PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About A Walker

indy2tall
09-12-2006, 10:38 PM
I am thinking of purchasing a Walker for next years mowing season so I need to find out a few things. For those of you who have actually used a Walker for at least one mowing season would you please comment on the following questions and thanks in advance for your help.

1. How did it compare to your other mowers when it came to leaving ruts in soggy wet yards?

2. What was your rational for initially buying a Walker (saving time, better cut, etc.) and did it turn out that way?

3. Was your Walker your main mower or was it only used for certain customers?

4. Did your Walker make it easier, harder, or about the same to maneuver in and out of tight spaces compared to your other mowers?

5. If you could start from scratch would you buy a Walker again and if not why?

REALSLOW
09-12-2006, 10:48 PM
I have never owned one but everybody I know who does says they are great. My dealer sells them and says they are the best cutting mower he has ever used but thet are not near as productive as the Hustler he sells.

Jason Rose
09-12-2006, 11:25 PM
1. They do fairly well in wet lawns, more tires to dispurse the weight.

2. I bought my Walker thinking it was going to magically get me more business I guess... I see the other LCO's locally that have walkers and they seem to flourish. They do deliever a nice cut, BUT only if you are willing to go SLOW. Trying to run a walker at mid-mount speeds will leave a poor cut. Plan on MORE time per site using a walker over a mid-mount due to the speed and the extra time it takes to dump the hopper. If it's dewy, or raining plan on not cuting till it dries out some (read as more time).

3. I had "planned" to make my walker my main mower but quickly realized there was not enough hours in the day for that. My main mower was a 50" ZTR and I knew how much time it took to get thru my route, With the walker the time was out of control. I started using my old ZTR on more and more properties, starting with the larger ones where the walker was least productive.

4. Really depends a lot on your previous mower here. My 50" machines were very compact and honestly I saw no real change in where I could fit the machine into. Not having a blower hanging off the side of the deck IS nice though. Your real limitations come when you get to hills and ditches. Suddenly you can't go places you have always been mowing before with no problems on the ZTR.

5. If I could go back, I'd never buy a 48" walker for my self. I had mine for about a year and sold it 3 years ago. Since then I have bought another walker though, but this time a 36". It can go thru most any gate and does the cleanest job on small lawns Iv'e ever seen. This is truely a machine I wish I had bought 5 years ago.

turf dog
09-12-2006, 11:35 PM
I own the 42" ghs walker and really like it. Jason is right to get the best cut you can't go very fast and it is time consuming. For me the machine really shines at fall leaf cleanup. I have been using the walker as my main mower. IF I had to do it again I would still buy the walker. But I did just purchase a Quick 36 Samurai as my backup mower and my mower for small properties and houses with gates that I can't get my walker into.

Ron's Lawncare
09-13-2006, 07:09 AM
I am thinking of purchasing a Walker for next years mowing season so I need to find out a few things. For those of you who have actually used a Walker for at least one mowing season would you please comment on the following questions and thanks in advance for your help.

1. How did it compare to your other mowers when it came to leaving ruts in
soggy wet yards?

if you get the low profile tires, they float really well. also the walker has 6 wheels to distribute the weight better.

2. What was your rational for initially buying a Walker (saving time, better cut, etc.) and did it turn out that way?

biggest reason is the need for a bagging machine, the walker is the standard around here.

3. Was your Walker your main mower or was it only used for certain
customers?

the walker is my main mower.

4. Did your Walker make it easier, harder, or about the same to maneuver in and out of tight spaces compared to your other mowers?

it's as maneuverable as a ztr the only thing to watch for is hitting things with the hopper due to the drive wheels bieng in the center. it is better at trimming than a ztr for two reasons, first it has an out front deck alowing you to get under things.second you can trim on both sides of the deck(no discharge chute to get in the way.

