PDA

View Full Version : Which Oil Weight Should I Use?

dozerman21
09-14-2006, 12:47 AM
Hey fellas, we have always used Rotella 15-40 oil for our equipment, so we think very highly of it. I'm ready for the first oil change on my Deere CT332, and the owner's manuel says to only use John Deere brand 10W-30. I know that it doesn't matter if I use the John Deere brand, but I'm wondering if I switch to a heavier weight like the Rotella 15W-40, if that would matter? The 10W-30 is the break in oil, and I would use the Rotella 15W-40 from now on.

Has anyone else switched, especially if it was a Deere? I'm guessing it's not a big deal, I just thought I'd get some opinions before I changed the oil.

Thanks!:drinkup:

Gravel Rat
09-14-2006, 01:00 AM
It will be hard to find diesel rated 10w-30 I don't know why they are using 10w30. Ask the Deere dealer before you change the oil to the 15w-40 you really don't want to void your warrenty. If you ever have a engine problem during the period you still have warrenty and it comes down to you used 15w-40 they might give you the warrenty.

The Rotella is a good oil same with Delo 400 and we use 15w-40 in everything but when it comes to manufacturers specifying a certain weight of oil then you may have to use it.

dug1016
09-14-2006, 01:25 AM
Dozerman,

Rotella is good. How much money are you saving over the Deere oil?

I don't want to sound like an ad, but this is right off the Deere website.

Plus-50 oil. So good it's guaranteed.
John Deere guarantees Plus-50 motor oil will meet or exceed the performance needs of diesel engines. Regardless of hours or miles, John Deere will pay for any damages (parts and labor) to your engine that are caused by an oil defect. See us for full details on the warranty.

Plus-50 engine oil lasts longer, protects your engine, and saves you money. And we offer it for a very competitive price!

You spend thousands of dollars for an engine — in a tractor, combine, or truck — so why settle for an oil that meets “minimum” industry standards?

Minimum standards simply aren’t acceptable when it comes to protecting John Deere engines. That’s why John Deere engineers developed Plus-50, an exclusive oil for engines that work under heavy, continuous loads. Frankly, it’s the best oil you can put in your John Deere engine.

Here’s why:

1. Longer engine life
Plus-50 oil reduces harmful engine deposits that can cause oil consumption, extreme wear, and loss of power. It’s simple. Fewer engine deposits mean less wear, and that results in longer service life.

2. Better protection
Plus-50 oil is recommended by the engineers who design, develop, and test John Deere engines. During testing, they measured significantly less wear and fewer piston deposits when using Plus-50 oil. Those measurements mean peace-of-mind protection for your equipment.

3. Saves money
Plus-50 oil simply lasts longer. When used with a John Deere filter in a John Deere engine, drain intervals may increase by 50 percent. That means you’ll use less oil and fewer filters. And you’ll reduce your maintenance cost and downtime.

Add up the benefits: longer engine service life, peace-of-mind protection, and lower maintenance costs. It’s a much better deal than you’ll get with any oil that simply meets “minimum” industry standards.

Available in two formulas: Plus-50 Engine Oil (15W-40) and Plus-50 Synthetic Engine Oil (OW-40).

ksss
09-14-2006, 02:38 AM
It is surpising to me that they would spec. 10-30 in that motor. I always use 15-40 CASE brand. Not that I really care it is just more convienient to get it from the dealer in the larger quantities. I use 15-40 synthetic in my trucks and pickups. The main Amsoil dealer that I buy from has tried to get me to switch to the 5-30 synthetic diesel oil. I just cant bring myself to do it. I am a firm believer in synthetic oil, but to me all diesel engines run 15-40. Especially hard working diesels. Although we ran straight 30 weight on the farm in Ag tractors.

grass_cuttin_fool
09-14-2006, 07:21 AM
Im not sure about now.....but Deere oil is Shell oil in a Deere bottle, the smell is a dead giveaway. I questioned the local rep from Shell and he said yes they had the contract to supply Deere with oil, that was back in 2001.
I dont know why they recommend 10-30 unless the engine has very close tolerances and maybe the 15-40 wouldnt flow to all the parts in a cold climate or when the engine was cold, maybe if operating the machine at 0 degrees or so.

wayne

dozerman21
09-14-2006, 08:03 AM
dug1016:

The 5 gallon container I bought is at the shop so I don't have it on me, but my receipt says it's called "Torq-Gard". It's 10W-30 though, so I think it's different oil than that Plus 50 oil. Although I won't be changing oil every week, the 5 gallon bucket cost $72.00!:dizzy: I though the Case HyTran was expensive. For comparison, the last time I bought a 55 gallon drum of Rotella 15W-40 (Spring), it was around $325.00. That's $14.40 per gallon (Deere) compared to $5.90 per gallon (Rotella). When I asked the dealer about it, they told me Deere's brand tested better for their engines...so that's what they recommend.

grass_cuttin_fool: The dealer also made the same point about oil flowing to all the parts in cold weather. I can understand that, but I still think the 15W-40 would be/has been fine, especially since I always let equipment warm up for a long time before I run it.

On another note, Deere also uses the same "Torq-Gard" 10W-30 in their hydraulic system. I'm O.K with that, it just surprised me. The dealer said that the motor oil held up better in the pumps compared to hydraulic. Maybe many companies do this now, I just hadn't seen it in my Bobcat or Case equipment.

grassmanvt
09-14-2006, 11:04 AM
I run 15 40 in the bigger engines and used to in the smaller ones but, it was brought to my attention that Its reccomended to run 10 30 in the kubota engines, well the smaller ones at least. I was also recomended to use it in my Cat skidsteer. Probably the way to go anyway up here in our somewhat cold climate. I run it year round though (in the smaller engines) and no problems yet.

jd270
09-14-2006, 11:47 PM
i use the plus 50 in my 270 and 555 and all of our tractors about 20 of them from 60 hp to 400 and i really like it we buy it in 55 gallon drums in my 270 it uses no oil in 200 hrs and the oil stays very clean

dcondon
09-14-2006, 11:49 PM
From what I have read and all we use. 15-40:waving: