PDA

View Full Version : Bunton or Bobcat

jmq
09-13-2006, 12:29 AM
Does anyone have any feedback on Bunton or Bobcat ZTR'S?

ThirdDay
09-13-2006, 07:14 AM
Big changes are probably coming as Jacobsen has sold them to Little Wonder.

Time will tell but this could be bad for both lines..

Tharrell
09-13-2006, 07:29 AM
I disagree, they wouldn't have bought them just to destroy them. They've been bought and sold before and they only got better. If anything, it could enhance the distribution. Now, if they had been sold to MTD I would be very concerned.
Back to the posters question, both are excellent machines with subtle differences. Bunton is leaning more to the estate owner but can still handle commercial work. For some reason, a comparable Bunton model is a little cheaper price wise than Bob-Cat. I have 2 Bob-Cats and am very satisfied with all aspects of them.

chickenman68
09-13-2006, 07:37 AM
i just purchased a Bunton BZT 2330 with the 33horse Generac..its the exact same mower as the Bobcat Predator Pro..mine has the 61" deck...only reason i chose the bunton over the bobcat is that i got it for 1,000 cheaper..the distributor that sold me mine also sells the bobcats to the dealer here..he told me the only difference was the sticker's and the shade of green paint this year...i absolutly love mine...it is a HOSS...i looked at every brand out there before buying this machine...and this mower has all the bells and whistles of the other's..more than alot and is built like a tank..plus it didnt hurt that i got it for 7,500 bucks..which is considerably cheaper than anything else anywhere near the same size of mower...good luck on your decision

J&R Landscaping
09-13-2006, 08:29 AM
I think that little wonders purchasing of bobcat, bunton, ryan etc will ony strenghten the product and make them more of a player with commercial guys. The bobcats and buntons are nice mowers. I like the fact that the riders have the larger 5 lug wheels and the suspension seat i really nice. I am still warming up to the generac engines though, I feel they are a good engine but support is what concerns me.

naturescape
09-13-2006, 08:56 AM
I have a 2005 Bunton, but it's a walk behind with the z controls.

But this is the greatest cutting deck I have ever seen! It's fantastic, I'm sure the decks on the riders are great too, should be the same deck on the Bunton as the Bobcat.

Amazing, even discharge without throwing the clippings accross the street as my ExMark does. And I can get away with a mulch kit on the deck better than any other machine I've used if I need to in summer. I've used Snapper, ExM, and Scag, 36s and 48s.

pugs
09-13-2006, 09:07 AM
Our distributor seemed to think the Bunton name was going away since they are the same machines. They had been trying to clear out alot of Bunton stock they had laying around. But that doesnt seem to be the case.

I would think generally Bobcat is the cheaper machine. Bunton adds larger fuel tanks, a light and an electric lift on top of what a Bobcat already is. Unless those items are no longer standard pieces on the Bunton.

They have sold the ZTR's under a few of their other names as well...all the same machines. They started painting the Buntons Red for a while and calling them Jacobsens. If you poke around the Steiner website you will see a pic of a ZTR in Steiner badges. All the same machine, just different colors.

Groomer
09-13-2006, 09:10 AM
naturescape, funny you mention the "clippings across the street" thing with the exmarks. That would be my only complaint about an otherwise awesome mower. Takes a little longer with the blower sometimes!

Willofalltrades
09-13-2006, 11:28 AM
I REALLY liked the bunton 48" walkbehind with the Z controles. It looked like a solid money maker. To bad they seriously wanted $7500 for it.

I'm hoping they (little wonder) put more engine options and an updated cutting platform on both machines.

grassmanvt
09-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Our distributor seemed to think the Bunton name was going away since they are the same machines. They had been trying to clear out alot of Bunton stock they had laying around. But that doesnt seem to be the case.

I would think generally Bobcat is the cheaper machine. Bunton adds larger fuel tanks, a light and an electric lift on top of what a Bobcat already is. Unless those items are no longer standard pieces on the Bunton.

