PDA

View Full Version : problem with Z matting grass down and not getting cut

precisongreen32
09-12-2006, 11:06 PM
I was just wondering if any 1 has ever ran into this problem? I have a small 48" 2000 scag super z and the front tires seem to run over the grass smash it down and when the deck goes over the grass it dont cut it cuz it is flattened to the ground, the lift of the blades dont suck it back up cut it. Any helpfull thoughts on how to avoid this would be a big help.

Runner
09-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Is it a trugreen lawn?

par69
09-12-2006, 11:51 PM
Yes I had that problem with my Fasttrack.

I bought a John Deere that cuts better. I have not had a real test with wet grass. I hope it works better than my Fasttrack.

Envy Lawn Service
09-13-2006, 12:27 AM
Well the first thing I have to ask is....

Did this just crop up?
Is it happening on just one lawn?

The reason is, USUALLY this is an issue that comes along with changing conditions.

Rain, cloudy weather, shady areas, cooling temperatures, higher growth, heavy succulant growth....

I have found that the best thing you can do for severe cases is "back-cut"...

What I mean by that is drive in the exact same tracks as last time, but cutting in the opposite direction of travel.

This way, the smashed down grass is leaning towards you as you are cutting instead of away. The deck will pull it back upright and cut it off. Then repeat the same pattern again a second week, or cross-cut it and you're looking good.

Scotts' Yard Care
09-13-2006, 12:48 AM
Overgrowth every time, at least in our area. Some of our customers think they're growing a hay crop instead of a lawn. Proper watering and fertilizing will cure this but try telling Mr. Nitrogen Boy with his automatic sprinkler that! We see other companies with the same problem; ruts in the turf and other tell tale signs so we're not alone. We routinely have a few lawns that are 6-7 inches tall and dripping wet because the sprinkler just went off a few minutes before we come to mow.

DuraCutter
09-13-2006, 01:00 AM
I was just wondering if any 1 has ever ran into this problem? I have a small 48" 2000 scag super z and the front tires seem to run over the grass smash it down and when the deck goes over the grass it dont cut it cuz it is flattened to the ground, the lift of the blades dont suck it back up cut it. Any helpfull thoughts on how to avoid this would be a big help.

Well, no one has mentioned a front mount mower, like the John Deere F1145.
72" deck that sits ahead of the front wheels.

We also use the Stiga mower. Not a commercial mower, but the deck sits ahead of the wheels. Eliminates that problem and is so much sweeter to cut with. :)

Envy Lawn Service
09-13-2006, 01:26 AM
We also use the Stiga mower. Not a commercial mower, but the deck sits ahead of the wheels. Eliminates that problem and is so much sweeter to cut with. :)

Those are cool... like a one-off of the Swedish Rider.

I wouldn't mind having the 4wd model at all.

Boy I'd like to see one of those in a 60 in (152.4 cm) or larger.
AND with a tractor frame about that wide tire-to-tire also...

DuraCutter
09-13-2006, 01:44 AM
Those are cool... like a one-off of the Swedish Rider.

I wouldn't mind having the 4wd model at all.

Boy I'd like to see one of those in a 60 in (152.4 cm) or larger.
AND with a tractor frame about that wide tire-to-tire also...

Yeah, the 4x4 would be really nice as traction can be a problem when turning tight even on dry grass. Pricey though. We have 7 of those little buggers, and one of them is a parts gopher cause they're not commercially tough so, and also it's expensive to buy even belts... like $300 or more. :dizzy:

lol, I've had to weld, hammer, apply wood dowlings to the mower deck to keep it going... it works though when you Tim tool it...:)

I would love a larger one with power steering also as they are a challenge to turn. Provides a good upper body work out.

My best mower by far with the JD F1145 close behind.

Envy Lawn Service
09-13-2006, 01:56 AM
Otherwise though... how does the Combi deck perform at cutting and mulching?

DuraCutter
09-14-2006, 12:09 AM
Otherwise though... how does the Combi deck perform at cutting and mulching?

It's not a bad cut, not great, but ok. All it does is mulch, there is no way of bagging with the Stiga. Btw, it is made in europe and doesn't seem to sell well here in North America. No dealers left around here.

Envy Lawn Service
09-14-2006, 01:04 AM
Yeah, big in Europe... a flop in the US (husqvarna version)... I think because...

1) Husqvarna sucks for warranty service

2) Lack of a 4wd option when released (yes they have 4wd now, but too late)

The deck looks like it could mulch good... and some of them have a plug you can remove to rear discharge.

tacoma200
09-14-2006, 01:11 AM
Are you running high lifts? If not do so.

precisongreen32
09-16-2006, 11:26 PM
ok thanks for the replys

yes it happens on alot of my lawns and yes alot of them are pretyy long when i cut them and i am running double low lifts.

Envy Lawn Service
09-17-2006, 12:50 AM
ok thanks for the replys

yes it happens on alot of my lawns and yes alot of them are pretyy long when i cut them and i am running double low lifts.

Try the back-cut to get things straightened back out and also try just a single highlift.

Sometime you can get the deck to sucking in too much air... more than it can blow out in a smooth cycle. When the air can't get out fast enough any other way... it has nowhere to go but down. Bounces off the underneath and blows the turf down.

ITL
09-17-2006, 11:01 PM
PrecisionGreen 32

Try single high lifts with sharp blades as was suggested and make sure engine speed is correct to make sure you are at correct spindle speed. Keep the deck clean if it is clogging. Double low lifts might not work the best in the conditions you are seeing. Spend some time experimenting with different blade setups to know the best for each condition. We had to much underdeck grass blowout with double (lower high lift and upper gater blade). Back to single sharp high lift when heavy wet growth is present. Possibly will use double setup when mulching dry leaves in fall.