PDA

View Full Version : Scag Velocity info

tacoma200
09-14-2006, 02:12 AM
Just looking around the Scag website and found the following link to the adjustable Velocity deck. I found it very interesting how the inner front baffle is adjustable for tall wirey grass (up position) or for more vaccum (down position). Even though I've allready figured out alot about lift and deck design this made it much clearer and explains why the XR7 preforms better in tall or Southern grasses but didn't have the vaccum or lift for Northern grasses. The XR7 with its high front baffles does much better in the taller or rigid grasses. I sure haven't heard many complaints from Scag owners so it must be working ok. Would love to test one for a few weeks. I'll do a free demo and write up on preformance if any of you dealers want to loan me one, ha. Heres the link http://www.scag.com/advantage.html
But I have most of the info here:
Scag Custom-Cut™ Baffle
Customize Your Cutter Deck to Meet Your Needs.
The Custom Cut Baffle System allows you to adjust the cutter deck baffling for optimum performance depending on your cutting conditions. Raise or remove the baffle for taller, more wiry grasses. Lower the baffle to increase leaf pickup performance and decrease front end "blowout". No other cutter deck cuts this well or gives you the ability to tailor its performance to your lawns.

There are three individual baffle settings:
1. baffle removed - optimum performance in tall, wiry grasses
2. baffle in 3.5" position - best all around cutting performance in all grass types
3. baffle in 4" position - excellent fall leaf cleanup performance. Minimal front edge blowout.

* Custom Cut Baffle System allows you to customize your cutter deck to your conditions.
* More Productivity. Cut More Grass in Less Time!
* Three different settings to better match your individual cutting conditions.
* Increased performance in tall grasses, weeds and leaf pickup.

Custom-Cut baffle
Custom-Cut baffle
Previous Page

tacoma200
09-14-2006, 02:14 AM
One more pic. Sounds like Scag is doing some homework. Now if they could just make it adjustable without crawling under there from the top.

tacoma200
09-14-2006, 02:29 AM
Scag claims that this baffle (look at A on the picture) is what helps spread the clippings and helps increase velocity of the discharge. There are several companies that have done away with this in the name of less clogging. Scag calls it a turbo baffle but its nothing new but I think it helps. All this is probably not relevent in Southern grasses but it all seems to be important in Northern grasses. No I'm not getting paid by Scag. I call them like I see them and they seem to be doing their home work and I'm learning a little. They have the most informative website so far on how decks, mowers work, striping instructions etc.

tacoma200
09-14-2006, 02:34 AM
Last one, bet your glad. Well that was informative for me. I never had it explained so clearly, it may bore some of you but I found it so interesting I wanted to share it.

Rickco
09-14-2006, 08:04 AM
Thanx for taking the time to research this and share the info with us. I found it very interesting.

Tharrell
09-14-2006, 08:28 AM
Scag has a very good website, complete with videos and msrp.

Jerry and Sons
09-14-2006, 09:12 AM
I can let you know by first hand experience that this deck rocks. I have cut in the tallest and worst conditions and this deck just keeps give a clean even cut without any stringers left standing (even when the blades are dull). I use to use exmark (ultra deck) but the scag just blows the exmark out of the water!

Envy Lawn Service
09-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Although I am very satisfied with the Lesco Command Cut Deck (black) I'm really liking the looks of this new deck from Scag.

Most of the items on it are nothing new for them really, except the new straighter from center-off design.

The turbo baffle helps any deck with discharge.

Jerry and Sons
09-14-2006, 09:34 AM
Envy, all I can say is that I was also down the Husquvarna road. After the situation was resolved with a lot of bitching, I made the smartest decision I made in a long time and bought a Scag!

tacoma200
09-14-2006, 09:08 PM
Every one of these I have tested (Scag) at the dealer just rode rough, of course they have went to the no flat front tires. Any of you Scag guys notice this or did I just get a bad demo ride?

johnscag
09-14-2006, 09:18 PM
I like the way my rides, tiger cub, and just adjusted my deck to the medium setting, when i bought it , it came all the way down, I guess siince i git the bagger attachment which worked great, but now i want to try without it..

Rickco
09-14-2006, 09:30 PM
Scag has a very good website, complete with videos and msrp.
I've been to there web site many times and haven't seen msrp. could you tell me where to look. Thanx

LLandscaping
09-14-2006, 09:33 PM
I have a Scag Turf Tiger with the Velocity deck. I have had little clumping and it disperses the grass well. I think Scags are made for discharging.

Envy Lawn Service
09-15-2006, 12:54 AM
Envy, all I can say is that I was also down the Husquvarna road. After the situation was resolved with a lot of bitching, I made the smartest decision I made in a long time and bought a Scag!

I'm really glad to hear it...

I'm in the same position... just a different brand mower for me is all.

grass_cuttin_fool
09-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Slightly off topic, I have the advantage deck and I get a good cut with it also. With all the moisture we have had lately I have clean area ''c'' in post #3 on each yard. If I dont then the cut goes down hill, its no biggee, takes all of a minute to clean it and I'm off again. I mainly cut fescue and alot of the yards here have the wide bladed k-31 so it doesnt take alot to clogg it sometimes. The guys that have the the velocity...........how does area '' c'' do on those decks?

wayne

Shady Brook
09-15-2006, 07:53 AM
The deck looks kind of like a SFS deck with the added features that scag introduced with the advantage deck. The front baffle worked well on my Old Tiger cub. It was great for bagging, very nearly no blowout. The advantage deck cut very nice in great conditions, but any moisture and it was pukeing chunks. I always removed the turbo baffle. As the grass grew taller, it was just something for wads of grass to stick too and seemed to cause more clumps contary to what others experience might be.

This deck has very little baffleing compared to the front baffles of the old advantage and with more air space. My Super Z's beat the scag in everyway in the comfort, design, and function department. The only area I am unsure about is the cut quality which is an important area.

tacoma200
09-15-2006, 03:12 PM
The deck looks kind of like a SFS deck with the added features that scag introduced with the advantage deck. The front baffle worked well on my Old Tiger cub. It was great for bagging, very nearly no blowout. The advantage deck cut very nice in great conditions, but any moisture and it was pukeing chunks. I always removed the turbo baffle. As the grass grew taller, it was just something for wads of grass to stick too and seemed to cause more clumps contary to what others experience might be.

This deck has very little baffleing compared to the front baffles of the old advantage and with more air space. My Super Z's beat the scag in everyway in the comfort, design, and function department. The only area I am unsure about is the cut quality which is an important area.
I agree, thought you would find the post interesting, I think the lift kit we installed lowers both the front lip and front baffle. Yes I thing functionally the Super Z is a better mower but cut wise and power options(up to 35 hp) the Scag seems to have the edge. And of course the Scag cost more.