PDA

View Full Version : Byers Gold Walkbehind?

mbricker
09-13-2006, 03:21 PM
There's a 48" Byers walkbehind for sale in this area. A search only brought up one thread on this brand, back in March.

Anyone got any current opinions on this brand? Has 14 hp Kohler, a sort of hydrostat drive with 2 pistol-grips (that I found rather hard to control), a sulky. Don't know how old and didn't see an hour meter on it. From appearance is probably several years old, but runs good. Has gator blades on it, and there wasn't much grass to cut at the location where it's for sale, so I couldn't really tell whether it has the power to go thru heavy grass. Rather poor cut, but that might have been because of the crappy grass there, or because the underside of the deck was really loaded up with clippings.

I thought the price was so low that the ad had to be a misprint, but it wasn't: $400.

What do ya think?

Mowingman
09-13-2006, 04:51 PM
I don't think that company has been in opertaion for a number of years. The owner /founder died.Their mowers would be clones of the Landscaper Supply/Black Rock Manufacturing/ all of the current Chinese import walkbehind mowers.

forbryan03
05-11-2007, 01:57 AM
I hope you bought it. That's a 'no look' price, I don't care who makes it.

tallimeca
05-11-2007, 11:22 AM
price is hard to not take a chance on but good luck trying to get parts and someone to work on it.

PIECE OF JUNK IMO, but if the engine runs, that alone is worth 400 bucks.

forbryan03
05-11-2007, 01:57 PM
You could spend a few hundred bucks on this mower and end up with a decent unit. If you don't like the pistol grip controls you could cannibalize new controls from a donor mower.

I bought a Byers Gold unit some years back. It was two years old and had seized bearings in one cutter housing. Got it for six hundred bucks, worked on it for a few days, spent about a hundred bucks on it and now it cuts nicely. It's basic - varidrive, 14 horse motor - but for the money it's hard to beat. One of these days I'm gonna have to replace all three cutter housings but until then I'll just limp along. I just cut my own big-ass lawn with it so it's all good. It's handy to have some metal-fab skills too so that you can fix poor design features.:hammerhead: