PDA

View Full Version : John Deere Z's Blowing Pumps

puppypaws
09-13-2006, 09:04 PM
I was told this afternoon that the largest town in my county is getting rid of every John Deere zero turn mower they own and have bought 7 new Hustler's because the pumps and wheel motors were going out faster than they could put them on. The little town next to it has a John Deere 777 with 125 hrs. on it and they have replaced the pump and both wheel motors, is anybody else seeing these problems with JD?

Envy Lawn Service
09-13-2006, 10:01 PM
There pump is now that integrated pair also...

I liked the looks of how it was set up on one small unit.
But I also remember thinking "that would be expensive to repair"

tacoma200
09-13-2006, 10:14 PM
What's a wheel motor every 100 hrs or so when you have that great 7 iron II deck? Just a minor inconvenience. Are you saying it cost alot of green to run green?

Yes, I'm being a little sarcastic. I'm hearing good things about the 7 iron deck and now you hear this. I may go back to my 12.5 Murry. 11 years, two batterys,a belt and a set of blades.

MMLawn
09-13-2006, 10:20 PM
I was told this afternoon that the largest town in my county is getting rid of every John Deere zero turn mower they own and have bought 7 new Hustler's because the pumps and wheel motors were going out faster than they could put them on. The little town next to it has a John Deere 777 with 125 hrs. on it and they have replaced the pump and both wheel motors, is anybody else seeing these problems with JD?

That's funny cause I have (11) eleven 2005 & 2006 JD ZTraks that range in hours from 1,000 to 160 and I haven't had ANY wheel motors or pumps go out, period. As a matter of fact the only thing on any of them is that 1 of the '06's had a clutch replaced and that was from a nake wire that wasn't taped completely at the factory that shorted the clutch and switch out.

Also the City of Greensboro runs almost nothing but Deere mowers and I know for a fact that are in the process right now of buying more JD Z's

procut
09-13-2006, 10:29 PM
That is strange. When I questioned the fact that deere only uses one pump, the guy at the dealer told me they had yet to see one fail.

tacoma200
09-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Probably an isolated case. Every brand has a lemon every now and then.

Envy Lawn Service
09-14-2006, 12:00 AM
Also the City of Greensboro runs almost nothing but Deere mowers and I know for a fact that are in the process right now of buying more JD Z's

I can also second that fact to back it up.

They have some of the 997 rear discharge units too... and I was physically sick in the pit of my stomach (on behalf of TonyR) while watching one work totally trouble free in really nasty conditions with nothing more than a dirty radiator screen.

His issue was something totally to do with his particular 997, which had nothing to do with the rear discharge deck... as I had said all along. Probably had the wrong cooling fan on the engine... or a different more aggressive style I should say... or that was something Deere has updated.

Albemarle Lawn
09-14-2006, 12:22 AM
Could it be one guy topped off the fluids in all the hydros?

Maybe all the Deere's were topped off with fuel in the hydro tank by Miguel, Juan, or even Bubba.

puppypaws
09-14-2006, 02:07 AM
Could it be one guy topped off the fluids in all the hydros?

Maybe all the Deere's were topped off with fuel in the hydro tank by Miguel, Juan, or even Bubba.This could very well be I am in the process of finding out what is actually going on. I am going to make a call tommorrow and as Paul Harvey say's " now the rest of the story ", I find this a little bit odd sounding myself.

MNBOY
09-14-2006, 05:39 AM
I have the 657 and my pump went out at about 300 hours. Can't wait to get rid of my deere.

puppypaws
09-14-2006, 07:33 PM
I have the 657 and my pump went out at about 300 hours. Can't wait to get rid of my deere.I talked with the athletic dept. today and they run 4 Hustler's and love them, no trouble and run the heck out of them everyday. Talked with the school maintenance dept. and they have 6 John Deere 777's that two pumps had been replaced on but one came back and had the same sound so they changed the tightener and idler pulleys and it quit making the sound so now they are not sure if it was pumps or pulleys gone bad. They did say they wanted Hustler's because their quys were rough on mowers and from talking with other depts. the Hustler was the only one that had been able to stand the abuse and they do not like the belt set up on the John Deere's at all, they feel like it is a poor design and they loose to much power ( Envy probably knows what they are talking about). One dept. that mows 300 acres a week in Cane Creek Park uses all Hustler's and they said their guys were use to the speed and would probably quit before they mowed with anything else and the Hustler's were built like tanks. I wish I had asked them how many they ran because 300 acres a week is a lot of grass, I talked with the purchasing agent about the water and sewer dept. mowers and they were satisfied with the John Deere's they run but had just purchased a new Hustler to try. It is amazing to me that you can have so many different depts. in one county and they buy I guess what ever comes in with the best bid because they have Toro's, John Deere, Hustler, Gravely and some old Grasshoppers. You would think they would get with the best mower and the company with the best service and work out fleet prices but you know how government works, crazy. I think this goes back to the old saying, " don't believe anything you hear and about half of what you see ".

TLS
09-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Hustler frame, Deere 7-Iron deck, and 35hp Vanguard, and I'd be a HAPPY man!

Oh, and make those 7-Iron blades Fusion coated.

Is this too much to ask for?

puppypaws
09-14-2006, 07:59 PM

Is this too much to ask for?Can the Deere deck keep a good cut with the high speed of the Hustler, I have been satisfied with my cut for what I use it for but I cannot do without the speed, once you are use to it I could never go back. I even jump on it and drive it around to check my chicken houses and run up my 700' long driveway to get the mail. I'm sure Hustler has some changes on the way for there decks to meet different conditions, I hope I can get my hands on a 36 efi, I sure would like to have one now that Kohler told me they are working on it.

tacoma200
09-14-2006, 08:05 PM

Is this too much to ask for?
Sounds good to me!

MMLawn
09-14-2006, 08:10 PM
IOne dept. that mows 300 acres a week in Cane Creek Park uses all Hustler's and they said their guys were use to the speed and would probably quit before they mowed with anything else and the Hustler's were built like tanks. I wish I had asked them how many they ran because 300 acres a week is a lot of grass, .

We cut nearly 700 acres a week and my guys would probably quit if I dropped Deere after swicthing to them, so I guess it really is matter of opinion

tacoma200
09-14-2006, 08:13 PM
We cut nearly 700 acres a week and my guys would probably quit if I dropped Deere after swicthing to them, so I guess it really is matter of opinion
Well that says alot. I wonder why they are not more popular across the country with LCO's. Maybe they just got a late start compared to Scag, Exmark, etc. I mean I'd love to test one out as well as a new Scag.

puppypaws
09-14-2006, 08:38 PM
Well that says alot. I wonder why they are not more popular across the country with LCO's. Maybe they just got a late start compared to Scag, Exmark, etc. I mean I'd love to test one out as well as a new Scag.Like you have heard me say before John Deere has very very deep pockets and they have bought a lot of the technology of zero turn mowers by acquiring other companies, they even approached Hustler trying to feel them out to see if they could be bought. John Deere has the money to buy up every zero turn company there is if they were for sell and it is a lot easier to buy technology that is proven and work it into your system and make changes you think will improve the product because JD has some of the best engineers in the world. They are smart and this thought process will save the company a lot of money in the long run, how long has JD even been in the zero turn market and you see how far they have already come.

K&L Landscaping
09-14-2006, 08:51 PM
I'm with MM on this one. I have seven (7) JD units from 997 72" deck to 7H17 48" walk-behinds and I have yet to have a failure with any of them. I think the 7-iron deck is superior to anything I have used in wet conditions.

puppypaws
09-14-2006, 09:08 PM
I'm with MM on this one. I have seven (7) JD units from 997 72" deck to 7H17 48" walk-behinds and I have yet to have a failure with any of them. I think the 7-iron deck is superior to anything I have used in wet conditions.My nephew just bought a new 777 and I have already told him I wanted to mow some heavy damp grass with it to see for myself how it cuts but I'm afraid the 27 Kawasaki on that 72" deck is not enough.

Roger
09-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Well that says alot. I wonder why they are not more popular across the country with LCO's. Maybe they just got a late start compared to Scag, Exmark, etc. I mean I'd love to test one out as well as a new Scag.

In this area, JD dealer interest is stronger for ag equipment. JD (ZTRs, w/b) equipment isn't nearly as widespread as other brands. I don't think it is "late start" as much as how much the local dealers want to invest in the LCO market. The other extreme (from ag equipment) are those dealers who primarily wish to sell large volumes of lawn tractors to home owners. JD equipment is very popular among the residential market, but not the commercial cutters.

I looked, evaluated, considered, .... and ended up with a JD 717A in May of this year. My need was satisfied with a 48" mowing deck. I really liked dealers with other brands in terms of their involvement with commercial cutters, but in the end, opted for the JD. I feel the same as others in this thread -- the 7 Iron II deck does a superb job of mowing. I only have 200 service hours on the machine, as I use it about half the time (Exmark w/b the other half, terrain, gates, bagging, etc). To date, it has been perfect and I'm pleased with my choice.

