PDA

View Full Version : mason Dump Or pick up with dump insert?

ChipsEarthWorks
09-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Hey guys quick question? If you guys had a choice netween buying a mason dump or buying a reguler truck and putting a dump insert in it which would you chose and why?

Know keep in mind you all ready have a dump trailer(6ft by 12 ft 10k) but you need a another truck to help pull it and use it for snowplowing,pulling equipment,and such. (compact tractor,mower,etc) Which would you chose?

Gravel Rat
09-14-2006, 12:18 PM
It all depends on how much hauling you want to do. You have to keep in mind a dump insert would never pay for itself it would be more for convenience. If you already have a P/U to put the insert in then its a little cheaper. If you don't have a P/U truck and you have to buy one plus a new dump insert that will cost you more than a cab and chassis and buying a mason box.

ChipsEarthWorks
09-14-2006, 01:30 PM
See what it will be used for is to take place of my current truck (95 2500 ram v10) just because it is not only the only work truck but also my dailey driver, so I am looking to get another truck to use soley for work and still have the dodge for estimates,daily driver and a back up incase something breaks.

As far as how much hauling i plan to do...not sure i can haul up to 10k in the dump trailer and if need more then that I can get a tri axel to deliver (they are a dime a dozen around here) But what i am trying to see is what would be the most cost effective type truck to buy? I would only use the dump part for small stuff (like if someone wantes say 2 yards of mulch stuff like that) and where the trailer could not get to ( say around the back of a house) but for the heavier stuff and where it can get to i would use the trailer. Make sense?:dizzy: It would also be used to help pick up some bigger plowing accounts like small lots,and such.( nothing huge it is just me)

Ron's Lawncare
09-14-2006, 08:18 PM
maintenance on a 1 ton dully is more expensive. than maintenance on a 1 ton pickup. also insurance is 30-50% more on a dump truck. a pu with an insert will dump anything you can load it with. mine will dump 6000 lbs but i can only legally carry 1600 lbs because i only have an 8600 lb gvw 3/4 ton. i do put 3 yards of mulch in it regularly but 1 1/2 yards of loam is really pushing it.
for plowing, if you are doing driveways a one ton dully is to wide for lots they work great so you need to weigh what you need this truck to do.

Travel'n Trees
09-15-2006, 02:05 AM
Their is a 3/4 dually made in 2001 and 2002 even with duramax and allison. Also you could ad the dual wheel adapters to a 3/4 ton. I have hauled way more on those adapters on 3/4 ton duramax, than my f-550 powerstroke could even think about pulling. I am actually thinking of selling the 550 and doing another 3/4 ton duramax, less insurance, in Missouri I avoid a bunch of legalities.

Ron's Lawncare
09-15-2006, 06:57 AM
Their is a 3/4 dually made in 2001 and 2002 even with duramax and allison. Also you could ad the dual wheel adapters to a 3/4 ton. I have hauled way more on those adapters on 3/4 ton duramax, than my f-550 powerstroke could even think about pulling. I am actually thinking of selling the 550 and doing another 3/4 ton duramax, less insurance, in Missouri I avoid a bunch of legalities.

in DOT's eyes all you can haul with a 3/4 ton is what's on the door sticker 9200 lbs gvw on a gm truck.

Gravel Rat
09-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Oh man if someone is suggesting using a 3/4 ton with dually adaptors has no frigging clue about trucking.

In this area you get in accident with a loaded truck and it comes down to finding out you were grossly overloaded your insurance is void instantly so you won't get a dime for the truck you wrecked. Now if you killed somebody no insurance to pay for that so your looking at another very large bill you might aswell sell your house. Then your looking at probable jail time.

If you are going to go with a truck with a mason dump it should be minimum F-450 sized truck a F-350 doesn't have the carrying capacity or any 1 ton truck beit Dodge or Chevy.

If you are going with a insert try find one made of aluminum something light so the truck will have atleast some payload. A 3/4 ton with a estimated tare weight of 7000lbs add the weight of a insert 800lbs. A estimated payload you will have left would be 1400lbs that isn't much maybe 1/2 a yard of gravel.

I looked at GMC it says a 3/4 ton has a payload of 4058lbs what are they smoking the gvw its 9200lbs so GM is saying the truck has a empty weight of 5100lbs they must be snorting sugar up their nose when they came up with that figure. A duramax powered 3/4 ton 4x4 would easily weigh 7000lbs empty. To get a 3/4 ton light enough the truck would have to be a 2wd gas manual transmission bare bones basic truck.

A GMC 1 ton cab and chassis with a mason box would have about a 4500lb capacity.

If you want to stick with a Dudge you can try one of their new cab and chassis trucks they would have about the same capacity as a GMC. A 12,000lb gvw is just too low.

ChipsEarthWorks
09-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Okay guys no need to get in an uproar, Gravel rat I understand where you are coming from about weights,overloading and such. But You have to understand If I need to carry heavy i either put it in the dump trailer (which is rated for 10k) or if i need that much i just call up the people i know around here that have triaxels,( they are a dime a dozen around here) All i am looking for is the something small that if someone only needs a couple yards of say mulch or stone (not to much) i can use that instead f having to haul out the trailer for just a couple of yards, Am I making any sense? I also want a dedicated work truck so i am not beating up my current truck which is also my daily driver. I see what you mean about nothing lower then a 450 But i have not found any (yet at least) that are worth a dam they are either way overpriced or beat to ****. So there lies my dilemma

Scag48
09-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Depends on how much you want to spend, really. You can get a decent P/U for $15,000-$20,000 and throw an insert in there. Or you could spend just a little more, get an F450-550 for $25,000 with a dump box. Personally, I'd go the 450-550 route. You could get 2-3 yards of material in the box whereas the insert would only get maybe 1-2 yards at most. And with a dedicated dump it's actually built for the weight and abuse, the inserts are made for the abuse, but not quite to the same level as a mason dump. Plus and F550 will take one hell of a beating, you could keep a truck like that for a long time wihout any serious component failure.

But you have the best plan, just hire someone with a triaxle to do the bulk of your hauling. The rest of everyone on here would try to bid a mulc job that requires 50 yards and try to haul it themselves 5 yards at a time thinking they'd make money on the deal. So let me congratulate you for realizing that mason dumps are for small tasks only and that the big hauling should be left to actual dump trucks.

hosejockey2002
09-15-2006, 09:15 PM
I looked at GMC it says a 3/4 ton has a payload of 4058lbs what are they smoking the gvw its 9200lbs so GM is saying the truck has a empty weight of 5100lbs they must be snorting sugar up their nose when they came up with that figure. A duramax powered 3/4 ton 4x4 would easily weigh 7000lbs empty. To get a 3/4 ton light enough the truck would have to be a 2wd gas manual transmission bare bones basic truck.

GM is not snorting sugar or anything else up their nose when they came up with that figure. That tare weight is for a 2WD regular cab work truck with the 6.0 and automatic transmission. You are correct, a diesel extended cab 4WD truck does weigh close to 7,000 pounds empty. However, my 2500HD with Maxidump insert, a full tank of gas and me behind the wheel weighs 6500 lbs. That gives me 2700 lbs., and the way the truck is balanced I can put that whole 2700 in the bed and not overload the rear axle as long as the load is slightly biased toward the front. I have close to the same payload as a 3500 dually with a mason dump. I saw one go over the scale at the pit where I get my material and it weighed 9,000 lbs. empty. This one was a Dmax, so a 6.0 powered truck would weigh around 500 pounds less. Even then, that truck would only have a 2900 pound payload. If I ever feel the need to haul more weight I'll skip the 1 ton duallys and go to 450/4500 or 550/5500 series trucks.