PDA

View Full Version : Bob-Cat sold to Little Wonder?

mkwl
09-13-2006, 06:22 PM
I was up at my dealer today, there was a guy up there telling the owner (of the dealer) and me that Little Wonder bought Bob-Cat, Bunton, and Jacobsen...is this true? He also told me (and the dealer) that Little Wonder is planning to stop the Bob-Cat line of mowers :cry: . I find this to be a real shame, I love my Bob-Cat's features, performance, and durability, it'd be a real shame to see Little Wonder stop making a mower line that's been around for over 20 years. Why would Little Wonder buy Bob-Cat, Bunton, and Jacobsen, just to stop making their machines? Someone tell me that Little Wonder isn't really going to stop the Bob-Cat line!:cry: The dealer knew Bob-Cat, Bunton and Jacobsen had been sold to Little Wonder, but he didn't know they were planning to stop the line. I really hope Little Wonder will keep Bob-Cat, and expand on the line! What have you guys heard? I Love my Bob-Cat and Little Wonder equipment, it'd be a real shame to see Little Wonder stopping the Bob-Cat line...hopefully they'll keep the Bob-Cat line, and maybe even improve on it!

-Matt

prizeprop
09-13-2006, 07:04 PM
That would stink. I love my bobcats also. Ill ask my dealer and try to get some info.

extoro
09-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Why would they dissolve the Bobcat brand? That would be like you buying out another LCO and dropping all of their clients. Where there may be change is in distribution and the way they come to market. It would be very surprising if they dropped the line

Idealtim
09-13-2006, 07:27 PM
Yes that would suck, I to am a proud bobcat owner and have had absolutely NO problems with them. But, like Extoro said, something is wrong with this picture. I question if what that guy said was true or just a rumor, you know you can only believe half of what you hear.

Ron's Lawncare
09-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Why would they dissolve the Bobcat brand? That would be like you buying out another LCO and dropping all of their clients. Where there may be change is in distribution and the way they come to market. It would be very surprising if they dropped the line

no it's more like buying a lco and getting rid of all equipment and employees. they are buying out the competition.

lawnboy dan
09-13-2006, 08:26 PM
dosnt make sence. little wonder isnt that big a company to buy those big guys out

ThirdDay
09-13-2006, 08:46 PM
This purchase could F-up both brands.

Little Wonder is a small company in comparison to Jacobsen and might not be able to keep up and compete with the "big boys" now.

The word on the street is that the Bunton name will be gone not Bob-Cat

Mowingman
09-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Yes, it is true, Little Wonder bought all the lawn equipment brands formerly owned by Textron. Except, for the Jacobson golf course maint. equipment. This includes Bobact, Bunton, Ransomes, and Ryan equipment.
They also bought one or two factories where this stuff is made. I think you will see the same machines, but, they might consolidate it all under one name.
It seems that the commercial lawn equipment was not turning a big enough profit to satisfy a big company like Textron.

mkwl
10-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Anyone else hear anything on this subject?

mowerconsultant
10-02-2006, 05:46 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=157578

Envy Lawn Service
10-02-2006, 10:36 PM
What is this... OPE MFG yard sale week?

First RedMax, now this...

mkwl
10-02-2006, 10:46 PM

What hapened to Red Max?????:confused:

mkwl
10-02-2006, 10:57 PM

What happened to Red Max?????:confused:

Lynden-Jeff
10-02-2006, 10:58 PM
OK I asked my dealer about this and this is what he said. If ANYTHING bobcat mowers should receive a bit more technology.

Apparently the company that owns little wonder wanted to get in to the commercial mowing line of equiptment, which I really don't think they would purchase Bobcat to ruin it. As far as I know Bobcat is MORE popular then Bunton. Also I was told that little wonder is distributed by ECHO (at least in Canada). Right now bobcat is distributed by GCDUKE in Canada which isn't a very good dealer or so I'm told. A switch to a different distributor would be a good move.

Cheers
Jeff

Tharrell
10-03-2006, 05:50 AM
I posted an email I got from the folks at Little Wonder confirming this a while back.
I think it's probably a good thing. Little wonder is already in the outdoor market and know it pretty well. Their products are quality and I can't see anything less when the transition is done. Distribution may change, we'll see. Distribution may expand which is what I believe will happen.
Maybe they'll start putting Mantis attachments on the Bob-Cats? Sorry, had to do that!

ThirdDay
10-03-2006, 07:00 AM
What happened to Red Max?????:confused:

RedMax was bought by Husqvarna..

mkwl
10-03-2006, 04:44 PM
RedMax was bought by Husqvarna..

When did that happen? I thought Red Max was owned by Zenoah Komatsu.

