PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chopper leaving uncut grass behind

MY Florida
09-13-2006, 09:21 PM
I need some advice. I have a 2005 DC w/27hp Kolor and a 60" deck. When I cut around a circular object, like a flower bed or driveway, my mower is leaving a 1"-2" stip of uncut grass. It is usually on the inside of the radius, between the inside blade and the middle blade? But I also see it when I go through tough grass in a straight line. I have sharp baldes, the RPMs are at 3580 and the belts seem to be tight. I spoke with the guys at the dealership and they say they have not heard of the issue. I can take my walk-behind go though the same grass and get a much better cut. I know my DC is capable of a better cut, just dont know what is going on.
Any thoughts?
Trey

mattfromNY
09-13-2006, 09:27 PM
Just a thought, but could it be where your front deck wheel is running over the grass, then the grass isnt getting picked up enough for a good cut?? I have seen this on wet, stringy grass. Does it skip grass going both directions, left to right and right to left when going around obstacles?

MY Florida
09-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Matt, thanks for the reply. Yes it does happen going in both directions. You may be right that the front tire is pushing the grass down, but the mower has to be able to pick it back up and cut it. I do not have time to make numerous trips around an object to get a good cut. You know what I mean?
I wonder if the blades or the deck have a flaw.

Uranus
09-13-2006, 10:01 PM
Do you have 20 1/2 inch blades? I know its a 60 inch but the blades are longer than 20 inch because of the offset of the spindles.

MY Florida
09-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Williams LC,
Not sure of the length. I compared them to the original blades that came with the mower and they are the same length. I will have to check that out. I do know that the blades are the same size as the ones that came with it.
Thanks

alot2lurn
09-18-2006, 11:03 PM
I'm having the same problem with my Scag . It's a Tiger Cub 48" with a 19 hp. Kawasaki . I'm running sharp Gator blades I noticed when I installed them that they were about a 1/4 " shorter than the factory blades that were doing the same thing.It's especially bad in tall damp grass.I also have a mulch plate installed . I'm not trying to take over your post , but I'm eiger for responses this double and sometimes triple cut thing really sucks.

Travis Followell
09-23-2006, 01:28 PM
Are the blades your running on your Dixie Hi lift blades? If they are you may try running doubles. That should help.