5. If you could start from scratch would you buy a Walker again and if not
why?

yes i will always have at least one walker type mower.

corey1977
09-13-2006, 08:43 PM
and also you can get Big side discharge decks for walkers I no some guys that carry them on the trailer and change them over for mowing lager poperties when needed

ed2hess
09-13-2006, 09:23 PM
We have a lot of different mowers but last year I got a chance to buy a repo Walker for a very low price. It is a 36" unit with bagger deck and 20hp. We only use this unit if we absolutely need to bag or when we are mowing on properties with small spaces. It does give a good quality. I like the idea that I can pick up trash from the seat. We have a curb hopper device so we can get onto medias in shopping centers so I mow some areas normally done with a 21". I don't like the fact that you have to buy 3 very expensive decks to switch from sidedischarge to mulching to bagging. In wide open spaces I like the units like Scag that gets the job done faster.

Cobra Jock
09-13-2006, 09:52 PM
I would highly recommend the Walker if you have some nice properties to mow that you want to make look nice and you aren't concerned with the speed. However, I would never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever buy the 26 EFI POS. Walker and the other manufacturers should be ashamed of themselves for putting that junk out there on the market! I know alot of people will get on here and tell you to go for the efi, but I'd personally stay away from them. The biggest and best reason for that is the mechanics that typically work on these machines know nothing whatsoever about efi. Do you really want to spend 9K on a mower that the dealer, in a large majority of the cases, can't fix!:hammerhead: Buy a 20HP with either the 36 or the 42 deck! My .02

greg

mojob
09-13-2006, 10:34 PM
1. They do fairly well in wet lawns, more tires to dispurse the weight.

2. I bought my Walker thinking it was going to magically get me more business I guess... I see the other LCO's locally that have walkers and they seem to flourish. They do deliever a nice cut, BUT only if you are willing to go SLOW. Trying to run a walker at mid-mount speeds will leave a poor cut. Plan on MORE time per site using a walker over a mid-mount due to the speed and the extra time it takes to dump the hopper. If it's dewy, or raining plan on not cuting till it dries out some (read as more time).

3. I had "planned" to make my walker my main mower but quickly realized there was not enough hours in the day for that. My main mower was a 50" ZTR and I knew how much time it took to get thru my route, With the walker the time was out of control. I started using my old ZTR on more and more properties, starting with the larger ones where the walker was least productive.

4. Really depends a lot on your previous mower here. My 50" machines were very compact and honestly I saw no real change in where I could fit the machine into. Not having a blower hanging off the side of the deck IS nice though. Your real limitations come when you get to hills and ditches. Suddenly you can't go places you have always been mowing before with no problems on the ZTR.

5. If I could go back, I'd never buy a 48" walker for my self. I had mine for about a year and sold it 3 years ago. Since then I have bought another walker though, but this time a 36". It can go thru most any gate and does the cleanest job on small lawns Iv'e ever seen. This is truely a machine I wish I had bought 5 years ago.
Why didn't you just buy a 36" deck and switch it out with the 48" when needed.

Jason Rose
09-13-2006, 11:18 PM
Why didn't you just buy a 36" deck and switch it out with the 48" when needed.

Can't do that with the wide tires that are on the 48" models. Tires would be quite a bit wider then the deck... There was also about 3 years between the 2 mowers.

Plus, have you EVER switched a deck on a walker??? Iv'e had to remove the 48" deck and replace it a couple times and I thought I was in hell! Trying to get the 2 pins that the deck slides on and the drive shaft all lined up at once:dizzy: :hammerhead: Then once you get them started you really need TWO people to get it slid on there. Felt like I had been lifting weights for half an hour, oh wait, I was!

evergreenedmond
09-13-2006, 11:34 PM
1. you can still mow in wet conditions it's better than a ZTR but worse than a 21"
2. I bought mine for HOAs where we mow 50-60 homes in 1 day & are required to bag
3. Walker is not our main mower only used on properties that need bagging & are too large to 21
4. I have noticed that my operator has more problems tha other ZTRs in tight spots
5. I wish I had bought one earlier it saves me $100s per week in labor

If you are looking for a do all ZTR a walker is not for you, but if you are looking to add a premium cut finish mower to your fleet I would definatelly recommend buying one.

green acres lawns
09-14-2006, 12:06 AM
I had just about retired my walker since I got the tiger cub. But tonight my ex-boss called (as he does every year about this time) to have his immaculate yard dethatched and bagged. Time is not a factor on this yard, but it has to be perfect and the walker is the only mower I would trust to put on this yard and not leave any marks. He also calls me to do his leaf cleanup.

dwc
09-14-2006, 11:08 PM

1. How did it compare to your other mowers when it came to leaving ruts in soggy wet yards?

1. The walker with the wide tires on the drive wheels does not rut bad, it will leave muddy tracks on the grass before it ruts.