ThirdDay
10-03-2006, 04:56 PM
When did that happen? I thought Red Max was owned by Zenoah Komatsu.

The letter of intent for Husky to buy RedMax was signed last week. The deal should be completed by the end of the year.

Envy Lawn Service
10-03-2006, 05:26 PM
Yeah, they have to do that "letter of intent" deal now due to all the well deserved 'trade' scruteny. Electrolux (Husqvarna USA) has stuff all over the globe and RedMax has stuff in Japan and China.

This is just a 'song and dance' routine though, sorta like that out of date request the DJ gets at every party. Sure they don't want to play it, but it never crashes the party.

Never seen one deal fall through over it, so this deal will go through so long as neither party decides to 'retract' which I doubt will happen.

LawnMower
10-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Well I was seriously considering a new Bob Cat Predator Pro for next year. Now I think ill look into another mower.

pugs
10-03-2006, 08:57 PM
I doubt anything will change. Even the distribution. Little Wonder or their parent company also owns Classen. And where I am at I get Little Wonder/Mantis from one distributor and Classen from another and Bobcat from yet another.

I think they are in better hands this way. Textron wasnt seeing the profits it wanted...they are a HUGE company. I think Bobcat and the other stuff kinda got lost in the shuffle. They kept trying new things that are IMO silly. Like the LEO and bobcat classic. Trying to create markets that dont exist instead of concentrating on the truly commercial products and making them better and possibly cheaper...

Mowingman
10-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Maybe now, Bobcat mowers will be offered to the dealer fully assembled in the crate. One reason many dealers here will not carry Bobcat, is due to the "some assembly required"/kit form, that these mowers come in to the dealer. A dealer can eat up a bunch of his profit just assembling the Bobcat mowers.

pugs
10-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Maybe now, Bobcat mowers will be offered to the dealer fully assembled in the crate. One reason many dealers here will not carry Bobcat, is due to the "some assembly required"/kit form, that these mowers come in to the dealer. A dealer can eat up a bunch of his profit just assembling the Bobcat mowers.

Yah, we started with Bobcat might be 5 years ago now. Just this year we took on Wright. HUGE difference. The Wrights are great.

The Bobcat riders are not bad. Just gotta put the control levers and seat on. The one bad part is you gotta pull the battery, fill it with acid and charge it...GRRRRRRR

The Walkbehinds blow...lots of assembly. Although a Ryan Jr Sodcutter aint nothing fun either.

Dunno how other manufacturers are as far as walkbehinds go. I would assume they need quite a bit of assembly no matter what brand just because of the shape of them. Its a matter of how small you can make the crate so you can fit more in a truck/train...

Mowingman
10-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Yah, we started with Bobcat might be 5 years ago now. Just this year we took on Wright. HUGE difference. The Wrights are great.

The Bobcat riders are not bad. Just gotta put the control levers and seat on. The one bad part is you gotta pull the battery, fill it with acid and charge it...GRRRRRRR

The Walkbehinds blow...lots of assembly. Although a Ryan Jr Sodcutter aint nothing fun either.

Dunno how other manufacturers are as far as walkbehinds go. I would assume they need quite a bit of assembly no matter what brand just because of the shape of them. Its a matter of how small you can make the crate so you can fit more in a truck/train...

Nope, our Gravely walkbehinds come fully assembled. We cut them loose from the pallet, add gasoline, crank them up, and off we go. I can have a Gravely walkbehind out of the crate, checked out, and ready to hand over to a customer, in about 20 minutes. About 10 minutes of that time is just cutting apart the crate with a chainsaw to get to the mower.

Lynden-Jeff
10-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Well I was seriously considering a new Bob Cat Predator Pro for next year. Now I think ill look into another mower.

To bad your missing out on a great mower :cool2:

pugs
10-04-2006, 12:48 AM
Nope, our Gravely walkbehinds come fully assembled. We cut them loose from the pallet, add gasoline, crank them up, and off we go. I can have a Gravely walkbehind out of the crate, checked out, and ready to hand over to a customer, in about 20 minutes. About 10 minutes of that time is just cutting apart the crate with a chainsaw to get to the mower.

Yah, the crates are the worst part no matter what mower...PITA. But yah the Bobcats are some assembly required. Fuel tank and handles are the main things. Its not all that bad when you think about it...but the fact that others make it easier... The worse are the Hydro machines since you buy them seperately. You buy a power unit and then you buy a deck...then you get to assemble both. Although I think those power units come a little more assembled...I forget.

Have to agree with Xoopiter about missing out on a great mower...well besides the Generac part...Their ZTR's are a tough animal.