. I also use the Exmark regular high lift blades when discharging and its discharge performance is excellent, though it doesn't have the lift it does on the Exmark for some reason. Not sure how the wb and rider decks differ, however.

So I just go to the Exmark dealer and get a set of mulching blades, right?
I have the mulch kit on the Gravely 48", with their mulching blades. Seems to do a good job on making the grass disappear, but you like the lift even better from the Exmark blades?

dmaxman
08-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Do any of you guys actually buy the eXmark blades or do you buy aftermarket blades?

dwost
08-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Aftermarket from Mowmore is where I got mine.

Woody_1
08-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Is this the one you like over the Gravely "wavey" mulch blade?

http://www.mowmore.com/index.cfm?currentpage=3&fuseaction=category.display&category_id=184

Exmark EX11240 Replacement Blade
Product ID: EX11240
Replaces O.E.M. #103-6391. Length 16-1/4", Center Hole 15/16", Width 2-1/2", Thickness .204. (3) blades for 48" cut. Mulching blade.

Woody_1
08-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Is this the one you like over the Gravely "wavey" mulch blade?

Exmark EX11240 Replacement Blade
Product ID: EX11240
Replaces O.E.M. #103-6391. Length 16-1/4", Center Hole 15/16", Width 2-1/2", Thickness .204. (3) blades for 48" cut. Mulching blade.

Picture from website: