PDA

View Full Version : Advice on used JD F725

hansenke
06-04-2001, 06:59 PM
I'm not a commercial landscaper, just a home owner with a lot (4.5 acres) of property to mow. I currently have a Cub Cadet 2185 that is ok but it seems like it isn't made for the hours I put on it. Other than mowing, I use it for pulling the yard cart around.

Since it take 4+ hours to cut my lawn and the terrain is somewhat rough and hilly in spots, I'm thinking of getting a used commercial grade mower. A local JD dealership has a F725 with 54" deck and 1600 hours on it asking $3200. It this a lot of hours? How about the price? It started fine and ran smoothly, so it seemed to be in decent condition. The deck looked a little banged up, with some repair welds visible but I didn't test it.

I don't have a lot of trees, so I don't think that I need a ZTR. The front mount mowers seem like they would be maneuverable enough and I would be able to still use the yard cart. Should I be considering any other brands?

Your thoughts and experience are appreciated.

Thanks,

Catcher
06-05-2001, 07:42 AM
Being a home-owner with a few acres myself I traded my tractor for a ZTR this spring.
It made a big difference in time savings and the lawn has never looked this good before. A friend of mine decided to keep his crapsman rider and added an offset pull-behind mower from Tractor Supply for about $800.- to it.
This gives him almost 7' of cut. He mows his 3-4 acres in 45min to an hour (or so he claims).
It cuts his lawn nice and evenly, but it doesn't look as good as a commercial mower's cut.
This may be a cheap alternative to save time if you aren't too concerned about a 'perfect' lawn.
The other thing I like about my front-mount is that I can push the deck under swingsets, fences and the likes. I haven't used my pushmower yet.
Good luck.