Thats how it is around here, usually the bunton was a more expensive machine do to the extras that were standard. The rest of the machines are identical. As far as the machines, after owning 5 bunton z's, I'm a big believer in the bunton/bobcat brands. I've also owned a early deere mid mount z, a toro, a cub, and demoed a gravely but, the bunton's have always seemed to be a better fit to my needs.

pugs
09-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Thats how it is around here, usually the bunton was a more expensive machine do to the extras that were standard. The rest of the machines are identical. As far as the machines, after owning 5 bunton z's, I'm a big believer in the bunton/bobcat brands. I've also owned a early deere mid mount z, a toro, a cub, and demoed a gravely but, the bunton's have always seemed to be a better fit to my needs.

Yah, thats the reason we dont do anything with Bunton. I think we could if we wanted to but they are the same machine with add ons that most commercial guys wouldnt want anyway. And the electric lift I guess is an option that can be added to the bobcat anyway in a kit.

grassmanvt
09-13-2006, 12:59 PM
Yah, thats the reason we dont do anything with Bunton. I think we could if we wanted to but they are the same machine with add ons that most commercial guys wouldnt want anyway. And the electric lift I guess is an option that can be added to the bobcat anyway in a kit.

To me, the electric lift and larger tanks (which I think bobcat has larger tanks on their bigger models now) were well worth the extra money. The lift I would really hate to be without and the larger tanks combined with the efi engines mean we can usually go an extra day between fillups compared to some of the other units I had. If it saves 15 minutes, two or sometimes three times a week, over 24 or so weeks, times two guys at the station, that really makes a big differance over the season.

pugs
09-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Are they still offering the EFI engine on the Buntons?

Bobcat keeps changing whats available...they drop the diesel...then its back...this year it seemed they were dropping the EFI...I am sure it will be back too.

grassmanvt
09-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Are they still offering the EFI engine on the Buntons?

Bobcat keeps changing whats available...they drop the diesel...then its back...this year it seemed they were dropping the EFI...I am sure it will be back too.

I originally had 26 efis, but bought two two ones last year and they have gone to 28 efis, as far as I know they are still available with the 28 kohler efis.

naturescape
09-13-2006, 02:46 PM
naturescape, funny you mention the "clippings across the street" thing with the exmarks. That would be my only complaint about an otherwise awesome mower. Takes a little longer with the blower sometimes!

Well my other complaint is how the ExM handles scattered leaves. Doesn't matter what blade or blade combo (doubles) i use, it basically BLOWS out the leaves instead of finely cutting them as the other machines I have used have done. But Exmarks ARE awesome machines overall! Just not the best anymore, IMO.

naturescape
09-13-2006, 02:47 PM
I REALLY liked the bunton 48" walkbehind with the Z controles. It looked like a solid money maker. To bad they seriously wanted $7500 for it.

I'm hoping they (little wonder) put more engine options and an updated cutting platform on both machines.

Well I spent the cash for it, and in the long term I'm glad I did! NEVER any tired hands anymore, even at the end of a LONG day!

pugs
09-13-2006, 05:54 PM
I originally had 26 efis, but bought two two ones last year and they have gone to 28 efis, as far as I know they are still available with the 28 kohler efis.

Yah, Bobcat did the same thing. Actually I think my distributor still had some 26's left over they were trying to get rid of. But they seemed to also be closing out the 28's this year and the list of what was currently available besides closeouts did not have an EFI on it...I dont even think there was a 72 on it besides the Generac models...

I really dont sell many ZTR's where I am. Most small guys here are looking for walk behinds and the larger people are all moving to Wright Standers.

jmq
09-13-2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback.....now next question? Red Max or Shindawa?????

Mike's Lawn & Snow
09-13-2006, 08:54 PM
yea i got a 36 a 48 with bunton z controls and a 52 bunton rider i love them all wouldnt trade them for any other machines and had never had a problem with them!! AWESOME

GreenN'Clean
11-15-2006, 01:17 PM
I have a Bunton 61" ztr and i love it, its an awesome mower and is built pretty tough! It has a great cut on it and never scalps the lawn and is a very fast and reliable machine. I also have a 60" cub cadet tank and i think its pretty close to the bunton as far as cutting and being built tough. I also have a 52" cub cadet walk behind that i recommend as well, had it for 3 years and never had a problem with it.