PDA

View Full Version : Blower CFM Question?

zeroturner
09-13-2006, 01:15 PM
I have noticed a lot of blower discussion lately. I have been researching four big boy blowers and I am finding it difficult to accurately compare the cfms of all four because each manufacturer specs them out differently.

Echo PB-755 1260 cfm @ housing and 625 cfm @ pipe

Redmax EBZ8000 943 cfm (is this with or without tube)

Shindaiwa EB8510 952 cfm without tube (what is it with tube)

Stihl BR600 1012 cfm without tubes and 712 cfm with tube

Now, in my opinion, if we just purely want to compare usable cfms for the purpose of moving material, all we need to know from each manufacturer is the cfm at the end of tube. I easily found this information on echo's and stihl's web sites, but I did not see it on Redmax's or Shindaiwa's web site. Can anyone provide me with these numbers so that I can make a fair cfm comparison between these for blowers?

Total.Lawn.Care
09-13-2006, 01:22 PM
THe RedMax CFM is going to be without Tube. Therefore, you have the CFMs of all machines without the tube. You can pretty much assume that the Tube is going to have the same effect on all of them, with the variable being the size of the tube being used. The large the tube, the move air volume will flow through it.

I encountered the same problem when I was shopping big blowers. I decided on the Stihl BR600 and I love it. I was recommended the RedMax EBZ8000 by many people, but our RedMax Dealer here is new and not customer oriented bby any means. If you have a good Stihl Dealer (and we do, all my hadn tools are Stihl) then I woudl definetly recommend the BR600. You will be happy with it.

6'7 330
09-13-2006, 01:29 PM
According to the Redmax EBZ8000 owners manual, CFM with the pipe is 688.

According to the Stihl BR600 manual, you're numbers are correct, 712 at the pipe

newz7151
09-13-2006, 01:30 PM
The Shindaiwa EB8510 is 762 w/tubes

http://www.shindaiwa.com/products/blowers/eb8510.html

It's on that spec page right above the CFM without tubes.

I have noticed a lot of blower discussion lately. I have been researching four big boy blowers and I am finding it difficult to accurately compare the cfms of all four because each manufacturer specs them out differently.

Echo PB-755 1260 cfm @ housing and 625 cfm @ pipe

Redmax EBZ8000 943 cfm (is this with or without tube)

Shindaiwa EB8510 952 cfm without tube (what is it with tube)

Stihl BR600 1012 cfm without tubes and 712 cfm with tube

Now, in my opinion, if we just purely want to compare usable cfms for the purpose of moving material, all we need to know from each manufacturer is the cfm at the end of tube. I easily found this information on echo's and stihl's web sites, but I did not see it on Redmax's or Shindaiwa's web site. Can anyone provide me with these numbers so that I can make a fair cfm comparison between these for blowers?

pugs
09-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Some say at the housing...some say without tube. That doesnt necessarily mean the same thing in my opinion.

They should come up with standardized test for comparing blower output...

zeroturner
09-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Thanks guys! Man, it seems like that echo may need to rethink their tube design. It seems by the amount of cfms they are losing that they have a lot of restriction in the tube.

Total.Lawn.Care
09-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Some say at the housing...some say without tube. That doesnt necessarily mean the same thing in my opinion.

They should come up with standardized test for comparing blower output...

I think that "At the Housing" would mean at the housing where the tube would attach. Therefore, "At the Housing" and "Without Tube" would be the same thing. I agree it might not, but I think for the comparisons that we are trying to acheive, the most air flow for the buck, then it is close enough.

it seems like that echo may need to rethink their tube design. It seems by the amount of cfms they are losing that they have a lot of restriction in the tube.

I do not think the diameter of their tube is as large as other manufactures. I looked at that Echo as well and thought that the output with the tube was pretty weak conpared to the others.

I think the BR600 has the larger tube of most or these. It is at Least a 4" pipe all the way from the housing to the nozzle. And then it only closes about 1/4 inch at the nozzle. Great little machine...

fulano
09-13-2006, 02:55 PM
There is a huge difference between the stihl and echo. The stihl only loses 30% cfm at the tube and echo 50%. Does that translate into any gas savings?
If Redmax and the Shindaiwa don't list their #'s at the tube does that mean they hope customers will overlook it? If the #'s were great you'd think they would have it as a sales tool.

6'7 330
09-13-2006, 03:03 PM
[QUOTE=fulano]There is a huge difference between the stihl and echo. The stihl only loses 30% cfm at the tube and echo 50%. Does that translate into any gas savings?
[QUOTE]

The Stihl BR600 consumes less fuel than both the Echo650/750 and the Redmax EBZ8000.The Stihl BR600 consumes dramatically less fuel than does the Redmax EBZ8000.

stevesmowing
09-13-2006, 03:19 PM
I have an eb630, and 2 redmax 8000's. I was going to buy a eb8510 this summer but I tested it against the redmax and I didn't notice much of a difference. I havn't had problems with the redmax 8000 so I thought I would stick with it and not have to worry about adjusting valves or anything else on a 4 stroke.

newz7151
09-13-2006, 04:08 PM
If Redmax and the Shindaiwa don't list their #'s at the tube does that mean they hope customers will overlook it? If the #'s were great you'd think they would have it as a sales tool.

Shindaiwa DOES list the Tube CFM if you look at the specs on the website.

jameson
09-13-2006, 09:45 PM
The Shindaiwa EB8510 is 762 w/tubes

http://www.shindaiwa.com/products/blowers/eb8510.html

It's on that spec page right above the CFM without tubes.

So on paper (CFM's at the tube where it counts) - the the Big Blue Shin should be the darling of this years leaf season. Interesting.