PDA

View Full Version : pavers in winter

JB926
09-12-2006, 07:51 PM
what is everyones opinion of doing a paver driveway in winter now im not talking about 20 below. Either early winter or late winter. What are the pros and cons any help is appreciated

YardPro
09-12-2006, 07:56 PM
other than how it affects YOU, i can't see any issues

tylermckee
09-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Has a big impact on what you can and cant do. Do you get much rain? rain will be hell, everything will turn to mud, you wont be able to drive trucks where you want, you'll want to keep piles of material covered so they dont get too wet. you wont be nearly as productive as you are in the summer so take that into account as the weather starts getting worse.

YardPro
09-12-2006, 09:08 PM
does rain not create mud in the summer?

orionkf
09-12-2006, 10:25 PM
does rain not create mud in the summer?

Yes, but it dries much quicker, whereas it might be muddy for days after a rain in the winter. So you get rain once a week, and it could be muddy all winter long. Plus, the ground is so dry to start with in the summer.

tylermckee
09-13-2006, 08:58 PM
We have had something like 1/8" of rain in the last 80 days so, yeah, the rain does not create mud in the summer, I don't know your climate.

richallseasons
09-13-2006, 09:40 PM
I will do it as long as the weather permits,last year we did a small retainig wall in the end of december when we had a warm spell.

Mike33
09-13-2006, 09:57 PM
I dont do pavers but do build walls. I did one 2 winters ago in Feb. it was warm and seen the weather for a week was good and was okey. But like someone said if it rains it will not dry up as fast as in summer. Also i would not want a mees that could last 3 months. Face it you could start and if it snowed and stayed cold you could be screwed for months. Then your talking about a guys driveway messed up for a long time, that could be very embarrasing to you. I shut down in mid. november and enjoy my winter months off except i plow snow when it happens any more. Thats why we work long hours in the summer and learn how to manage our money to get us thru winter.
Mike

JB926
09-15-2006, 06:50 PM
what if I tarped the excavated driveway to prevent it from getting wet?

kootoomootoo
09-15-2006, 09:34 PM
Biggest problem is gravel freezes before you can do anything with it.

AztlanLC
09-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Sometimes you have to do jobs on special conditions.
But a driveway would mean attention and more chance of failure if not done properly.
If soil has no proper moisture compaction will not be acchieved propertly. also if ground freezes that is worse.
I have seen companies done driveway in the winter months but they have the equipment, skills and labor to finish it as quick as possible.