PDA

View Full Version : New Low sulphur Diesel and equipment?

SouthernYankee
09-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Down here in Texas, there are little signs at gas stations saying that certain 2007 diesel trucks shouldnt use low sulphur diesel.

This got me to thinking, does this new low sulphur diesel have any effect on Bobcats,excavators...etc???

also much can I save if I get some off road diesel, I have never really thought about pricing it out?

dozerman21
09-14-2006, 12:33 AM
No, I think it's the other way around. If you run a high sulfur diesel in a new diesel pickup, it can affect the performance. At least it did on mine. My truck runs much better on truck stop fuel than it does offroad. The aftermarket goodies might have an effect on that though!:weightlifter:

We have always ran offroad Diesel-X #2 High Sulfur in our equipment (Mostly Case), and never had any problems. When I bought my Bobcat T-300 it had the Tier 2 engine and as soon as I started using that fuel it turned into a dog. I ran it in for service 3 times in the first month and Bobcat couldn't figure it out. They just kept changing the fuel filter and "recommended" that I use a lower sulfur diesel (On-road). Due to the fact that the offroad is cheaper and more convenient, I continued to use the offroad and after about 6 weeks the machine finally started running strong again. I did have to drain the fuel filter every 10 hours or so, or it would lose power. So I think a high sulfur fuel might have a negative effect on some newer Tier 2 and 3 engines.

I could be wrong on this, but that's my experience!:waving:

ksss
09-14-2006, 02:30 AM
Diesel engines built after Jan. 1 will have to be ultra low sulfur. What effect that has on off road engines I am not sure. Typically offroad diesel has a much higher sulfur content. My personal plan is this; I have replaced both skid steers (second one is not here yet) to have two new machines just prior to these d!cked up restrictions. I also replaced an 01 3500 for an 06 3500. My idea is that I can run these machines for the next 3 years until the consequences of these restrictions work themselves out. Fuel stations are going to have to carry two different types of on road. One for pre 01-01-07 and post 01-01-07 pickups and tractor trailers. What a mess. The use of off road diesel in a post 07 pickup will result in major problems in most brands of pickups. Since everyone is using sometype of exhaust gas treatment system, the high sulfur will plug this equipment. I forsee a major drop in diesel pickup sales when word spreads about these restrictions and the effects on the new diesel pickups. The good news is I believe that the value of the pre 07 pickups will raise substantially. I guess you have to look for the silver lining in times like this.

SouthernYankee
09-14-2006, 08:10 AM
So Low sulphur diesel will not have a negative effect in a 2000 bobcat?

ksss
09-14-2006, 10:36 PM
I don't think your going to want to run the ultra low sulfur in anything that doesn't spec. it. The sulfur provides lubrication and I don't know if the engines that are pre 01-01-07 can handle the lack of lubricity (injection pump and injectors) that the new fuel will have. Perhaps an additive would be the answer. I would ask your dealer to be sure.

Wayward
09-15-2006, 12:04 AM
The way I understand it, there will be only one type of on-road diesel fuel, ULSD. ULSD contains additives to regain lost lubricity.

SouthernYankee
09-15-2006, 09:02 AM
I think what I saw at the pump was regular diesel, not the low sulphur diesel, and thats why there was a sticker that said do not use in 2007 diesel trucks.