2. I bought the walker because most every yard i do is high maintenance and I wanted to set myself apart from the competition. Around here we have bermuda and I have ran other Z's and they will tear up a bermuda lawn in no time. Plus, I put my Walker on 1-3K foot front lawns all day long that I would not dream of putting a Z on.

3. My Walker is my main mower, I sometimes wish I had a Z to knock down some empty lots I have to mow, just because I dont want to chance tearing something up on it.

4. The Walker is different to run, but once you get the hang of it you can outmow a Z on a 0-15K lawn. Sure a Z is gonna run off and hide on a wide open flat couple acres. I put the speed up kit on mine and it helped tremendously.

5. I would definitely buy a Walker again and will be trading the one I have now next year for another one.

Walker's are for a certain niche. The guy's with Dixies mowing large acreages hate them, but us guy's who mow smaller landscaped lawns love them. I like the fact that the cut quality is BETTER than a 21". There are a lot of guys in my area running 21's and I can outmow them (even with 3 guys on 21's) and mine looks nicer when i am done.
The largest lawn I mow is about 2 acres and most of my lawns are about 5-10K. They are all chopped up and lanscaped so the Walker fits my purpose well.

Olylawnboy
09-15-2006, 12:31 AM
Walker, there is no substitute :)

Echelon
09-15-2006, 12:36 AM
Plus, have you EVER switched a deck on a walker??? Iv'e had to remove the 48" deck and replace it a couple times and I thought I was in hell! Trying to get the 2 pins that the deck slides on and the drive shaft all lined up at once:dizzy: :hammerhead: Then once you get them started you really need TWO people to get it slid on there. Felt like I had been lifting weights for half an hour, oh wait, I was!
ive switched decks on the walker myself before and i weigh about 145lbs. just have to put the deck against a wall, line up the pins and shaft and get them started a little, then get on the machine and drive it together. gently of course:)

Jason Rose
09-15-2006, 12:45 AM
ive switched decks on the walker myself before and i weigh about 145lbs. just have to put the deck against a wall, line up the pins and shaft and get them started a little, then get on the machine and drive it together. gently of course:)

lol! well that's exactly what I had to do on my 48" I was going to say that, but I thought maybe it was wrong or possibly could break something so i didn't want to say it. The 36" is lighter by far...

Just thought today though... Is the deck supposed to be hanging in the frame when you try to mount the deck frame to the mower??? Seems like it would be a ton easier if you pulled the pins from the deck and left it sit, then the deck hanger frame could be put in place then lift up the frame and slide the deck under it, or drive the mower to it, drop it back over the pins and just lift one side at a time to put your height pins in place. Seems that hooking up the shaft would be easier if the deck was on the floor anyway, more hand room in there. Iv'e never seen "proper deck removal and instillation procedures" from walker!

stpamo
09-20-2006, 01:27 AM

I am down here in somewhat tropical southwest Florida where the St. Augustine is thick a he11! The yards are always wet in the summer and Walker leaves no ruts. The walker is the lightest sit down mower on the market. Around 850 pounds with a big deck and no fat guy sitting on it. My rationale for buying 2 Walkers is the cut is the best. The only thing close is Grasshopper or Zipper. Probably because they are front deck mount. I have a 56" deck and 42" mulching. The 56" is the workhorse. Maneuverability is superior because extremely low center of gravity and it turns more efficiently than midmounts without turf damage (if you know how). If I could start over I would get the 25hp so I could use the 52" mulching kit.Quicker than the 42and does not sacrifice quality. For quality of cut there is no equal. For speed well, my goodness are they slow!:dizzy: