PDA

View Full Version : Has this guy worked for you? The one who always starts blowers too soon!!!

Albemarle Lawn
09-14-2006, 11:02 AM
OK so you're on a job, many jobs, big or small, doesn't matter.

He always has a rotten sense of when to fire up the blowers. Usually he goes straight for blowing walkways before nearby objects or the walkway itself has been trimmed or edged.:nono:

Sometimes, he fires up the blower before any trimming at all.

And lots of times, he'll grab the hand blower to clean a half acre parking lot on a windy day, walking right past the backpack blower to get to the hand blower.

Hired a guy really bad about this mid summer. Pretty much have broken him of it, but he still relapses from time to time and gives me a really helpless oh my God feeling every time.:cry:

Any others have "this guy?"

WJW Lawn
09-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Damn...lol I mean...I know we all bust our butts....but this aint brain surgery!!!

TheKingNJ
09-14-2006, 11:13 AM
yeah that is so frustrating

topsites
09-14-2006, 11:15 AM
I think in every business you get a few from time to time who just don't get it. It is unfortunate but it happens, in some cases you can train them until they get it but in other cases you have to let them go, I think you're ok here, if by a fine margin.

HOOLIE
09-14-2006, 11:31 AM
I had him...sorry you got him now :laugh: :laugh:

Dang the blower SHOULD be, I think we all agree, rather easy to master...the guy last summer, he'd fire it up and basically run around like an ape on drugs and he'd be waving the tube all around...not trying to aim the airstream just waving it around like a magic wand...

A lot of this just boils down to PAYING ATTENTION the employee should be alert enough to recognize if you're not done with an area yet and not to blow...

Albemarle Lawn
09-14-2006, 12:57 PM
What keeps him around is the fact that he is never late, no BS days off, and doesn't complain.

clallen03
09-14-2006, 01:22 PM
I had that "Joe Blow" this summer also. All he wanted to do was edge the lawn and blow. The mower man would n't even be finished mowing that side of the lawn and he would start blowing. The crazy part about it was I had to tell him everyday to wait until it was time to blow. But what really got me was that when he did blow he would make double work for hisself. He would blow off the sidewalk and the yard then blow the clipping from the street back into the lawn.

Im glad Im not the only one with "Joe Blow"

martinfan06
09-14-2006, 01:31 PM
Work with this type ALL THE TIME, "I love to work harder not smarter":angry: :angry: :hammerhead: :confused: :dizzy:. But this is not in the green industry, warehousing and shipping, as the boss though I have to keep it at a min. Same with your own company try to work it out of them but many times its imposible just have to cut`em loose, no hope.

WJW Lawn
09-14-2006, 01:44 PM
I had him...sorry you got him now :laugh: :laugh:

Dang the blower SHOULD be, I think we all agree, rather easy to master...the guy last summer, he'd fire it up and basically run around like an ape on drugs and he'd be waving the tube all around...not trying to aim the airstream just waving it around like a magic wand...

A lot of this just boils down to PAYING ATTENTION the employee should be alert enough to recognize if you're not done with an area yet and not to blow...

HAHAHA An ape on drugs!!!!!!! Now thats too funny!:clapping:

JJLandscapes
09-14-2006, 01:56 PM
not causing any drama but you shouldnt have someone standing around about to blow when the area hasnt even been trimmed yet sounds a little in effecient

what i do is make sure who ever is trimming does every section thats by concrete first in the front so if someones done early they can start blowing every single time

clallen03
09-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Thats not always possible because sometimes the mower kicks clippings out on the concrete when you side discharge. This will be right up "Joe Blow's" alley because that is double work. Now that is not effecient!

Surf'n'Turf
09-14-2006, 03:50 PM
Let me guess....this same guy also straps the 'back pack' onto his chest? If you never saw anyone do this...it is quite comical.

mcwlandscaping
09-14-2006, 03:51 PM
wish i had a guy that would get out of the truck and walk right over and grab the trimmer and go. Every lawn, they act like they never done this before and i gotta tell them that they will be trimming on this lawn (just like every other) and then whoever finishes first blows off the walkways

mcwlandscaping
09-14-2006, 03:52 PM
Let me guess....this same guy also straps the 'back pack' onto his chest? If you never saw anyone do this...it is quite comical.
LMAO!!!!! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

lawn_pro
09-14-2006, 06:56 PM
what about the guy who thinks the back-pack blower is a hand held and carries it around........no joke had a new guy start with 3 years exp (he claimed) and he pulled that move..he lasted 1 and half days, just quit on his own...

Tharrell
09-14-2006, 09:06 PM
That's the kind of guy you need to keep away from the saws and hedge clippers.

Charles
09-14-2006, 09:56 PM
This is a funny topic. I had a guy who would blow the crud up the drive and then blow it back and round and round and NEVER off the drive:laugh:

ALarsh
09-14-2006, 10:36 PM
My guy is pretty good. I told him we both mow, the first person done with mowing trims. Then start blowing.

Now if I could just get him to stop running over **** with the Z! :cry:

parkeeee
09-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Put a padlock on the blower until such time as it is required on the job.

Then and only then unlock it for the blower fanatic.

There are employees that are not 'rocket scientists'; but show up and work hard each and every day and we just need to steer them in the correct direction.

Richard Martin
09-15-2006, 06:29 AM
That would drive me insane. I do ocassionally get a friend to help me on larger fall cleanups and he does something similar. I'll get an entire area cleaned up and look behind myself and he's there blowing leaves into a clean area. He'll also just skim over an area and when I ask why there's still leaves in an already done area he'll say he was going to go back over it a second time. Why go over it twice? Do it right the first time and move on damn it.

Tharrell
09-15-2006, 08:11 AM
Hey, I just remembered letting my cousin use my walkbehind when I first got it at his house. I watched in disbelief as he cut back and forth. Sounds right huh? NO, he was going over the same areas multiple times to get to uncut grass. I don't know how to explain it except he took 4-5 times longer to cut his yard than was required. It's just lack of thinking I guess. I truly believe these people would eventually figure these things out if they were actually in business. Afterall, didn't we all have a significant learning curve when we started and aren't we still learning? I know I am.

Precision
09-16-2006, 09:41 PM
I think one treatment of the How not to use your linetrimmer thread would correct that behavior.

I have had the blow in circle guys. I mean really how difficult is it to figure out, you gotta aim at the grass to get it in the grass.

But my biggest pet peeve is the guys who don't want to run the blower above idle or are always jackrabbitting the trigger.

puppypaws
09-16-2006, 10:42 PM
OK so you're on a job, many jobs, big or small, doesn't matter.

He always has a rotten sense of when to fire up the blowers. Usually he goes straight for blowing walkways before nearby objects or the walkway itself has been trimmed or edged.:nono:

Sometimes, he fires up the blower before any trimming at all.

And lots of times, he'll grab the hand blower to clean a half acre parking lot on a windy day, walking right past the backpack blower to get to the hand blower.

Hired a guy really bad about this mid summer. Pretty much have broken him of it, but he still relapses from time to time and gives me a really helpless oh my God feeling every time.:cry:

Any others have "this guy?"That is why God didn't make everybody alike, he made you a little bit smarter so you could own and operate a business and he made the guys working for you a little bit dumber so you could have some help, if everybody tried to do the thinking then there would be nobody to do the work, so that makes you the director of dummies.

kellroy
09-16-2006, 10:47 PM
hell that's the way some of my former employees we're had one that would blown drive way sidewalk etc and go to the truck and crank up the ac, I thank he working at capt D'S NOW:walking:

MoviePimp
09-17-2006, 01:29 AM
I think one treatment of the How not to use your linetrimmer thread would correct that behavior.

I have had the blow in circle guys. I mean really how difficult is it to figure out, you gotta aim at the grass to get it in the grass.

But my biggest pet peeve is the guys who don't want to run the blower above idle or are always jackrabbitting the trigger.

Or they run the blower full throttle for no reason. Blew off the area and while walking to another area with throttle still wide open manage to blow grass back onto the clean area. Duh. Almost as bad as when you are talking to the customer and collecting money they walk by blaring and kicking up dust at you. :dizzy:

garth1967
09-17-2006, 04:53 AM
i havent read all the posts but im answering the Q yes he has worked for me .tell him to sit in the van and wait for the news to come on the radio and then give you a run down .he will eventually ask why do you always want me to listesen to to the news .you will answer because you grab the blower to early:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Phoenix
09-17-2006, 07:26 AM
What keeps him around is the fact that he is never late, no BS days off, and doesn't complain.

Well, sounds like he could be a keeper if you can get him on track.

Do you have morning pep rallies? You know, a short little crew meeting before you head out for the day? If not you may want to give it a try.

I used them to go over what a great job I thought they had done as a team (s) (the day or week before), we went over customers compliments (make some up if you have to), complaints (You can make one up if yo have to, donít dwell or harp, try and get them to come up with a corrective action.) and what needed to be done for the week. What I found to be of great help to my crew(s) is to discuss with them why we need to do things in a particular order and at times ask them if they knew of ways a yard could be done faster while retaining quality workmanship. Challenge them, but donít belittle those that come up with even the dumbest of ideas. Instead, use it as an opportunity to explain the process of finding the most efficient way to do a yard.

By getting the whole team involved should help to get them thinking what they could do as a team to do the best job they could do, the fastest way they could do it.

Stay positive and never single any one person out and get them thinking as a team.

YardPro
09-17-2006, 06:46 PM
man this guy really gets around....
he was here in NC working for me too....LOL

terrapro
09-17-2006, 10:05 PM
hold on!.....is his name brad?

DBL
09-17-2006, 10:14 PM
never thought wed have a thread about this but this happens everytime the guy gets done trimming fast if he slows down he always on time but he sometimes is ahead of the game

FIREMAN Q
09-18-2006, 11:30 PM
LMAO...I take care of a condo complex and it takes about 3 hrs with a 3man crew. I had a friend filling in (he has worked for me in the past) on this property. I had him doing the trimming which normally takes 2 hrs. About 30 min to an hour into it he is already walking around with the blower...I drive the Z over to him and tell him he needs to do a little more trimming. (We are completely on the other end of the complex) so he drops the blower and then walks back to the trailer without it and gets the trimmer...WORK SMARTER NOT HARDER!!!! i can't tell them enough.

mythntr
09-19-2006, 03:02 AM
I had a newbie for 3 days in a row that couldnt figure out whether the toro 21 inch was cutting or not. He would lift up the drive handle and then mow the lawn. Never engaged the blades. Sure made for some doubletakes when the blower guy would go to the back yard and see it unmowed.