Jason Rose
09-14-2006, 11:42 PM
Buddy of mine here had a JD stander and went thru several wheel motors, like 3 on one side, and the pump, and I think he said they replaced the other side as well. forgive me for not remembering it all! This was all within 300 hours or so. All under warranty but the machine spent more days in the shop then on lawns. He finally traded it off at JD's loss and got a 737. As far as I know he's had no problems with the Z. Something was seriously WRONG with that stander though.

QualityLawnCare4u
09-15-2006, 01:20 AM
I have never had a problem with the wheel motors or pumps (so far) on my 737 but it only has 410 hours. Now since I said that......

Oldtimer
09-15-2006, 07:26 AM
The recent increase in pump and motor failures doesn't have anything to do with Deere, Hustler, eXmark or any other manufacturer's installations The problem lies with the manufacturer of the wheel motors and hydro pumps.

At one time we could expect the hydro drive system to last the life of the mower but those days are over. My feeling is that we will soon expect the drive to begin to have component replacement within the first 1000-1200 hours.

If your dealer offers an extended warranty on Z mowers my recommendation is to buy it. The price will add another 10% but will add an additional 3 years to the warranty.

Oldtimer
Been there, done that, bought the tee shirt and went home

K&L Landscaping
09-15-2006, 08:21 AM
My nephew just bought a new 777 and I have already told him I wanted to mow some heavy damp grass with it to see for myself how it cuts but I'm afraid the 27 Kawasaki on that 72" deck is not enough.
I have a 777, 72" deck with the 27hp Kaw. and I promise you the engine is NOT strong enough when it is wet and thick. That's where the 997 comes into play. It will cut thorugh anything and not bog down.

puppypaws
09-15-2006, 08:54 AM
I have a 777, 72" deck with the 27hp Kaw. and I promise you the engine is NOT strong enough when it is wet and thick. That's where the 997 comes into play. It will cut thorugh anything and not bog down.That is exactly the way I was thinking and feeling about this engine and deck size. The 29 is the 27 engine block with digital fuel injection how much difference do you feel in the power, I've had two 27 hp Kohler's and the 28 efi I have now is the same 27 block but the electronic fuel injection makes it feel like 30 hp in comparison to the 27's, is that the difference amount you would notice between the 27 and 29 Kawasaki's?

WildWill
10-02-2013, 08:45 AM
my 777 pump blew after only 350 hours of residential use. I am not a fan of the unitized Kamakaze duped pump arrangement...feels like made out of tin soldier pot metal compared to the wheel motor's steel case. First hand experience since asked dealer for both blown pump / ruined motor back. anyone knows where to send them to get rebuilt since it is only a matter of time before the pump blows again.

weaver
10-02-2013, 09:03 AM
How did you find a seven year old thread?

jnrogers
10-02-2013, 09:17 AM
Never heard of this out of John Deere Zs. I have several of them with nearly 2000 hours and have never had any problems out of the hydraulics. Actually I havent had any problems period. Seen a lot of john deere z's around here and have not heard of any problems like this.

weaver
10-02-2013, 09:18 AM
Never heard of this out of John Deere Zs. I have several of them with nearly 2000 hours and have never had any problems out of the hydraulics. Actually I havent had any problems period. Seen a lot of john deere z's around here and have not heard of any problems like this.

I know... I was surprised when I started reading this at how many had problems...

WildWill
10-02-2013, 09:20 AM
hi Weaver, simple search because I am faced with two decisions...given I strongly believe my second Kanzaki DUP-13A is a time bomb. either sell my 777 used or repair the old bad pump to be retained as a spare. parker motor was repairable, but unable to find Kanzaki parts or rebuild shop. there is a guy with eight bad Kanzaki pumps for sale on ebay so I am not the only shadetree mechanic facing this problem.

Roger
10-02-2013, 08:48 PM
With this thread laying dormant for seven years, thinking that these units have a problem is beyond a stretch. This is not to say that somebody didn't have a problem. Why does anybody believe that the Kanzaki pumps are more of a problem than any other pump? Kanzaki is a major manufacturer of a wide range of these kinds of pumps, and has been for a long time. Why would they remain successful as a major pump supplier if the were providing inferior pumps?

I have a 717A, now with 2100 hours. Pumps, wheel motors are as strong as the day it came home. There may be some problems with Deere mowing products, but Kanzaki pumps is not one of them. Seven years, without a follow on post, ... don't think so.

WildWill
10-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Roger, granted my machine is not new...took me almost six seasons to get to 350 hours mowing my yard, hence my delayed comment. as for issues with "vintage" Kanzaki DUP-13, simply search this website or google it. Agree hydraulics should last 2000+ hours without an issue...but mine sure didn't.