PDA

View Full Version : Mobil 1 oil and ethanol questions!

Mickhippy
09-13-2006, 08:51 AM
Hey Pj, is it ok to run Mobil 1 synthetic 10-30 oil in the 28efi? Its in the hydro system now so instead of buying 2 different oils, is it ok to use in the engine as well?

Also, is it ok to use ethanol 5% fuels (I think it is) in the 28efi? Whats the max % of ethanol thats safe to run.

mowerconsultant
09-14-2006, 03:04 PM
These are questions you would need to ask Kohler, although I will ask our customer service guys and see what they have to say.

Pj

mowerconsultant
09-14-2006, 04:19 PM
Here is what our customer service manager says.

Yes, it is ok to use Mobil 1 10w-30 in the engine. He still needs to change the oil at the recommended intervals. That's the good news. Now the bad news, he should not use 10w-30 in the hydraulics. If he wants to use Mobil 1 in the hydraulics, then he should use 15w-50 and not add Lubrizol. Do not use 15w-50 in the engine.

On the fuel, Ok to use ethanol up to 10 percent.

Mickhippy
09-14-2006, 09:06 PM
It was a Hustler dealer that did the hydro! They put Mobil1 10 - 30 in it! I will have to get onto them I think!

Thanks for that! Maybe I should get them to just use 10- 30 regular oil with the Lubrizol!

Good news on the fuel!

Thanks PJ, now to get onto that dealer! Grrrrr

Mickhippy
09-15-2006, 02:46 AM
I need to make a correction here!
I screwed up! The dealer used I think 5w-50 Mobil1 in the hydro. I thought it was 10w-30 so thats what I bought ($85 for 5 liters). My expensive mistake!
I rang importer today and asked them if its ok to just top up the hydro with the 10w-30 and they said ok as such small amounts (less than 50ml or so at a time and rarely).

So, all is ok I think! Apologies to Karls Mowers!

Ive only just changed the oil and filter with Honda 10w-30 so wont put the Mobil1 in till next filter change. Gotta use it up!

He also said, due to how often the oils changed (50hrs or so), the extra expence of Mobil1 isnt worth it. Just clean, regular changes of normal oil is fine. Whats your take on that Pj?

Thanks Greg Dagg at Hewlett for the phone help! Hope your field repair went well, with no Green Ants! lol

Thanks Pj!

mowerconsultant
09-15-2006, 12:00 PM
I wouldnt say its not worth it, synthetics certainly have there advantages, it would be your choice to make the change.
Personally I don't use synthetics, but I certainly don't put my mower through the use that you would.

Pj