PDA

View Full Version : Customer service

mak2
09-13-2006, 05:25 PM
I have a customer that I picked up very early in the season. It was one of my first weeklys and I underbid it becasue I was not mowing much and had not yet landed many accounts. I bid the property using the Z at $25.00 in hopes of getting more accounts in her addition and the lawn should take less than a half hour. Well turns out she dont like the Z. So with my 36 it takes about 40 min. She is very picky aobut trimming and even wants the lawn "blown" so there is no dead clumps on it. So now my less than half hour yard takes about an hour or more. OK I have dealt with this becasue I have picked up more lawns in her area and there is not much driving time involved. Now she has come up iwth a new twist. The last couple of weeks she calls my house while I am at my full time job and tells the kids what day she wants me to come mow. Last weeek it just happend to b the day I had planned to be there. This week she wants me to mow on Thursday not saturday. I have 20 accoutns, work a full time night job and am taking two Masters level classes. Tommorw I have a practicum from 9-5 and cannot possibly mow, She knows my schedule and I explained why I have to be a little rigid in my schedule. should I dump her?:hammerhead:

dvmcmrhp52
09-13-2006, 05:36 PM
Yes, you've alowed it to go too far.

ChadsLawn
09-13-2006, 05:40 PM
Umm yep, I would have told her If I had to mow with the smaller mower, the price will go up. If she didnt like it, well then sorry but Im not cutting it for $25 with my smaller mower.. Now dont just drop her, either call or go to her house and explain the reasons why.

1MajorTom
09-13-2006, 05:40 PM
if you give an inch, the customer will take a mile. you have to set up your accounts and customers according to how you want to run your business, not the other way around. the lady is in control, not you..
dump her, unless you are able to take back the reins, like it should have been set up from the get go.

The Captain
09-13-2006, 06:01 PM
DUMP HER NOW!!! She has already cost your family too much.
If you let her talk you into continuing (and I wouldn't), raise the price to what it should be and you set the day.

Good Luck

The Captain

WJW Lawn
09-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Eject Eject Eject!!!!!!!!!!!!!

parkeeee
09-13-2006, 07:37 PM
I vote dump.

jcltyson
09-13-2006, 07:41 PM
To quote a very intelligent, well respected lawman....you should have nipped it.....nipped it in the bud, when she demanded the smaller cut mower, her scanerio should have started setting major flags. This lady is on a power trip and she won't stop until you stop her. For the price she is paying ... she will find no one else is going to put up with that treatment very long !!
:walking:

Liquidfast
09-13-2006, 08:03 PM
If a custy demands a smaller mower...no biggie. I totally understand...I have ripped the green outta many a lawn in my day. I would have changed mowers no prob. The $25 fee wouldve gone to $30 for the effort (unless it was my fault due to scalpin here and there and leavin slide marks etc).

That being said and LISTEN UP FOLKS who dont already know this cuz it isnt a big magical new secret.
Never price a job that leaves so little for profit. I would have priced it at $37.50 minimum that way, if something comes up I could budge slightly.
You already know the answer to your question. The problem is, she has been there from the beginning and in a warped way, you feel obligated to her....even though she is totally and I mean openly taking advantage of you. I wouldn't give her the respect of a notice, I would cut it on a day she chooses, and leave the "FINAL BILL".

DJL50
09-13-2006, 09:33 PM
I would tell her the day you would be able to cut and if that was not possible for her then you are sorry you can not do her yard. Customer service is not doing what the customer wants. It's following through with what you agree to do.

Frontier-Lawn
09-13-2006, 09:45 PM
time to say :waving: to her

tacoma200
09-13-2006, 09:52 PM
Time to move on. If you fix this she will find another problem. I had one lady with 30 different things to trim around her 1/3 acre lot and I was always tearing the leaf or stalk off one of her exotic plants when trimming (so she says?) I quit and she went through 3 more LCO's that year and I thought I was doing her a favor by not charging much. That's not the type customer you want.

LawnBrother
09-13-2006, 11:19 PM
Mak2, I know you only have 20 accounts and you feel like you need too keep every one of them, but you don't. I am not big on dropping customers, only if I have to. That said, you cannot let the customers dictate your schedule. Occasional special requests for a certain day, etc. sure, but frequent calls explaining what when and how to do your job etc. etc., drop her and move on. You will feel sooooo much better. That $25 cut you lost will be replaced with a better bid, less picky lawn before you know it. Had one last year that tried that "I'll call you when it needs mowed" crap. Told her I needed her on a schedule, she persisted, so see ya! I chuckle every time I drive by her unkempt law and thank myself for dropping her (among others). Just do it, you'll thank yourself sooner than later.

zeroturner
09-14-2006, 07:59 AM
Let her go and chalk it up has a lesson learned. That account is not worth the stress it is causing you.

nfarr
09-15-2006, 08:36 PM
I would tell her the day you would be able to cut and if that was not possible for her then you are sorry you can not do her yard. Customer service is not doing what the customer wants. It's following through with what you agree to do.

Amen to that.

Stafford Landscaping
09-15-2006, 10:15 PM
Eject Eject Eject!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES, Hit button NOW!!!!